Wednesday 1 July 2009

Your blog comments



Thank you for the response to yesterday’s post inviting more reader comments.

Readers have weighed in with ideas about where this blog has gone wrong lately, and what it’s doing right.

I have responded to almost everyone, in the comments section of the post. Let me put up a few highlights here, positive and negative. They comprise the name of the poster, a quote from what he/she said, and my response:

Anon 2:

--'As to what to write about, I believe that the majority of readers are interested in the daily life of Bangkok. For those of us who live in Farangland nearly EVERYTHING you see and do daily is different and unique to us. When I am in Thailand I feel like I am on a different planet. If you write using a little descriptive style, I believe virtually anything about life in Bkk holds interest.'

You make good points. I have to remind myself that life here is very different from what I could expect should I still be in the West. Sometimes I take it for granted, especially when I spend the day cooped up at home.

As you say, even humble excursions to the doctor can be interesting, if they are written up with a little style - highlighting those little details which point to the differences between life as we would expect it in the West, and what we get here.

Kriz:

'All I can say is that maybe you should get out of the house more often and explore your surroundings and take us along with you.'

I agree. I should.

I still believe that a story about a visit to the doctor (say), well told, is better than yet another humdrum post taking you on a tour of some part of Bangkok.

I am more interested in people, and what makes them tick, than I am in places, and I suspect most readers are the same.

Inbkk:

'I live in Thailand myself, and I like to read about other farang experiences. I see some new interesting blogs sprouting and some others losing steam...I am sorry to say yours is not in the first group...’

I am sure you do. Let me guess: Another cynical tale about Thai bureaucracy at the airport? The hopelessness of Thais in the classroom, as seen by a foreign teacher?

Why do so many foreigners living here just want to hear about other foreigners and their experiences of living in this place?

I would rather hear about Thais, thanks very much - I don't know about you, but that's why I'm here.

Many foreigners who live here are on a tourist visa, endlessly extended. Do they have much commitment to the place? They never know from one 90-day extension to the next how much longer they can stay.

Even those foreigners who work and live here legally are but migrant labourers. We are cut off from Thai life. Most of us get to meet few people of any note.

But if I was to write about those foreigners who stand out here, and have made a success of their lives, would you be interested in their stories, or would you try to take them down a peg (as so many other foreigners do) for having the effrontery to fit in?

Foreigners who 'fit in', or who lived here a while and are happy with their lives, might have less to say. Maybe I have been here too long to contribute anything much more interesting to a blog. Time will tell.

-
Please keep the comments coming. Reader reaction shapes what this blog is.

A few readers reckon the blog has become more boring since I moved to my new place. I get out less, and meet fewer Thais.

I looked up my blog tracker to see if readership has declined in the four months since we left. Google Analytics tells me it is steady. It still pulls an average of 900-1000 unique visits a day.

Thank you for your support.

2 comments:

  1. 11 comments:

    bobsaigon1 July 2009 at 03:25
    Why do so many foreigners living here just want to hear about other foreigners and their experiences of living in this place?

    I’ve been living in Thailand for short and long periods of time since 1977. I still haven’t figured out the people, at least not to my satisfaction. OK, maybe I’m very slow to catch on, slow to understand the people I’ve been dealing with for so many years. The fact is that for me, there remain so many mysteries concerning Thai ways. That is why I want to hear about other farangs, to see how they react to Thailand, how they deal with their BF’s and other Thais. It is this interaction that draws me to read the blogs. I have zero interest in commentaries about Thai entertainers, even if this lack of interest might be keeping me from a better understanding of Thai culture.

    Just one more thing- Please tell us how you avoid obesity. Photos of Chef Maiyuu’s creations always whet my appetite.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous1 July 2009 at 07:53
    Dear BKK,
    I did not mean you should do a travel log. What I meant by getting out of the house if just that, get out and meet interesting people and tell us about them. i do enjoy the way you have with words.

    in any event, it was just a suggestion. Only YOU can find the right balance for your blog.

    Good luck!
    Kriz

    ReplyDelete

    Wilko1 July 2009 at 11:16
    Beautiful photos, Maiyuu. :)

    For the record, BD, l actually love the 40's era and all types of music, though l am not at all familiar with Thai music except what has accompanied Tony Jaa videos!

    l recently went to a fancy dress party dressed in a 40's tea dress, l spent a fortune having my hairdresser do my hair in 40's style how strange you picked that era as an example......spooky. ;)

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous1 July 2009 at 13:38
    Silom Farang just posted a VERY INTERESTING tale about some of the dishonest practices unsuspecting Thai tourists are falling prey to.. so far it has elicited 12 COMMENTS.. not one of which he had to beg for.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous1 July 2009 at 13:47
    BKK It's your blog , and so far I enjoy it , what ever you do is fine with me.

    Fryslân

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer1 July 2009 at 19:16
    Bobsaigon: That sounds perfectly reasonable to me, and thankfully there are many places on the net where you can find such information.

    I am not yet obese, though I am putting on weight. When a young niece of mine saw me a couple of months ago, she patted my (still small) tummy, and said: 'Uncle, who's been eating sweeties?

    Kriz: I really do need to get out more. Once I have sorted out my ants-in-the-keyboard problem, I shall give it my full attention.

    Wilko: I wish we could see that 40s dress, and the hairdo! I love fashions from that era. I am sure you looked terrific.

    Where did you find the tea dress? How was it received? I hope you made a grand entrance, dear.

    Anon: I have read about it elsewhere, thanks.

    Anon (Fryslân): Thank you. That's kind.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevo331 July 2009 at 19:44
    I think it would be great if you brought a camera around with you here and there to take pictures of the places you tell us about. Or maybe do some exploration around the city, places you haven't been? Or even leave Bangkok for a weekend excursion? That would be great blog material!

    ReplyDelete

    Wilko1 July 2009 at 22:54
    l got the tea dress from e-bay for £7.50, bargain. l wore black satin gloves, a black lily and netting in my hair. As l have curly hair anyway, l had a mass of curls at the back and roll round the front and sides 'a la' WW2 style. Cigarette holder with fake cigarette. seamed stockings and 40's style shoes. l felt a real lady but looked 100 years old!!! lt was great fun. ;) lf l feel brave l'll e-mail you a pic.....gulp!

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer2 July 2009 at 01:17
    Black lilly in the hair! Mass of curls! Even a cigarette holder!

    Please, we need to seee this. You sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

    Wilko2 July 2009 at 08:44
    Haha. lf l can buck up the courage.....

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer2 July 2009 at 08:48
    Go on, girl - you can go for it!

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.