Saturday 23 August 2008

Leaving, vs the BF's briefs

My workplace has an official retirement age of 60, and my immediate boss, who is about to reach that age, will soon lose his job, unless the firm re-employs him at cut rates on contract.

They would expect him to perform the same tasks, of course, even if they pay him half price, as they have one or two foreigners before him, who have been here for years and have life-long visas.

They were issued back in the days before the government realised that living here, to some foreigners, was actually worth something.

A contract deal seems unlikely in the case of my boss, as he does not have a life-long visa, and the company can't be bothered applying for an annual visa extension for him after 60. They would rather hire younger (cheaper) labour.

My boss, who has a Thai wife, has little money saved, and does not know how he will survive. 'I should have left Thailand years ago, but never did. No one would overseas want to employ me any more,' he says.

Grimly, I have been wondering whether I will ever share his fate. I am now in my early 40s.

I cannot earn a significant amount more than I make now, as my workplace holds out few prospects for career advancement. We barely manage to save, at least on our present expenses.

The firm views its foreign staff as migrant labourers. It employs us to do what it suspects its own staff cannot.

So what keeps me sane? For the last two days, my boyfriend has been wandering around home wearing the briefest pair of briefs.

Yesterday it was black. Today it is white.

He spends his time sleeping, or cooking. Today he has made pork meatballs, egg soup, and a chili and onion paste for canned fish.

When he steps out doors, he puts on shorts, which again slip low on the waist.

I am not really allowed to touch, though I will steal as many discreet cuddles and kisses as I can. 'You are kissing me too much. It's annoying!' he grumbled last night.

Maiyuu leaves piles of unwashed clothes lying about. Some are stuffed in travel bags which he brings home from overnight visits to work.

When he is away from home, I get lonely. If I open one of his travel bags, the mingling scent of after-shave rises to greet me. Obviously it has been a while since he washed them. On missions to work, he might have worn the same clothes several times, in fact.

I put his clothes to my nose and inhale.

My boyfriend can calm such restless thoughts, and give me the energy to carry on working in a place with little future. 

3 comments:

  1. Have you told all this to the boyfriend? When the day comes that you are no longer able to get a job, will he support you? Tables will be turned one day. Would be interesting to see his reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " to carry on working for people I dislike." oh my is it really that bad over there?

    by the way, instead of questioning him about finances, have you talked to your bf about your reasons for being anxious about financial security, the future, situations at work, etc?

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neil: No, I haven't mentioned it to the boyfriend yet, and my company's willingness to employ foreign staff after they turn 60 could change before then.

    However, I doubt we will ever be in the situation where he has to support me. He could not earn enough for both of us.

    Aurix: No, I haven't. Maybe I should. He will probably say I am thinking too much.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.