Thursday 29 January 2009

Temple sojourn beckons

We are looking forward to pay day tomorrow, as Maiyuu has spent most of our money cooking and baking, mainly for me, but actually for anyone around here who is interested, as my stomach is not big enough to take it all.

Last night I took a bag of cookies, a piece of cake, and a bag of sausage rolls in to work. Free food, anyone?

Maiyuu is getting enthusiastic about supplying the eatery I have found in Thon Buri. After initially poo-pooing the idea, he is now warming to it.

'I would like to make a name selling a limited range of pastry products in small sizes which are well-packed. Women like small, cute things, and I will choose products which can last beyond a day without going stale,' he said.

As I write this, Maiyuu has made roti bread, cut into triangles, and a tiny bowl of massaman curry sauce, both presented to me on a small ceramic serving dish.

Maiyuu doesn't just cook and bake, but takes care to arrange his food well, which makes it more appealing.

I watched him rolling small sausages in thin strips of puff pastry yesterday and wondered where he found the patience.

Moments later, he presented me with a large dish of tiny sausage rolls, and a mayonnaise sauce in a tiny dipping bowl.

However, all this hard work can take it out of a boy.

Maiyuu has announced that he wants to seek solitude in a temple in the provinces for the next two days. 'Looking after you is hard work,' he says. 'I need time out every month to rest.'

When he is happy, as he is now, Maiyuu is super-productive, and rarely rests until the day is out. He visited to a gay-hairdresser friend later yesterday to get his hair cut.

Maiyuu packed an impressive bag of ginger cookies for his friend. He placed them in a plain plastic bag which, with the aid of tape and pair of scissors, he turned into a sachet, or small carry-bag with handles.

We do, however, indulge in an old man's habit in mid-afternoon. Most days now, Maiyuu and I retire for an hour's sleep.

Thais can sleep at any time, but sleeping during the day is a habit I have learned only recently.

I find it hard to sleep well in an empty condo, so I have asked Maiyuu to limit his temple to stay to one day, if possible. Most of those monks are trying to escape from the world anyway, right?

Living in the real world is harder but more fun, so bugger them.

7 comments:

  1. bad spelling on the first comment--

    Hmmmm? Going off to temple? In Chiang Mai? Use those crafty hands to snap out a Buddhist monk robe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it possible that Maiyuu might be manic depressive?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not good at diagnosing these things. At the moment, I would say that he is hyper, rather than depressed...though he can have his bad patches, too.

    However, are they really that extreme? In most cases he does not let logic (his own logic, anyway) abandon him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're really not an old man at your age, at least not unless you want to be. From reading your blog, eems like you need a little more exercise and cut down on substances, IMHO. Maybe not every 20 year old on the block will chase you, but the 30 year olds are pretty darn interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He definitely does not sound manic depressive. That's ridiculous.

    Good luck with the baked goods! I wish Maiyuu the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The suggestion was not meant to offend, only to help. I thought there was an easy chemical test for it, but the wiki says there is not, and that it is difficult to diagnose. There is a range, or spectrum, from very mild to severe forms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only Thai's but all those South-East countries' citizens also have the habit of day sleeping ;)

    I'm not sure whether I like day sleeping or not, but sure I love working at nights.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.