Tuesday 10 February 2009

Old man in the wardrobe


We have started packing our place into boxes, ahead of the big move into a condo close to town.

I have not yet signed the contract allowing us to take occupancy, but that day will come soon enough.

In the meantime, I have bought 16 large packing boxes from a hardware store in the market. I have taken all the books off the shelves, and sorted them into piles of 'to keep', 'to sell', and 'to throw out'.

Maiyuu has found a trader who buys furniture and clothes. He will invite him to our place to take a look at our stuff.

He hopes to sell as much as possible, and throw out as little as he can, which makes the packing process slow.

I would like to to throw out as much as possible beforehand, but Maiyuu has been going through my 'throw out' pile looking for items to add to his 'to sell' pile, for the sake of a few more baht which the trader might pay him.

'Don't throw this out...you can sell it,' he said yesterday, as he picked up a used notebook.

'You can't sell it - it's full, there are no blank pages,' I said, surprised he would want to sell such rubbish.

'Thais will buy it for scrap paper,' he insisted.

-
Another persistent complaint of Maiyuu's is that he buys me clothes, but I forget about them.

They sit in the wardrobe until they begin shrinking (or my waistline begins expanding) until the day when I can no longer wear them.

'You like wearing the same clothes over and over, to make people feel sorry for you, as if you have nothing better in your wardrobe, which is not true,' he grumbles.

He is right! I didn't realise the extent to which I had become a creature of habit, like an old man.

I put clothes into the wash, they come back, I iron them, hang them on a clothes horse, and wear them again. Who needs to look for trouble in the wardrobe?

Yesterday I took everything out of the wardrobe. I tried on four pairs of trousers, and four pairs of shorts which I didn't know I owned, or had forgotten.

I still fit in them, which is good news.

I also found another four pairs of trousers which are now too small for me (they shrink in the dark), including two pairs of smart looking work trousers which - ahem - I never wore. Sorry, but I just forgot!

Postscript: A few unkind readers at the thaivisa forum once complained that my writing was mundane. This mundane post is for you!

6 comments:

  1. We are in the same situation then. I just got boxes too and will put all my stuff in now...:) not silom farang but the two moving farangs:)

    I read you havent signed a contract...now I dont know your situation and you have lived here for far longer than I have, but I had HUGE problems with getting my condo. people would suddenly pull out and rent it to someone else or decide to sell instead of rent, only to go back on their decisions the next day. sign as soon as possible is my advice (if you are sure you want to live there of course).
    p.s. how are you going to move the boxes to silom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made a time to meet the owner and sign the contract later this week.

    Maiyuu has the number of someone who will move our boxes in his truck.

    First, though, we have to get them packed, which is challenging, as the process is slow: one box a day each so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time you entered the notion of moving, Maiyuu just about jumped up and down with excitement. You mention, after seeing his glee, living where you are now was part of his depression. Do you still see this effect on him? Could a move make a positive difference in him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought my first house last fall- i hope to sell for a profit in a year or two so i can pick up and visit Thailand...
    Good luck on your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. if I had some one baking me pies every day my pants wouldn't fit any more either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. life is mundane.

    this is mundane in its best

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.