Thursday 15 May 2008

Show him who's boss

A regular reader who posts bravely behind the name 'anonymous' has been offering me advice on what to do with my boyfriend.

For his own good, he says, I should force him out to get a job. I should give him a deadline, and if he fails to meet it, tell him to find a new home.

Anonymous was annoyed when I said I might have to negotiate with boyfriend Maiyuu before I visit the dentist next week. I want to make sure I have the money in hand when I go for my appointment.

I have asked Maiyuu to withdraw the money from our main account. For the sake of convenience, and because I like to 'empower' him with responsibility for the finances, he holds the ATM card.

If he does not give the money to me, I would have to use my own money, which would be silly, as I would rather keep that for when we really need it.

The anonymous reader reckons I lack the courage to upset him. He says I have fallen into an unhealthy relationship of co-dependency with my boyfriend, and that he should contribute financially, or get out.

Of course he should get a job, and help me pay the rent. It all sounds wonderful, in theory.

A few practical obstacles remain.

My boyfriend is gay. I can't expect him to cut up pig carcasses in a fresh market.

He has skills in particular areas, such as cooking, clothes-making and design.

I would like him to get a job which makes use of those skills...but at his age, and with his lack of qualifications, finding such jobs is hard.

If he does find such work, probably it will be through friends, not by knocking on doors.

Even if he gets the job of his dreams, it will be poorly-paid. The cost of getting to work and back will consume most of his earnings, and I will rarely see him.

But let's put that to one side. The farang critic says he must get a job!

Thanks to me, Maiyuu's days of flipping hamburgers at McDonalds, which he did when he first arrived in Bangkok years ago, are over.

That's me indulging him, Mr Anon would say. True, I wouldn't want to see him in such unrewarding work. But they wouldn't want him anyway - he's too old.

In any case, why should it be my job to lay down the law? Some foreigners appear to think that it is their duty, if not their right.

I have tried the confrontational approach. It makes him angry and does not always lead to an improvement.

I now try more subtle approaches, which over time I hope will achieve the same result.

Maiyuu owes it to himself to get a job and build a better life. If I fell under the Klong Toey bus tomorrow, he would have no home, no job, and no money.

If it was me, I would do whatever I could to make myself as financially independent as possible, for my own peace of mind.

I don't know how he lives with himself, knowing that his health and general welfare - whether he even has a roof over his head - depend on keeping this farang happy.

That's not a fair or satisfactory basis on which to run a relationship, and gives rise to Mr Anon's complaint that we have fallen into a co-dependency rut. Or to put it another way: Where is Maiyuu's self-respect?

That's the way foreigners think, anyway. My Thai boyfriend had a tough childhood. My upbringing in the West was privileged by comparison.

I don't really know what he thinks about financial independence, the power to make one's own decisions in life. He's never had much money. Before he met me, he went from job to job in different provinces, moving about the place with friends.

He would probably think independence was a great idea - if he thought it was possible to achieve.

Someone has to show him that with his skills and background, such goals are still attainable.

I hope that day comes for him - but it won't come if any sooner if I force him out to find a job he does not want.

I shall have to work on him in more subtle ways, which seem lost on some foreigners, whose first instinct when confronted with a Thai boyfriend who does not behave in the way they expect, is to lay down the law.

That might work in a relationship of equals, which each partner gives as good as he gets, and can afford to walk away.

But Thais from poor families do not always think of themselves in such terms, at least where the mighty farang is concerned.

I have education and money which my Thai boyfriend lacks. Mr Anon thinks I should wield the power which those advantages confer to get my way.

I wonder what would happen if Mr Anon should happen to end up with a noodle-cart worker for a mate rather than a tertiary-educated student, which he has at present.

Now, he can afford to insist on equality - if his Thai friend is prepared to pay his share, then he is showing respect to the farang.

Mr Anon has a Thai friend who reckons it's a good thing if a Thai date can pay his own way at least five times, to show he's 'serious' about the farang.

Not all relationships here fall into that tidy category. Just how much money do you think a poor Thai who left school at 15 or 16 can bring to the household?

Want him to 'pay his share' at the movies? Take me out for a meal, to show he really loves me?

Perform any number of other financial tests to show he genuinely cares?

I don't care for the farang money test. It's cheap, nasty and demeaning. Its advocates sound like outsiders...foreigners perpetually on the outside, looking in.

I wonder how the farang who advocates that his Thai dates jump through such hoops would feel if he was the one on the receiving end - told he must pay for this, pay for that, before he qualifies for the exalted status of 'boyfriend'.

Few Thais would insist that farang perform such tricks. They treat them with more respect.

8 comments:

  1. You didn't mention the high value Thai's place on a good heart, way beyond money. It still after seven years amazes me..he knows my intent.
    As for working..let me tell you what my partner makes working for a Swedish co here....10,000 B a month, plus 70B overtime. Now try living off this, with more than half going towards food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. My boyfriend has no leaving-school qualifications, as his parents died when he was 15-16.

    The cynics who advocate that prospective Thai boyfriends pass financial tests have little idea of what it is like to live on so little - and to go to work day after day, knowing their income is unlikely to improve much over time.

    If Thais place a high value on someone having a good heart, and they do, then they are unlikely to find it in farang who insist that they pass a money test.

    That foreigner already suspects Thai motives...that they are interested in him just for his money. He does not appear to know Thais well at all.

    The foreigner who insists that Thais prove their love, by paying their own way, is a foreigner who appears to believe that he, too, has little to bring to the relationship. Can a Thai not love him for what he is?

    Apparently not, because the money thing always gets in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read your blog with much interest ever since I stumbled upon it a month ago, even reading back through all the back entries (and there was really a lot to read through!)

    And I've also read the critiques that "anonymous" had of your relationship in the various comments he's posted so far.

    Initially I tend to agree with him, especially on the occasions where Maiyuu seemed to be taking advantage of you financially.

    However, it occurred to me that your situation is not so uncommon. In a relationship where one partner has the ability (due to difference in age and education level)to earn much more than the other, these circumstances will occur.

    After all, in heterosexual relationships, there are those where the husband is the breadwinner and while the wife stays at home and looks after the house and family. It is a symbiotic relationship. And I guess in your case it is not much different. You provide the financial support for the family, and Maiyuu takes care of the household.

    What I personally think is important is that Maiyuu learns to be more independent, because ultimately you are older, and there will come a time when he can no longer depend on solely you. But then again, perhaps the Thai mentality of living a day at a time may go against planning so far ahead into the future, and it would be up to you to see how you can broach this idea to him.

    Anyway, all the best, and keep the posts coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read all of your posts too. And I often wonder why you put up with everything that you do from Maiyuu. But then I figure it's your life and as a good friend of mine often says "you must be getting something out of it" or you would change it. So, far be it from me or any of us really to judge from the outside.

    I do wonder though, what does he do all day? If he is just sleeping and watching TV that's not much of a life for anyone. I wonder if perhaps he isn't clinically depressed. Could he attend school or a trade program to get him out of the house and learn some useful skills for life with or without you? You say he likes to cook, could he get work in a restaurant? It's hard work and long hours for little money, but at least he would be contributing to the household.

    I think it's not healthy for him to be sitting at home all day. But I don't have all that much exposure to many Thai people and their mysterious ways. :-) Chok dee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is becoming more active on the housewife front. Today, he spent most of the day re-arranging the place, and cooking.

    I suspect he has been waiting for a signal from me that he could stay at home and be housewife, at least until a new job comes along.

    Now that I have told him that I don't mind, he has set about the task with relish.

    This morning he was up at 6 to go shopping. Tonight, before I left for work, he was talking about visiting a friend who runs a bakery school. Depending on the cost, he might join one of his classes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, you have an error of fact in this post- it was my good Thai friend who suggested the "Thai date pays a share 5 times rule." Should I suggest to him he sounds like an outsider? He also didn't suggest that I demand such behavior, but to use it as a litmus test for a sincere man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's all the comments I am accepting on this post, thank you.

    I have amended the wording of the post to make it clear that Anon's friend who recommended that Thais pay their own way on dates, five times, is himself a Thai.

    Comments are now being moderated, for this and succeeding posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i believe that no1 shld tell anyone else what to do. that being said, i mean, it's okay to convey your opinion on the issue, but do not take for granted that you are in the position of another as you don't know what they;ve gone through at the first place.

    no doubt, giving a piece of your mind wld help spark solutions for another, but do not push for something to happen as everything needs time and understanding. this is not a militant group where orders are superior and you shall die if you don't obey~ hahaha.

    i'll cut my crap short. av1 has their own beliefs, mindsets and way of life. this is due to their environment, upbringing and education. it can be changed, but it requires time and patience both by the initiator and the individual.

    p.s. i speak too much for a kid

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.