Monday 25 February 2008

Comfortable old sweater

Over the space of a few years, my Thai partner has gone from social butterfly to a man about the house. He spends much more time with me than he did in the past.

We both like it that way, as we get to see more of each other. Where once I spent hours if not days alone, now I have his company most days.

'Even after all this time, you still have not adjusted to Thailand,' Maiyuu says. 'You find it hard to spend time alone.'

As he meets more of my needs for human company, I no longer have to look to my friends of the night - young Thai men I meet at Mum's shop in Thon Buri - for social contact.

These days, when I go there, I look forward to seeing Mum's regulars, and shop staff I know. I have known some of these people for six years or more.

I find myself befriending older customers with whom once I would not have bothered. In the past, I sought out the company of young men. Now I am content to mix with people my own age, or older. I appear to have grown up - or become old.

I talk to policeman aged in their 50s, soldiers, lawyers. These men form a hard core of customers who gamble on football games which they can watch on television at Mum's shop.

Many live nearby. I meet their wives and children when they come out to drag them home. I teach English to some of their children. They have invited me to family outings, such as making merit at temples. I seldom go, as I am busy. But it is nice to be asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.