Sunday 10 January 2010

Unwilling suitor, reluctant bride (2)

Lort's friends in the chicken shed gave me a quick lesson in bird economics: how much they cost, how much they fetch in competitions.

They also showed me their battle scars, another favourite Thai drinking pastime.

‘I haven’t been able to have children since a vehicle accident many years ago,’ said Lort, pulling up his T-shirt to show me a scar running down the length of his chest and stomach.

‘So they are not your children by birth?’ I asked pointedly.

Earlier, he was boasting about the size of his family. Yet the children in his present family come from his partner's union with her first husband, now dead.

‘I just give my earnings to Ball's mother, and they stay out of my hair,’ he shrugged.

We talked at length about Ball - and his younger brother Beer (Mr B), 16.

Lort said he knew the young men well, as he had been living in the same household as them for years.

'When he's sober, Ball says nothing. When he drinks, it all comes out.

'He and his brother are so different.

'Mr B likes computer games; Ball prefers drink.

'Mr B is outgoing, while Ball keeps everything pent up inside.'

Lort suggested I might like to meet Mr B.

‘Mr B is even more handsome – and super big,’ he added, referring not just to the young man’s physical height or body mass.

Sounds great! Why don’t I just trade in Mr Ball for his younger, larger brother then?

Lort called home. Ball was there, looking after the household’s two babies.

We crossed the vacant lot to Ball's place, so I could be reunited with him.

Today was market day. Traders were setting up makeshift clothes and food stalls in the dust as we crossed the vacant section next to the slum community where Ball and the rest of his clan live.

‘Do you like pork?’ Lort asked.

At his suggestion, I bought slices of pickled boiled pork, so I had something to present to Ball and his Mum. No one should turn up at a Thai home empty-handed.

This was my first time inside Ball's home. The young man looked embarrassed to see me.

His sad face was pale, his clothes ragged, and his arms and legs covered in scabs and bruises.

‘When I get drunk, I like to take out my frustration on walls,’ Ball had told me previously. But the marks looked much more vivid in daylight.

Lort introduced to me to his family: his partner; Ball; and Mr B, his younger but bigger brother.

Also present was their elder sister; her boyfriend, and their infant daughter.

We sat on the floor, as Ball fetched us something to drink.

Ball and Mr B also have an elder brother, Boy, a soldier who is seldom at home.

The list of family members does not end there.

Ball’s Mum also looks after an adopted baby girl who lost her parents.

Both babies slept in cloth hammocks strung across the room.

When he is not working, Ball helps his Mum care for the babies.

Neither of the children was wearing nappies, as Mum had run out. While we sat, a thin stream of urine broke loose from one of the pod-like hammocks.

Ball plucked the baby from its pod, undressed and cleaned her.

'Where did you learn how to do that?' I asked.

'I just copy Mum,' he said.

We were sitting in the living room, on the ground floor of their two-storey, delapidated wooden house.

The space was cramped, but lively. A TV was going in one corner, a washing machine in the other. It reminded me of a student flat.

If I was still in my 20s, I might enjoy living in such a happening place, though probably not for long.

The constant activity going on around me was exhausting. How do these people get any rest?

Ball had attended a job interview at a local supermarket that morning. They gave him the job, and he was to start work the next day.

‘I will sell eggs at a counter,’ he said.

Ball will work a 10-hour day, including breaks, six days a week, for what I imagine is a pitiful wage.

‘You can recommend him for a job at your company. It’s bigger, and I am sure they pay better,’ Lort chipped in.

I’d love to wave a magic wand, I thought, but it just won’t happen.

Ball left school at 15, and hasn’t been back. Why should he get a job when others, more qualified, miss out? That's even assuming I am in a position to 'pull strings', which I am not.

I asked Ball why he did not carry on learning.

‘I am not ready,’ Ball said, his mouth set firmly against the idea.

As we drank in his living room, Lort reopened the conversation he started in the chicken shed, about me investing in a ya dong stand.

He would help me set it up, he said.

‘Who will make the stuff?’ I asked.

‘Oh, it will be like a franchise. You won’t have to do a thing,’ he beamed.

now, see part 3

1 comment:

  1. 8 comments:

    hendrikbkk10 January 2010 at 00:55
    Wow! Great story, I really love it!
    Too bad you passed on the change to be a tycoon in beverages and transportation... dont you love those once-in-a-lifetime business opportunities Thais like to pitch on westerners?
    It seems you are moving close to Ball, so I guess Beer is free for another counselor?

    ReplyDelete

    Kevo3310 January 2010 at 06:36
    "Oh, it will be like a franchise. You won’t have to do a thing,’ he beamed."

    UH HUH, SUUUUUUURE
    :P

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer10 January 2010 at 06:47
    Thai men (of this class?) are money-mad, and drink-obsessed. I wonder which one matters more.

    ReplyDelete

    Glenn10 January 2010 at 07:38
    All that alcohol can't be safe.

    It's not a wonder to me that Beer and the others had no interest in the circle that was drinking. They know well, I am sure, how Ball and Lort act when they are drunk or drinking. And the defense mechanism is to ignore the drinkers. My dad used to drink too much. And the rest of us tried to ignore him as best we could when that happened.

    This is certainly a very interesting look at a slice of Thai life the rest of us will never see...and probably don't want to see.

    If you really want to help Ball, I think you should stop enabling his alcohol problem by buying him drinks of home made whisky.

    ReplyDelete

    Joyce Lau10 January 2010 at 17:51
    Glenn is right. You really offer a colorful side of Bangkok life that most expats don't see. I would never know of stories like this if it weren't for you and your blog.
    I read (via a friend, via a friend) about someone wanting essays on foreign life in Thailand from a different perspective. I pointed them to your blog.
    Maybe you can get a little freelance work out of it!

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer10 January 2010 at 20:05
    Glenn: Thank you, but he won't stop drinking just because I am not buying it for him. He has his own income now, and that home-made stuff is cheap and potent.

    I didn't know that a typical family reaction is to ignore drinkers, though a friend of mine whose father is an alcoholic has told me the same thing. What else can you do, apart from booting him out of the family home?

    Joyce: Thank you for the compliment.

    I did get an email from your referrer friend. The book looks like it is aimed at tourists or newcomer residents. They buy it in the hope of being shown a side of Thai life which others do not get to see.

    I read some patter at the publisher's website about how this or that expatriate author was 'whispering' about where he likes to escape for the weekend - secret hideaways, delightful, as yet-undiscovered eateries, blah blah.

    I don't live that kind of lifestyle, as I don't have the money.

    I doubt readers in that target market (corporates, westerners with high disposable income) would be interested in my stories.

    The closest they would get to a city slum, for example, is to take a bicycle tour through one (they do have such things, believe it or not). And I'm sure they like it that way.

    Even foreigner friends of mine who have lived here for years still talk about 'home' (the country of their birth) wistfully.

    They rarely leave their comfort zone of girly bars, football bars or whatever.

    I say, Let them get on with it. I will carry on with my thing, too, though I also bring readers a slice of that life through this blog.

    ReplyDelete

    Joyce Lau10 January 2010 at 22:25
    Hi BKK Dreamer. Too bad it didn't work out. Honestly, I didn't know much about the publisher or the project.
    You're right that much Asian travel writing for foreigners is like that, and might not be suitable to what you do. In any case, I continue to enjoy your writing here!

    ReplyDelete

    vanja11 January 2010 at 15:52
    i m a flight attendant and already been visiting bangkok for more then 20 years.i have seen bkk change into the megacity it has become now.i really love reading your stories as they indeed have given me more insight in thai way of life and thinking.thanks so much

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.