Saturday 22 May 2010

Doing the best we can?


Bangkok shortly before curfew, at least in the seedy parts of town I pass as I get from home to work and back, is a forlorn place. Shops are closed, and public transport is out. Kids zip about on motorbikes, pointing at the white face.

Taxis have taken fright. Few ply their trade at night, but they started disappearing even before a curfew was declared for the first time several days ago.

I avoided them even before the curfew regime, as my taxi route home would have taken me past a fortified encampment set up by the red shirts. On foot, I was able to cut across railway lines, over fences and past overbridges unseen.

The city cut the lighting, plunging streets into darkness. But never mind. I still felt safer left to my own devices than having to trust anyone else.

-
I am finding it hard to forgive Thais for what they did. The charm has drained away from this place...whatever it is that keeps me living here took a beating over the past few days of violence, senseless looting, and arson attacks on city landmarks.

Artistic types have started a campaign to bring back Siam’s smile. Actors and singer pose [link harvested - it died] before a director’s camera as they tour the wreckage of Silom, like birds picking over a discarded meal. Good luck to you – I won’t be heading there for a while yet.

However, I admire the fire-fighters, medics and so on who had no choice but to venture into that war zone while the fighting was raging.

I admire even more the unsung street cleaners, utilities men, builders and so on who will have to put the place back together again.

Most of all I have praise for the soldiers, even if some of them wore shooting at random. Many are just kids, serving out their time as conscripts.

-
Ball and family have been away for the last two days. When the red shirt leaders surrendered on Wednesday, extremist elements in their ranks went on a rampage, setting fire to prominent buildings – symbols of the city’s establishment and its elite.

Among their targets was the local electricity company. Power to Ball’s slum was cut. When I dropped in to their place in mid-afternoon, the place was in darkness.

Mum and other members of the household were hurriedly packing their things, ready to evacuate to her own mother’s place about 10min away.

On the first day over there, they busied themselves laying floor tiles. They stayed a second night, and again yesterday. Mum mentioned something about her eldest son, a soldier, paying a visit.

‘We are sleeping tops and tails,’ she told me last night. ‘Ball and his elder sister are sleeping with me,’ she said.

Space sounds as much at a premium at her mother’s place as it is her own.

On the night before he left, I spoke to Ball, who was drunk. He asked me why I spend so much time with him, and so little time with my boyfriend.

‘I think you are lonely and bored,’ he said.

True...I am. In the absence of his family, I have spent the last two days at home with Maiyuu, which was dull if bearable. Thankfully, I am still working, or I would have gone spare.

The next night, when I called his mother, he was drinking again. He could not remember any of our conversation the day before, which is typical.

He’ll be back today. I am working, but will drop in at some point.

I am not used to being absent from Ball and his family for so long, and wonder if we can slip back into our old habits as easily as before.

Idle-taxi driver Lort stayed at home. Two days ago, I dropped in to their place to see him. He was sitting idly on the couch.

The power had just been restored, after a wait of more than 12 hours. Dog shit and other detritus had piled up in the alleyway outside.

An uncle figure who helps the family occasionally takes a broom to the rubbish in the alleyway. I doubt Lort has ever lifted a broom in his life.

If slum families are failed families, Lort is part of what holds this one back from doing any better.

Even in the lead-up to the government’s crackdown this week, some Westerners were comparing Thailand to a failed state.

So, what elements do a Bangkok slum family, and Thailand’s ‘failed state’ have in common?

3 comments:

  1. 12 comments:

    Lino in NYC21 May 2010 at 22:29
    "I am finding it hard to forgive Thais for what they did. The charm has drained away from this place..."

    I've had the same feelings here in NYC. Thinking about when, has turned to "if" I'll ever see my Thai friends or my apt over there.

    During the height of the rioting my two Thai buds had to leave the apt 'cause the wind was blowing smoke from parts of SiLom where our place is located.

    The destruction of C.W. and Siam theater are unforgivable and a result of stupid Asian childishness and incompetent protest organizers.

    We here in America have had riots..horrible ones that easily dwarf what happened in BKK, but there is a difference, America is a huge rich country that can absorb almost anything then turn the page and go on rebuilding without outside help.

    What about Thailand? What sort of investors will they now attract...Russian mobsters...or Arab scum..either are most willing to back any sort of dictatorship as long as it keeps dissent down and profits coming.

    During this past week it was heartbreaking to see what was coming and get these missives from Thai friends who were so scared that one said that he wished he had heeded my advice and gotten a passport and tourist visa to come to ny. That is probably the only way I'll see them again.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous22 May 2010 at 07:54
    Apart from nationality, i hope you do not share any similarity with the guy who threatened to burn down Central World.

    ReplyDelete

    hendrikbkk22 May 2010 at 09:03
    I moved out of Bangkok for the time being when my car was stopped and searched by the red shirts a few weeks ago, as I live near lang suan I had to pass some red shirts barricades. The day that happened, I took the plane to Hong Kong where I stay since.
    Next week I will be back to Bangkok and see what I will do, you are right, Thailand is a different place now and I don't know if I like it anymore.
    There is so much to say about this conflict, all very depressing.
    I hope your relationship will Ball and his family will continue.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous22 May 2010 at 09:56
    The anger of the 'have-nots' became very obvious, and nothing has been resolved. This may be just the start. We all know how hard the poor works to keep BKK moving & building and the rich have totally forgot until now.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous22 May 2010 at 16:39
    let them eat cake....this is like the french revolution....the monarchy is powerless in this situation...it will fall apart

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bkkdreamer22 May 2010 at 17:51
    Hendrik: My relationship with Ball and his family will continue, thank you. When we are apart for any length of time I start to have doubts. It is just me.

    Anon: I agree. A similar income disparity holds at my workplace, though the bosses are more feeling, I am pleased to say.

    Anon 2: See this week's Economist (article is online) on the role of the monarchy during the latest crisis.

    ReplyDelete

    Glenn22 May 2010 at 18:45
    I think it was mainly some destabilizing elements that were burning things down. Surely the "have-nots" are not happy about their situation. But I believe this was all much more about politics and those in charge of the movement were able to easily manipulate people. Even if the red leaders were to take political power does anyone really think the lot of the poor would really change very much? These disparities exist all over the world, not just in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer22 May 2010 at 19:01
    Glenn:

    You said:

    'These disparities exist all over the world, not just in Thailand.'

    You've said that before, and I am still not sure what your point is.

    The absurd income disparities which hold here cannot carry on. In Japan the other day, the Thai finance minister said the proportion of farm workers has fallen, and city workers increased. He, too, reckons it's time for change.

    Maybe Thailand's turn has come.

    ReplyDelete

    Bruce Beaudette23 May 2010 at 11:10
    Does Thaksin own Central World? I imagine not. And yet the conflict started when they took one billion dollars away from him. How can economically challenged Thai's defend him? If addresses that he owns were burned as well then I would see the logic in burning down all things owned by rich people. The USA has always needed slave labor, from when people were brought from African to pick cotton, Chinese were brought here to build the railroads across the west, and Latin Americans come here to fruit and vegetables. As a liberal thinker that stuff drives me crazy, and yet I still eat the affordable grapes. Thailand's economy is obviously different and the rich there want to get richer and poor want affordable food and goods. Gosh, I would have put on a red shirt maybe if Thaksin had given his billion dollars directly to the poor, or if had used for college scholarships or at that very least built safer fire exits at DJ Station. But alas the billion dollars that the Thai government took away from was only collecting dust and interest. On an up note, the Thai government can use those funds that took from to clean part of the mess that he made! His wealth finally serving the country!

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bkkdreamer23 May 2010 at 17:09
    No, he doesn't own CentralWorld, but a family which was seen as close to the yellow-shirted PAD does own it.

    You said:

    'And yet the conflict started when they took one billion dollars away from him.'

    It goes back some time before that.

    You said:

    'How can economically challenged Thai's defend him?'

    Beause he did good things for them, which previous governments had failed to do. The answers aren't hard.

    Next time you are in Bangkok, ask a taxi driver why he likes Thaksin. He probably comes the Northeast, where the poorest live.

    ReplyDelete

    vanja24 May 2010 at 16:52
    I am very pessimistic about Thailand s future.Everything i feared for in past few years has materialsed...I dont think we have seen the beginning of the end to this crisis.It s just the end of the beginning...

    ReplyDelete

    James5 June 2010 at 01:56
    This conflict didn't begin when Thaksin's money was taken from it (might look that way, but no true). To analyze it in that way is ahistorical. Thaksin is more symbolic than anything. It's been building for years and finally it's coming to a head. btw suppose I should wait to see what sort of investigation the arsons get before attributing it to any group ~ I believe it was probably a few discounted redshirts, but also since it looks as though it was almost certainly planned beforehand, I'm wondering which red shirt leader would be stupid enough to plan it, knowing it'd finish them politically? I know Thaksin is way too smart for that (though he's done loads of stupid, evil stuff in the past of course).

    Anyway, love the blog. Keep it up =)

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.