Thursday 3 May 2007

How much longer?


I am at home at night with the boyfriend, which is a rare event. He is making curry, then going out to work.

'Why aren't you going out for a drink, as you normally do?' he asked.

I want a rest first, I said. I am also hoping for a cuddle - which I probably won't get.

Maiyuu doesn't know what to do with himself when I show an interest in him. It is almost as if he would rather go back to the days when I barely noticed him.

Earlier tonight when I left home I hugged him. As I held him by the waist, my hand brushed against his bottom, and he backed away.

I have no sense of timing or place, he says, which means I ask for affection when he is too busy. As I show more interest in him, he becomes more wary.

He did agree to a parting kiss, though.

Last night, I went to my regular drinking spot in Thon Buri. At 3am, the owner and I visited a fruit and vegetable market below Siriraj Hospital. It is close to a railway line and appears like a well-lit beacon in a black desert.

We go there to buy ingredients for food which which Mum, the owner, makes for late-night customers at her shop.

Mum paid for our taxi there. I would pay for the return fare, we agreed - but being Thai, and not wanting to impose, she found a three-wheeled motorcycle, or tuk tuk, to take us back instead (they are cheaper than taxis).

The place was teeming, despite the unsociable hour. Men and women, boys and girls of various ages, most of whom are probably selling produce straight off their farms.

We passed row after row of shops where stallholders were busily selling meat, fish, vegetables, spices, herbs. Some family members sold produce, while others carted it around, cut it up, and sorted it, before putting it on display.

Men carting huge boxes of fresh goods or pushing trolleys wove around us in the aisles. We joined a long tail of customers, moving slowly from one stall to the other. With so many people selling the same thing, how do you choose where to go?

One man asked Mum if I was her boyfriend. 'No - a girlfriend,' she joked (เพื่เอนสาว).

Mum wants us to be together one day. 'We don't have to have sex, we can just look after each other,' she says.

Lately she has been telling me stories about her family and childhood growing up in Esan. She was supposed to go back there this week, for her first visit home in four years, but had to call it off, as the shop is so quiet at the moment that she doesn't have enough money.

'When I go back, my family expects me to pay, because I am from Bangkok, and they don't have much money.'

I doubt the traders in the market have much money, either. Who knows where they sleep, or even whether they get much rest. The place is full of 1000 stories, which I will probably never know.

I can't even get inside the head of my own boyfriend. Now there's a mystery.

3 comments:

  1. After nearly six years with a Thai partner, I have his consistant love, but know now not to try to be rational and just enjoy it his way and it works out even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried reverse psychology with the bf?

    1. The more you need him and chase him, the more he will try go get away from you.

    2. If you don't need him and don't chase him, but enjoy yourself alone or in the company of someone else, he will chase you. BUT this must be real, just pretending not to need him will not work.

    If (2) fails too at least you have tried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to the first comment, I think that sounds fine as long as both partners are happy with that arrangement.

    However, sometimes I have needs at inconvenient times (for him), and to let him dictate the terms of when and where I get affection would not work.

    It would be too easy for a boyfriend who didn't want affection to forever come up with a new excuse not to give it.

    As for the reverse psychology question, yes, I have tried it, but it doesn't always work. The other night I left for work without giving him a goodbye kiss. He noticed, and asked me why I was behaving so strangely.

    Later the same night after coming home from work, I lay on the bed rather than heading straight out for a drink as I normally do.

    He thought that was so odd, he asked me if I wanted to see a doctor.

    At the moment, I am not the one with the power in the relationship, as I need affection more than he does. When the balance changes and he needs affection more than I do (should that day ever arise!), then I will be the one in a position to call the shots.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.