Thursday 18 September 2008

Low-rise expectations

Maiyuu was out last night when I returned from work.

Has he gone to inspect a condo? I thought excitedly.

I took a look around the place where he spends most of his days - on his mattress, chatting on the computer, and watching TV.

I found no signs that he had made any progress. He had made a few squiggles on a piece of paper which I gave him - that was it.

I reprimanded myself: Don't be silly! Maiyuu is Thai, so he can leave the worrying about moving home to someone else.

Yesterday I gave him a list of phone numbers belonging to condo and home owners, who have places to rent in the area close to town where we would like to move.

Before I left for work, he called one of the numbers. It belonged to an agent, who said he would check his books. As far as I know, we have not heard back from him since.

'Why don't you call them all today? That way, when you pay a visit to the area, you can drop in to several places at once.'

Maiyuu has yet to bother visiting the suburb where he says he would like to live. I have been two times since last Saturday.

'I don't want to cause myself headaches. I will call them one at a time,' he said.

This morning I sent absent-Maiyuu a text message, asking if he intended to call anyone else on the list.

'Of course I will call them. I am at work now, but will come home soon,' replied the boyfriend.

At the time of writing it is almost midday. If I do not see more progress today, I will take over the task myself.

This must be why I started learning Thai, when I moved here eight years ago. It's so I can help myself, when he hopeless Thais in my life will not.

Postscript: The boyfriend has returned. He is wearing a pair of low-rise jeans, so low they expose most of his backside, below a sleeveless vest.

Combined with the new ultra-short hair-do, he looks great.

I am also given a generous view of a pair of coffee-coloured underpants with a white band.

Mind you, everyone in the bus would have seen them too, so perhaps I should not feel so lucky.

15 comments:

  1. A child like this will never grow up, so you had better find a place for you regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep Maiyu, at least as a trophy partner. Besides, he can cook.

    Now would you show us his stunning silhouette?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was Once: You're right. I can't expect him to grow up much more. As a Thai boy, he may have reached his limit.

    Anon: A trophy partner...hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. To be a trophy, I'd have to show him off...yet he won't go with me anywhere.

    Still, he can cook, so I might keep his identity to myself for a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i find u to be a little stereotyping ain't it? as much as i don't really know thai peeps, but i think maiyuu's attitude does not reflect every other Thai's.

    well, i will say that this attitude is mainly in lazy peeps or perhaps unmotivated ones who aren't exactly very far sighted in planning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob:

    You are right, not all Thais are lazy or unmotivated.

    Westerners are inclined to tackle challenges or problems rather than leave them hanging, especially if something good awaits at the other end - like a nice new home.

    If the foreigner in a relationship takes an aggressive approach but the Thai just sits back and lets him go to it, then the foreigner ends up doing most of the work. That is unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm.. i hate to break the ice, but once again u seem to be stereotyping. i don't think that all westerners are decisive and takes a good approach to solving problems.

    i would actually say that these are all traits and behaviors of human beings in general. There are people who are indecisive, some who solve problems right on and procastinators and the list goes on.

    what i'm trying to say is, it just so happens that all your farang friends seem to be capable of decision making and problem solving while your encounters with Thais who are indecisive and take things a little for granted gave you such perception and thus the stereotype grew.

    At any rate, i know that you feel unfair regarding the situation, but perhaps you can try talking nicely to him about it? all it takes is a good understanding on why does he choose not to do things your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rob, forget about the stereotyping thing...you appear to have a hang-up about it.

    These are just stories. I refuse to get into a debate with you about whether I am being fair on Thais. Ultimately it is my relationship - you are just a bystander.

    By your own admission, you barely know Thais. Try living with one first, and then make a judgement for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anyone who would leave their native country and move to an exotic locale, and willingly take on all the challenges that are part of that process, can probably plan and execute a move across town.

    You're obviously an adventurous and dynamic type of guy.. or you wouldn't have left the states. Whether it's a 'Thai thing' or not, Maiyuu isn't like you.. so maybe you shouldn't expect him to be much help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unrelated: It seems there will be an Asian version of the Eurovision Song Contest..hopefully better then the original.

    Thailand should be able to make a good showing.

    Further unrelated: I went to some of my restaurant locations last night; dead-dead-dead! The yuppies are really scared in this financial crisis.

    This is what you get for catering to the real estate/landlord lobby in driving out the middle class in favor of multi-million dollar condo dwellers.

    The worst is yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Forgot the Euro-Asiavision link:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7623666.stm

    ReplyDelete
  11. A gorgeous *rse, great cooking ability and his loyalty are 3 great assets to have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anon: My boyfriend has a great body, for a guy who is almost 30, so we are both lucky. And yes, he's a great cook, and is loyal. The rest I can forgive, even if I complain about it from time to time.

    Lino: Thank you for the Eurovision Asia link. I don't know who will go forward from Thailand to compete in the event, but I shall keep an eye on the media and report back.

    Artful: I suspect that if we really want to move - and if it is meant to happen - we will get there in the end. I would just like to know that I can count on the BF to help when I need it.

    Like most Thais, he is not keen on confrontation (another stereotype?), but ruthless types can take advantage of his reticence to get their own way.

    Months ago, we gave an air-con repair man B3000 to make a steel plate for our air con unit. The man never came back, claiming he was busy with repair work in the provinces.

    I asked the BF repeatedly to chase him up, but never heard him call the guy once. That's another B3000 down the drain - and the air con unit is still not fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. BF is 30?

    I though he was a little over the bar-boy age of 23?

    30 and he acts like you say? You do have problem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No. My BF is 29. The one who is a little over barboy age at 23 is a friend who lives close to the market, called Kew. I will have a story coming up about him shortly, I suspect, as he has called asking me for a drink.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah yes the other one. I forgot about him. Did his mother die again?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.