Friday 16 February 2007

Noodle boy returns

The noodle boy is back, after an absence of many months. I saw him toiling at his noodle stand on my way to work today.

As I passed in the bus, I saw he had the same skinny backside, broad shoulders, and asthmatic-looking chest as before. Put like that, he doesn't sound appealing, but you need to consider the overall picture. He is a most enigmatic, even beautiful young man - but unfortunately might also be straight.

Months ago, he just disappeared one day, and someone who looks remarkably like him, probably his brother, took his place. Perhaps M and his elder brother work on rotation every six months, and spend the rest of the time back at home in the provinces.

I probably won't talk to him again, as these days I am fussy about what Thais call 'form'. Now that I am getting old, I need to consider how my behaviour looks in public.

I don't want to embarrass myself in front of strangers. I try to save those occasions for friends and the boyfriend, as I know they will forgive me.

Chatting up noodle boys on the street is not a good look. We need to find somewhere private.

I could buy them beer, or try walking past with a young woman friend (to get his attention). If I am feeling really bold, I could also ask if I could take his photograph.

The first and third options carry the risk that he will simply refuse, with the result that I look stupid.

The beer trick might work, but then his brother might be inclined to ask why I never considered buying him a drink over the last six months. I have walked past enough times, but studiously ignored him.

The answer is obvious: he is not the same young man as his younger brother.

I am not yet sure how to react to M's re-appearance. I had actually given up any hope that I would see his pretty face again.

I don't want to pick up at the same place where we left off, as that was heading nowhere. It's time for a fresh start - but I fear I have exhausted all my options.

Let me see - what were they again?

1. Talking.

2. Not talking.

I've tried both, and neither worked, so I might just have to sit on the idea a while, until I can handle the suspense no longer.

In self-critical moments, I ask why I want to know another boy with a skinny butt. I already have one of them: the boyfriend.

Really, I just need to get another look at that pretty face. Now, how best to do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.