Wednesday 10 February 2010

Dipping a toe in Thai life

A small update on Mr Ball.

Judging by some of the reader responses I have been getting, some of you have some odd ideas about Thais.

One unpleasant character left a message today saying I was having serious ‘boundary’ issues, and that my relationship with Ball was exploitative, built on self-delusion, and so on. He’s poor, and half my age, so I must be up to no good.

Others say we are using each other: I want to feel young again, and like to have someone to paw over. He likes my money.

The truth is more complicated; real life always is. These are stories not just of Ball himself, but also my relationship with his friends and family, and the other characters at carer R’s ya dong stand.

They are about our conflicting expectations, values, and backgrounds, and how we reconcile them. It’s about how people who are so different can still find enough things in common to be friends.

I can’t expect readers will understand or sympathise with all of what happens, especially if it beyond the realm of their own experience.

For the record, Ball is now drinking much less than when I met him. He stays up late, but no longer keeps the ridiculous hours he observed before. He does not have a job, but is making half-hearted attempts to find one.

Now that he knows I live with a gay man, he no longer shows me the affection he once did, as he doesn’t want me to get ideas. He is also worried that people in the neighbourhood will think he is selling himself to this middle-aged farang.

When we say goodbye at night, we shake hands.

All relationships evolve. Ball seems happier now that he is on better terms with carer R. I like to think that he is happy to have me in his life too.

We can both listen as he unloads about his family and girlfriend. He also knows that we can love him for what he is.

The other night, carer R found some bug on the ground, and without giving any warning, dropped it on Ball's lap.

Ball happens to hate this particular type of bug. As it fell in his lap, he was taken by surprise. He jumped back in his seat, and clenched his fist, as if he was about to hit someone.

I felt a wave of sorrow for my young man. He has so little life experience to protect himself against the unexpected. I worry about his welfare, especially in a rough place like the slum.

Sensibly, when he is not at carer R’s place or at work, he spends most of his time at home, rather than mixing with the element in the neighbourhood. He may be wayward, but his Mum has taught him a few lessons in how to look after himself.

At this difficult time in his life, what Ball needs most is friends. Few, if any of his friends from school or work call. ‘My phone is silent all day,’ he says.

In carer R and me, he has found two friends who can help him make sense of the demands which his family and girlfriend place on him.

Naysayers among my readers can think what they like. Over time, I’ll show you just how ordinary – and yet at the same time, how special – my relationships with Ball and my other Thai friends can be.

4 comments:

  1. 11 comments:

    hendrikbkk9 February 2010 at 22:50
    Once again, I have to say, I love your blog and your adventures with Ball, R and the rest of your modly crew are entertaining, to say to least.
    Don't listen to all the advise of those experts on relationships and Thai culture, just do your own thing and go your own way.
    BTW how is taxi driver Lort doing, is he a Red Shirt man?
    BTW2, though I raised the urge for pictures before and you had your reasons not to post those, it will be great to see some snapshots of your gang and the places you frequent.

    ReplyDelete

    Will10 February 2010 at 00:20
    I've been following your blog for almost a year now, and I must say, I'm hooked. I have you bookmarked both on my laptop and blackberry, constantly checking in for new updates.

    Regarding Ball and your relationship with him, no one other than you and Ball know whats best for your relationship. Readers and everyone else will have their opinion, but what matters is what you want. I just hope your relationship with Maiyuu will know suffer.

    P.S. Have I mentioned how much I love your stories? Well, I love them to bits. Better than any dumb soap on tv.

    -will

    ReplyDelete

    oneditorial10 February 2010 at 03:37
    Seeing the picture of fried prawns and rad na, I want to eat it so badly! I cannot wait to go back to Thailand.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer10 February 2010 at 06:05
    Hendrik:

    Thank you. I doubt any of them are experts on Thais. I can tell they view life through a narrow, ill-informed lens; it comes across in their comments.

    Lort is indeed a red shirt man, as is another taxi driver who joins the stall regularly. The other guy, whose name is John, tries to drag me into conversations about politics, but I resist, as that way only trouble lies.

    I don't see him that often, as I haven't visited Ball's place in a while, and Lort tries to avoid drinking at carer R's shop, as he owes a bill of B300 there, going back six months.

    Will: Once again, thanks. I don't think the relationship with Maiyuu will suffer. He knows I need affection - to give it, if not to receive it - and that he could help me in that regard, but fails to do so. In its absence, I have to look elsewhere.

    Oneditorial: I hope you can find yourself a big plate of rad na and fried prawns while you are here.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. guavaishere10 February 2010 at 06:23
    thanks for the welcomeing :DD


    wahh ball... he sounds so cute ^^" haha
    for me i really have a thing for korean guys (xiah junsu, dongjoon, taemin etc etc... CUTE GUYS i love them :D )
    so yes ,,, Ball sounds very attractive XD

    i understand about how ball must feel about the money thing ( my best friend is thai..and live in BKK <- i miss herr D:... but hopefully i can go to Bkk soooooon :DD ) and also my chinese friend...they dont like when i spend money on them ~
    to me it does not seem like either of you are using each other... Friends.. it seems like you are friends (:

    -guava

    ReplyDelete

    TAO10 February 2010 at 08:03
    "Boundaries"

    Not real sure what that means and or who defines the boundaries. The concept of boundaries is cultural and different cultures have different definitions of what is close/too close and what is allowed and by whom.

    As far as what the relationship is built on....

    Its Sanuk...

    Plain and simple...its fun for you and for him...doesn't appear like either one of you is making expectations of the other that is extreme or unrespectful...

    So, keep enjoying yourself and I am sure Ball is enjoying it too...

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous10 February 2010 at 10:46
    Hello, it's the "unpleasant character" again. I wanted to add that I have been reading your blog for well over a year now and enjoy it. I also think that you are at heart, a good and well meaning person. I am sure that you know the excessive late night drinking and massages up to Ball's under pants are pretty marginal behaviors at best, although very easy to fall into in a BKK slum. I was harsh, but didn't mean to be hurtful. Thanks for writng your blog and sharing your life.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bkkdreamer10 February 2010 at 20:11
    Guava: Ball is a cute guy to look at, you are right, but some of his ways with people are winning too.

    The other night my friend, farang C, paid a visit. Ball is mad on English football, and farang C a follower. Ball pumped him with questions for an hour about his favourite teams, Liverpool and (for the pending World Cup) Spain.

    He assumed farang C would know all the answers because he used to live in Europe. Farang C struggled at times to make his answers seem interesting, as he is nowhere near as committed a fan as Mr Ball.

    Ball was delighted to find a friend in farang C who shares his love of football.

    Like Ball himself, farang C is inclined to drink. Ball was worried that farang C might get himself into trouble, so gave farang C advice about how to stay safe in Bkk.

    TAO: It is indeed a relationship built on sanuk (fun). Ball fills a need in my life. I now have someone I can care for and worry about, and I love taking on that role.

    Anon aka 'unpleasant character':

    You think I am a good person at heart? It didn't come across in your initial comment, which was plain offensive.

    You are still wrong to thnk that I am taking advantage of my relationship with Thais who happen to live in a slum to exploit them. The relationship is nowhere near that one-sided. How can it be, when I am a mere foreigner?

    It doesn't matter how good I am with the language, I have my own funny foreigner ways.
    I am a guest over there, and whether my relationships with my Thai friends succeed or not depends on my conduct.

    I agree that some of our late-night drinking drinking has been excessive. I am also trying to wean myself off touching my young friend so much. I like to massage and hold him because that, too, fills a need. However, I am not doing anything wrong, because I love him.

    I want to show Ball that I care for him. I am so protective of him that at times he must feel like telling me to go away.

    I want him to know that - adapating a favourite saying of his, which is also the Liverpool team's motto - in this life, he need never walk alone.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous11 February 2010 at 05:32
    BKK,

    Long-time reader, first-time commenter.

    First I would like to thank you for your candid tales of your adventures. Bravery beyond most of us.

    I also enjoy quite a bit your insights into the clash of farang and thai cultures on the individual level. I have a thai bf who is from a poor, countryside background, and I try to help him "get ahead" as much as possible, since this is what fits with my values. Many bits and parts of your stories resonate with me, and I sometimes share your story with the thai bf. In the end, what is clear, is that each relationship is filled with its own complexities and its own organic evolution. So while we can identify or learn from each other's experiences, in the long run we need to do what makes sense for the relationship, and no one else.

    I would love to hear your thoughts on long term plans (again, very farang question to ask).

    cheers
    Tony

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bkkdreamer11 February 2010 at 05:43
    Anon (Tony): Thank you for your kind comments.

    I am pleased to hear that you can relate to some parts of these tales.

    And you are right, relationships are complex things. We have our own expectations about how they should work, but they do not always accord with those of the other side.

    As for long term plans, I don't any where Mr Ball is concerned, as Maiyuu is my boyfriend, and will remain so.

    Ball is straight, and too young to be entering a relationship with a middle-aged farang. I want him to put more effort into his relationship with Jay, his girlfriend, as I am sure they could make it work.

    I can help Mr Ball in small ways. I don't want to get too involved with his family because his mother gambles. The other night she lost B1200 in a three-hour game. That's money she could have spent on her family, so why should I chip in?

    I'll help Mr Ball in my own way, preferably with things which his mother would be unlikely to buy him anyway, at least in the short term - items such as shoes, and clothes.

    ReplyDelete

    lance11 February 2010 at 09:15
    I am very happy to hear the recent updates. It does seem that you feel like controlling the alcohol consumption a bit more. I like your observation of mums gambling and why should i chip in. Thats good. They have to deal with the cards that they are dealt. So you are showing your fans the dynamics of this multi-national drinking group. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.