Wednesday 23 January 2008

No ordinary massage joint

The market where I live is also home to two enormous massage parlours, with blackened windows and pull-down iron shutter doors.

I went out for a massage to relieve a sore back the other night, my first visit to one of these intimidating places.

They rise four or five storeys, and have large car parks. During the day, police cars sit there idly, while their owners are...keeping the peace?

When I arrived at the first place, I was surprised to find it had closed. The steel door was bolted shut.

I walked 100m to find the other massage place - which bears the innocent name Snow White - only to find that it, too, had finished business for the day.

I was disappointed. Who's ever heard of massage parlours, that double as sex shops, keeping office hours? I went home without getting relief for my back, but given the seedy state of those massage places when seen from close up, perhaps that's just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.