Tuesday 6 January 2009

Power play


The boyfriend complained of stomach pains. My bickering over the finances was causing him stress. Whimper....whine...moan. He asked me to buy some Coke, to help ease his stomach cramps, which I did.

'If this argument over the finances is causing you so much stress, then I will forget about the demand for a share of the extra money from work...I will even give you a share of the cheque I get from Google every month,' I said. 'Things will go back to the way they were.'

He pulled up the blanket and said nothing.

In truth, we did not get to 'arguing' about it...we just exchanged a few stiff text messages.

However, I knew if the matter was not defused soon, a heated argument was not far away, as Maiyuu refused to haggle with me, or even consider my demands.
I asked him how he felt.

'Up to you,' he said.

That's Thai speak for: 'I feel great, thanks very much, that you have dropped all your demands and given me exactly what I wanted all along.'

I decided I needed time away from home, so spent the day yesterday in the company of a farang friend. He rents a comfortable home close to a temple about 10mins from my place.

After drinking until sundown there, we carried on to Pin Khlao, though not to Mum's shop, which is dead - but a small eatery close to the Chao Phraya river, which was lively, and a more enjoyable way to spend the evening.

Last night when I returned home, I found Maiyuu had bought no food for us to eat. It is one of his jobs, but he hadn't done it. He jeered me when I walked in the door, to make me feel victimised and small, as he knows he can do it.

'No, there's nothing to eat...the shops in the market are closed. No, I won't go down to look for anything...you will have to go outside again yourself.'

I said nothing, and took a shower. When I came out again, I heard him ordering pizza on the phone.

Maiyuu knows he can bully me up to a point, but that ultimately he has to help, or I really will blow up.

Gays like inflicting emotional (and other) pain on each other. Maiyuu enjoys flexing his muscles, to see how much he can upset me. Last night, for a change, I refused to respond to his provocations. I played meek, acted the victim, to see how he would react.

Ten minutes later, I was lying next to him with my eyes closed, in front of the television. He prodded me in the shoulder.

'Why don't you go to bed? Don't fall asleep here.'

Meekly, I did as I was told.

I hope he noticed that I showed no interest: No customary 'good-night', or anything else. As the bullied party, or victim, as some readers have put it, I had become timid and submissive.

What he needs, of course, is for me to yank down his pants next time he walks past. I should give him a firm spanking on the backside, as he seems so intent on acting like a child.

Children bully. Adults negotiate and try to reach a compromise.

I have a surprise for him this morning. Today I shall go from being meek and submissive, back to being the strong half again.

I shall demand he gives me B2000 a month from the extra B12,000 I am making every month.

'I have changed my mind,' I shall say.

Maiyuu argues that he spends his money wisely, on meeting our needs as a couple, but that I tend to spend my money only on myself, or other people. He has a point.

However, I am not asking for much. I doubt he needs an extra B12,000 a month to meet our needs as a couple.

In any event, life is too short to spend worrying about it.

Plenty of Thais survive on much less. Maiyuu appears to have stopped working, so is bringing in no income, and making no contribution to our relationship, other than helping keep the household running.

Being gay does not give him the right to wield power or influence over anyone, just because his partner might also be gay and inclined to want to settle arguments rationally rather than use brute force.

But if it's force he wants - as some kind of weird confirmation that I really do care - then I can do that, too.

12 comments:

  1. Life is suffering...You'll suffer with him or without him. He knows at least this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you take off, like he does, for three days and not tell him where you are going. Make him sweat a little. Your his paycheck. Command respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't normally comment on your personal issues but this: "Gays like inflicting emotional (and other) pain on each other." -is ridiculous.

    Gays _can_ be more emotional than straight men, but you'll get what you'll take.

    I don't put up with drama, if I wanted that, I might as well get a woman.

    Your money. Your home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Lino.
    No more being mister nice guy.
    Or he's gonno continue to step all over you.
    Although he does help with the spending and you care a lot for him, you have your right to go out anytime you want to just enjoy your life. E.g movies, making friends etc..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am surprised you let him take complete control over the finances - what brought this on?

    You agree also that he may have better control over the money. However, for you not to know how much there is left seems to really be blind trust.

    If he is only the one with access to it, then I guess you have to say bye bye to your savings if you don't think carefully.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you buying his so called love with your paycheck? If so, I pity you......what a life!!!

    I am sorry if I am being blunt, but I think you should not let him run you over like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so i'm just curious: why do you let him control the finances exactly? the idea of a relationship in which one partner controls the finances and the other one practically has no say is to me so retrograde. ironically it's you who clearly are the breadwinner here since the bf "appears to have stopped working"--not that it should matter who earns more.

    all this power play--would it be possible for the two of you to work out a new relationship model based on equality and mutual respect?

    ReplyDelete
  8. He who earns the money as every right choose how it is spent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shall demand he gives me B2000 a month from the extra B12,000 I am making every month.
    Do you want to tell us that you give him ALL your extra money you get from YOUR extra work? You're kidding, aren't you?

    Being gay does not give him the right to wield power or influence over anyone, just because his partner might also be gay and inclined to want to settle arguments rationally rather than use brute force.
    This is not about using brute force, but about regaining a balanced relationship. First step: Don't let him play with you emotionally, and second: Get back control over your finances.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the story you related in a previous post.. about how you had to plead for and justify a purchase of new eyeglasses to your bf.. and then describing how your bf limited your selection of frames to the cheaper styles you didn't prefer was beyond embarrassing, it was degrading. I totally felt sorry for you.. but your subsequent posts have detailed an unhealthy, subservient willlingness to accept an unfair imbalance in your relationship that defies understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In relationships, the balance of power shifts from day to day, depending on moods and circumstances.

    Maiyuu does not enjoy total control over the finances, as many seem to think.

    He transfers me to a certain amount every pay day. Lately, I have found extra work to do at the office, so I am negotiating for an increase.

    He pulls in the opposite direction, because he knows that I will only spend whatever money I get from him, on myself or others...as a couple, we get no benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. if u really love maiyuu, tell him to get a job, so he can have his own savings. If he's busy with work, usually he dont have a time to wasted your money.
    Or maybe u can suggest Maiyuu to sell his cooking to u'r neighbours?

    Love is beautifull, when both of you can make mutual relationship.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.