Monday 16 November 2009

Booted out of the BF's kitchen

Maiyuu made khao tom with squid for lunch yesterday, even as preparations are underway for tonight's birthday dinner.

As the birthday boy, I am guest of honour. Maiyuu has also invited three Thai friends, and Jumbo, a pet Chihuahua.

‘I want to take pictures for my blog,’ I announced.

I will ask our guests' permission when they arrive.

Last night, as part of initial preparations for the birthday meal, he made a chocolate mousse.  This morning, he went to the market to buy more supplies.

As I write, a dish of meat is sitting on the bench waiting to be cooked.

He has also cut up pineapple, and made walnut toffee. 

-
‘Are you up to making one meal by yourself?’ asked Maiyuu caustically.

I happened to mention I was hungry.

For me, hunger is a permanent physical state, or so it must seem to the Master of the Kitchen, who complains that no sooner has he finished making me one meal that I am mooching around with a hungry look, wanting him to make another.

Maiyuu makes breakfast for us every morning. I fool around on the computer, go for a swim and a run. When I come back after lunch, he makes another meal. Sometimes it is sitting on the table waiting when I walk in the door.

At lunch yesterday I decided to give him a break, and bought food from the slum area across the way.

The surroundings may be slummy, but the food is fine. Maiyuu took advantage of his free-time 'window' to buy me a birthday present. He cycled into town and back. Two hours later he turne up with a pair of work trousers.

‘They are B700,’ he said. Birthday gifts for this farang do not come cheap.

I tried them on, but they were too small. In early evening, patient Maiyuu went back to town and changed them for another pair, which look big enough to fit an elephant.

Late yesterday he also managed to rustle up a beef and vegetable soup. How does he do it? We made smart work of that, so that at the time of writing, the pot is now empty. We are both hungry again.

Well, I am...but as I say, my stomach is always crying out for food.

‘You just think you are hungry...but really, it’s all in your mind,’ said Maiyuu, as he sent me to bed last night, food bowl empty. I had complained yet again of being hungry.

This morning, as he headed into the market to buy food for my dinner, Maiyuu asked if I could possibly look after my own needs for a few hours.

‘I will be busy in the kitchen today, making the birthday meal. Can you possibly heat up something for yourself?’

In the fridge, I found the left-overs of a beef curry which Maiyuu had made a couple of days before.

‘Can I have this?’

‘That’s all there is,’ he said. ‘Dish it out on rice, and put it in the microwave,’ he said, like a mother talking to her child.

Am I really so hopeless?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.