Sunday 8 February 2009

Thai condo life: Going up-market

Our place in Talad Phlu

Inside a typical room (not ours - but like ours, it has no windows!)

Another shot of one of the units

For the last few days, I have been looking for a place to live.

I revisited the condo where my work friend farang C rents a place. A two-room unit next to his place has become vacant. I saw it, and decided we must have it.

Readers will recall my last search for a condo a few months ago, when I visited the same condo building, close to the tourist district in Bangkok.

In that area I visited half a dozen places in all, but in the end decided against moving.

I live in Talad Phlu, a long way from the centre of town. I decided this historic area, dominated by Thai-Chinese and with a canal running down one side, had too much going for it.

Talad Phlu is known for its songtaew trucks
A main road, on a quiet day

Now, the decision seems baffling. I can't wait to get out of here.

Why the change?

This run-down market on the Thon Buri side of the Chao Phraya River has been our home for the last nine years (see more of it here).

My present condo is at least 10 years old, and offers no amenities - no gym, grocery shop, pool.

For many years, this modest 10-storey condo was the tallest building, and only condo in the area. It is still popular, as it is so close to the local market, where shopping is convenient.

However, in recent months the skyline is looking more crowded, as developers have put up a rash of condos close to the local shopping mall, about five minutes' walk to the south.

Those condos have gone up in anticipation of a skytrain extension which will cross the Chao Phraya River, linking central Bangkok to the Thon Buri side, which has traditionally been less developed.

It will bring Bangkok-dwellers over this side to visit the charms of old-style Bangkok, and take us poor suburban dwellers into town for our daily commute to work.
Lion-dancer kids in Talad Phlu

Eventually, this area may develop into a dull condo town rather than what it is now: a residential-light industrial area, dominated by the local mall.

The market in which I live has been here for more than 100 years, supplied by a railway line, still going, which runs from Mahachai to Wong Wian Yai.

Residents live mainly in shophouses, or tin shacks. The market itself is old and neglected.

It offers no cute restaurants, smart coffee shops or other modern services which shoppers take for granted in the centre of town.

A few years ago, a smart Silom-style coffee shop opened here. It closed within a year, as the mainly Thai-Chinese residents of this market do not patronise such places.

They probably go into town only rarely...local temples might hold out more appeal.

For years, the all-Thai nature of the area, despite its lack of modern shops or services, held out charm, at least for me (the boyfriend might have thought differently).

Now, however, it feels stifling, backward, and dull.

After I visited farang C at his condo the other day, he took me to an eatery he frequents. It is five minutes walk away, and nestled among trees.

Diners sit on a raised part of the eatery, which has a polished wooden floor. Paving stones are set in a small garden next to our table.

In one corner, farang teachers chatted about their working week.

'They only employ gay service staff,' said farang C, who is straight.

The young man who served me did not look particularly gay, but he did have a pleasant smile.

I ordered a Thai meal for B45.

Later, I told Maiyuu about my condo-hunting adventure.

'You can get the same meal in the market for B35, so it's not cheap,' said the boyfriend.

'We are moving to an expensive part of town,' I reminded him.

It is five minutes from the tourist district, where the rental for many two-bedroom condos starts at B20,000 - more than twice what I pay now.

On the other hand, he was impressed to hear that a taxi fare from the new place to my office would set me back just B40.

Other benefits? I get to live in a well-designed, furnished condo, with a pool and gym.

The condo, nestled between slummy Klong Toey on one side and leafy Yannawa on the other, is blissfully quiet - no train rattles below, as it does at our present place. No dogs bark when kids leave the internet shop next to the railway tracks in the early hours of the morning.

The condo is within walking distance to work. Compare that with the 45-minute journey I take now.

More importantly, for someone who has been stuck in the sticks for so long, it is set in a modern, cosmopolitan area.

The condo sits between slums on one side, and multi-million baht mansions on the other. It looks urban, and people-friendly - at least on the leafy side.

On the other side, Thais live in tin shacks on a large piece of adjoining vacant land. They light fires at night to burn rubbish and keep warm.

Around them are still more slums, which lead out to a busy motorway which I must cross to get to work.

Down here is a 7-11 convenience store, a hairdresser's, a shop with slot-operated washing-machines, and a market where women spread out fresh produce on the ground.

In this area I have also spotted several playing courts facing the road, where I will take my daily exercise. Round and round - let's watch the farang jogging!

On which side will I end up feeling more at home - the poor all-Thai side, or the wealthy, urbane one where foreigners and Burmese maids roam?

We will have to wait and see.

13 comments:

  1. Who will yell at the chickens if you move? You should bring some to the new condo for luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on finding a new home for you and maiyuu.. and on your decision to make a commitment to live your lives in a more positive and enriching environment. best of luck to you both ! write us about the grand adventure as it reveals itself through out the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are finally moving, I hope you go through with it. The new place sounds much better for your physical and mental health. Take advantage of that gym!

    -P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something tells me that you will find more interesting stories on the "poor Thai" side than the rich farang.

    I look forward to a rich new source for your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the excitement of you being able to move into a new condo. Good luck. Hmmm just wondering why the bf is not so keen in moving out now. I remember reading about how he wants to move out the last time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we now have two silom farangs:)

    nice to hear about your decision! decisions and moves like this change our lives.

    people may criticise your life, mental and physical health and your relationship with your bf, but you two seem to be no "Wheeler's" (check out the new movie, "revolutionary road" with kate winslet and leo di caprio).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your generous comments.

    Neil: I'll leave the chickens here, thanks.

    Anon: I shall indeed write about the 'grand adventure' as it unfolds.

    Anon: Or even better, the playing courts facing the motorway. I will be the first farang who has ever jogged in there, I bet!

    Ironbark: I suspect you are right - I will find more interesting stories on the Thai side. But now at least I have a choice, as both worlds are close by where I live.

    Kopichai: The BF is delighted. I didn't write much about him this time...I will let you know more about how he feels about the move in future posts.

    Bitch of Bangkok: I just took a look at the trailer, after reading your post here, and Kawadjan's comments at his blog. I am looking forward to seeing it.

    I hope Hollywood types can portray what life can be like for ordinary middle-class folk trapped in suburbia with kids, and in jobs they don't like.

    Re Two Silom farangs...you are right! Now we are two, even though we have never met.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to your new found pad. But times are bad, don't you feel the pinch getting a shelter that costs 2x more than the current one.

    Don't get me wrong, I am not stopping you. If you have done the sum right, we are waiting for more stories of your new neighborhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My new rent will not be that much. I said *most*, or many two-bedroom condos start at that price; mine is not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to hear about your tentative move to a new place!! Will do you a lot of good, I am sure.
    If the finances will be a bit tighter, well, just take some of your money back from your BF.
    You will have more time to spend with him anyway, because of the reduced travel-time.

    BTW. Doesn't maiyuu in Thai mean "not here"? If so, then maybe a new nick is more appropriate, since he is home much more now :)

    PS. Really enjoy reading your blogs. Did you ever write about Leo Put? He is such a looker, saw him in Pai the other week.

    Anon42

    ReplyDelete
  11. Change is exciting! Congrats, hope all goes well.

    Getting away from the chickens/dogs/train noise alone would be worth the move, but you get a pool and gym as well. Sounds very promising.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to thank you for the photos of the exceptionally cute guys you've been including in your posts lately.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Change is a positive sign.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.