Thursday 6 August 2009

Recycled reader reaction

Anon the Shrink sent a message disputing my assertion that according to him, gay blogs should all be set in a sauna. I deleted him.

Another courageous anonymous poster sent me a bitchy message telling me how to write an interesting blog (by implication, this is not it).

1. No cooking. Really.
2. Entertainment news...no more than 10%
3. ...

I can’t remember the last part, but it was something about my not leading an interesting life. I deleted him too ('recycled' his comment, if I am being PC).

Anon, I suspect, assumes that I am writing a gay blog. I am not writing exclusively for this group; if I was, I probably would have to set it in a gay sauna, and make sure at least one Thai guy I meet there licks the back of my ear.

I am also writing for young people who like reading about Thai stars. To their credit, they are not interested in whether this blog has a gay theme; they are prepared to read my entertainment news regardless. This is a large and growing reader ‘cohort’, and many of them are women.

I want more women readers; I want fewer bitchy queens with nothing better to do than complain. Can someone arrange it, please?

As for the tales of domestic life with my boyfriend, including the posts on his sumptuous cooking, they are there to impress upon the jaded gay farang readership that a Thai/farang couple can enjoy each other’s company happily, without the need for sauna or gay bar distractions. They can lead a settled, stable life.

Am I making fun of my readers? Not all of you, because not all of you are nasty, bitchy queens with an axe to grind.

Am I challenging stereotypes of what it means to be a gay foreigner in Thailand? Of course. Why should gay life here be any different from elsewhere?

A gay website which ran my piece on Thai boxing star Worapoj Petchkoom (วรพจน์ เพชรขุ้ม) the other day sent me more than 100 readers yesterday. Most are new visitors, and I am sure couldn’t give a toss whether I run cooking pictures, or what my ‘take’ is on Thai life.

They just want to see the boxer take off his clothes. Blogs cater to many diverse groups of readers; not all are foreigners who rarely step outside the sauna or gay bar.

And even if they are that type, so what? Most visitors read this blog without complaint, and if they do get sick of it, act as any sensible, discriminating person would: they leave.

1 comment:

  1. 7 comments:

    Anonymous5 August 2009 at 20:45
    Hi Bkkdreamer
    I have been reading your blog everyday for the past year or so (mainly in work so its a great distraction!) and have enjoyed your thoughts and comments about living in Thailand.
    Its great that you blog about having a normal life, whether this is boring work or mundane day to day stuff and now the fabulous cooking and pictures by the bf!
    There are plenty of other blogs that cater to the sauna and sex side of Thailand and you rightly said this is not part of your life and anyone that wants this is welcome to go else where.
    Its great to see that you and Maiyuu are getting along so well now so keep up the blogging!
    Ommi

    ReplyDelete

    aaronng886 August 2009 at 00:59
    haha thr will always be sour grapes~ leave them be =) their comments are just plain dumb and attention seeking. haha shudn't bother wat others think of wat we blog, except Oprah. ahha if she say i shudn't post pix of myself, i'll stop! promise =p

    ReplyDelete

    neil6 August 2009 at 04:26
    Maiyuu trying to kill you? Such unhealthy food. Pork and chips for breakfast? German sausage and chips the other day with a Carmel Cupcake to top it off. He's after the insurance money. That's like 50 baht?
    Or is it a diabolical experiment to see how big he can make you. Like feeding a guinea pig popcorn till it splits open.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer6 August 2009 at 08:08
    Ommi: Thank you. It is good to know this blog is still wholesome enough to read in the office.

    Aaron: If Oprah told you to stop posting those handsome pictures of yourself, I would be disappointed.

    When do you go home to Malaysia for the holidays, Mr Aaron? And can you last that long?

    Neil: I hope I won't split. He swears I am not getting any bigger. But I might have to wait until my next dose of flu before I lose any more serious weight.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous6 August 2009 at 09:06
    I have truly enjoyed your blog and the beautiful pictures of beautiful young Asian models. I have never been in Thailand. I am sure the so called "money boys or go go boys" that you can be seen in Silom tourist areas are different. Is that so?
    Thanks for your blog
    franciscod@softhome.net

    ReplyDelete

    neil6 August 2009 at 16:28
    If he makes you fat, you wont be able to find (lure) a young replacement form him. Every mouthful of yummy treats keeps him from the door.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer6 August 2009 at 20:13
    Francisco: Thank you. For the money-boy look, I suggest you try Rice Queen Diaries.

    Neil: You think I should start thinking about a replacement, do you?

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.