Tuesday 26 February 2008

Romance in the air (1)


One night before Songkran, a young Thai man called me out of the blue. His name was Boy. 'Do you remember me?' he asked.

I could not recall the face, but he was keen to meet. About 24 hours later, I finally remembered: I met Boy about two years ago. From Esan, he had a small, muscular frame, toothy smile, and infectious giggle.

We met one day on the subway, while he was travelling to work at a restaurant on Phra Ram 3.

I noticed him on the subway that day because he was wearing his pants at a low level. He noticed me watching, and seemed to enjoy the attention.

I followed him off the platform and up the escalator. At one point we became separated, but when I caught up with him on a level above I saw he was using a public telephone.

I doubt he really needed to call anyone; he was just waiting for me to catch up with him. Now that we had found each other again, it was my turn to wait. I pretended to look for something in my bag.

When we reached street level, I summoned up the courage to talk. If I didn't say something now, we would probably head in opposite directions, never to see each other again.

I asked him where he was going, and found we were heading in the same direction. We decided to walk together.

As we crossed an over-bridge towards the bus stop, a couple of middle-aged Thais gave me an unpleasant look, as if they suspected that he was a 'mere' bar boy and I was a dirty old tourist.

That was the first time I could recall anyone giving me such a look. I felt ashamed at first, then annoyed. I am not sure if Boy noticed; maybe he was used to it.

I visited him a few days later, when his restaurant – an up-market wooden place with outdoor seating, close to the Chao Phraya river - was all but empty.

When I walked in, Boy was sitting with three or four waitresses. He looked embarrassed, and hurriedly took me outside to a quieter place where we could talk.

We chose a table hiding behind large potted plants. I liked the simple way he dressed – white singlet, jeans.

Boy liked music. At night, after he quit work, he liked to visit an email shop, and send me songs which he found on-line. I thought our budding friendship had promise, as he was a sweet, romantic kid.

But a couple of months after we met, he quit his job and returned to Pattani to stay with his family. He did nothing there, I was to learn later - no work, or study. He merely... existed.

I did not hear from him for two years. The night that Boy renewed contact, he had just arrived back in Bangkok. He had found work in a small karaoke bar, and was staying on Phra Ram 3 with two friends.

Over the next two days Boy phoned several times a day, asking if I would like to meet him.

I liked the way Boy laughed on the phone. I was excited about the prospect of seeing him again. About three days later, we agreed to meet.

now, see part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.