Saturday 19 April 2008

Scenes from the market

As I mentioned the other day, this blog marks its second anniversary this month. To mark the occasion, I thought I'd open up a little.

These images are taken from Talad Phlu, the fresh market were we live in Thon Buri, starting with the local railway station, perhaps its key feature. Like the gaudy purple?




The market is well known for its traditional Thai dessert shops (see above), and sleepy way of life.

Nearby, locals gather by the overbridge each day to drink coffee, which is brewed in a traditional style.

Handsome Thai-Chinese lads run the coffee shop. Unfortunately, I have none of their pictures to show you.

I have seen these guys gather there for years; I remember their faces, even if we have never met.  For more, try this site.

Under a bridge next to the canal are basketball courts, where local youngsters also kick ball. I head down there often to watch the long-tailed boats whizz by and chat to passersby. Below is a scene from Bangkok Yai canal, which runs along one side of the market, and where betel traders used to gather many years ago.

2 comments:

  1. excuse my intrusion :)

    i discovered your blog following a link and to my surprise and delight you actually included me in your blogroll! thank you!

    the black and white images are terrific. reminds me of those early Life Magazine photojournalism only the ones in here have distinct asian flavor.

    congratulations on your blog anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Loud Cloud. I wish I could take pictures as good as these.

    I am sorry it took me so long to respond to your message.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.