Friday 1 May 2009

The I-Phone purchase: You monstrous, beautiful thing

So Maiyuu has bought his I-Phone. I have to agree with my boyfriend - they are the most beautiful things.

As I write, he has his head down poking away at the buttons. I also agree with Anonymous (whoever he is) that I-Phones are fun, and that everyone needs a toy. What I don't like is that he has gone into hire purchase debt to buy it.

I looked up True's website, where details of the I-Phone offer are posted. It does not allow early repayment, so Maiyuu is stuck with that (admittedly small) debt for the next two years. Good luck!

I asked him how he intends to find the money each month to pay it. 'I will spend less money on food, especially baking for us at home.'

He will also ask a friend about the possibility of supplying baking to a shop she owns. 'I could make two or three bakery items for sale in her shop every day,' he says.

Maiyuu has a gay friend called Joe, who lives in our old condo in Thon Buri. Yesterday he went to see Joe, to proudly show him his new phone purchase.

Joe's boyfriend has a sister who runs a coffee shop in town. Maiyuu says he will talk to her about supplying her with baking.

I can't see it happening myelf, as Maiyuu lacks motivation. At this stage, it's just talk. However, for his own good, and mine, he should indeed find some work to do.

I would take it as a sign of good faith that he is still prepared to act responsibly, and is not wilfully abandoning the financial good sense I have drummed into his head over the last nine years.

One small bauble of advice I gave him many years ago was: 'Don't get into debt!'

We do not own credit cards. In fact, I won't allow it.

Thailand is a cash (and hire-purchase) -based economy. Consumers do not rack up purchases on credit cards as a matter of course, if for no other reason that the cards cannot be used as easily here as they are in the West.

When we met, Maiyuu was so ignorant about finances that he did not know how interest rates worked.

These days, he's better. 'True is not charging me interest rates for the I-Phone, as we are subscribers to their television service,' he says.

'I have thought about this purchase carefully for months.'

Encouraging?

'I know we can cut expenses, and find money not just to pay for the I-Phone but also save at least B1,000 extra every month, for those times when we need it, and for things you want, such as Lasik treatment on your eyes.'
 
How sweet. I will believe it when I see it. Maiyuu wants to start the new savings regime next month.

He asked True to set the repayment date on his phone for the first half of the month.

That's also when we pay the rent.

Maiyuu wants me to contact the landlord to ask if we can defer the day we pay rent until the second half of the month, rather than the first.

I get paid twice a month. 'Ask if you can defer rent day for four days. By then your pay for the second half of the month will have come out, and the bill will be easier to pay,' he says.

I haven't asked the owner for permission to defer rent day yet, but already Maiyuu has bought the phone.

Thais just can't wait. Everything has to be 'now'.

Maiyuu says a large queue of Thais was waiting to sign up for the hire purchase plan when he visited the True outlet yesterday.

No doubt these are many of the same Thais who visit the pawn-broker's shop every month when money runs out for basic groceries.

At least two of Maiyuu's friends from our old condo, including Joe, visit pawnshops. I know, because Maiyuu used to keep the pawn tickets on their behalf. Yet I bet if I asked to look at their cellphones, they would own smarter, more modern models than mine.

My phone is ancient, it is true. But then I don't care for technology, nor see the appeal in parading the latest gadgets before my friends. Who cares?

Maiyuu now has a new phone number to go with the I-Phone.

He will give me his old phone - which is also more modern than mine - now that he no longer has any need for it.

When Maiyuu walked in after visiting the True shop yesterday, I immediately asked whether he had bought the thing.

Earlier, as he left home, I sent him several SMS messages, urging him to think again.

I must have looked worried. 'Yes,I bought it...are you alright?' Maiyuu asked.

'Don't get stressed. I have thought this through carefully, and it won't cause any problems.'

I sat on Maiyuu's bed as he told me excitedly about his new purchase. He looked lovely, and for a brief moment I put aside my worries and decided that his worries are my own, just as any partner should.

Later, I reminded myself that such thinking is nonsense, because I can never hope to get through to this young man.

Today, it's an I-Phone. Next time he sees something else which he just must have, we'll go through this drama again.

Once, I would have found the prospect of more emotional turmoil depressing. Now, I realise, I don't care.

Is this the Buddhist state of nirvana - not caring about anything? No. It's just resignation - an unwillingness to carry on struggling pointlessly.

I started withdrawing myself emotionally from this place some months ago - back when we moved condos, in fact. I lost my regular daily contact with Thais.

Now, I spend my days at my condo, or a the condo pool. I rarely venture anywhere else, as I have seen it all before, and can't be bothered.

Maiyuu provides for my needs, and I love sharing my life with him. But if he wants to destroy our life with these hare-brained financial decisions, he can go ahead.

I believe I am ready to start a new life in the West, if ever I have to walk away. I want to see what westerners have been getting up to, during the nine years I have been away.

I belong over there, not here. If the day comes when I leave, I shall give Maiyu a chunk of the superannuation fund I am saving at work, then just go.

At the moment, I still love him, so am not contemplating leaving. But if it all comes unravelled financially, then I know what I must do.

2 comments:

  1. 16 comments:

    Kevo3330 April 2009 at 20:13
    My Bf makes some pretty dumb financial decisions too, which i got extremely mad about.
    People do stupid things. Immature people to very stupid things. It sounds like both of our boys are still immature :P
    But remember that you love him and at the end of the day he's there for you. Not everyone is financially reasonable.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer30 April 2009 at 20:26
    We need to protect ourselves from the consequences of their lousy financial decision-making. How? Make sure they are in paid work!

    You have no problem there, Kevo, as your BF works as a cook. But I'll have to put a firecracker under mine, so he becomes more accountable for his crap decisions.

    ReplyDelete

    chkdsk1830 April 2009 at 23:49
    He's a kid, after all.

    I used to promise myself being hard working again after purchasing something which is out of my reach (after having my mom bought it).

    And I never did it. Or did it in short-term.

    Anyway, love is it when we don't bother at anything else but love.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer1 May 2009 at 00:42
    You are so right. He is just a kid, no matter how much time I spend trying to make him think like an adult.

    Thais must be the world's worst grown-ups.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous1 May 2009 at 01:53
    Wow, you are really all over the place bkkdreamer, one week you want to leave, the next you don't, now you are talking about it again....

    and to say buying an iphone is going to ruin your lives is ridiculous, its an iphone not an apartment.

    ReplyDelete

    Asia in Australia1 May 2009 at 02:29
    mister anonymous, do you know anything about thailand?

    bkkdreamer earns Thai wages. here, an office worker might earn 15,000 THB a month.

    The iphone cost 23,000.

    I dont know where you are from but lets say america, where an office worker might make 4,000 USD a month...

    so roughtly 7,000 USD in America...it's not an apartment but please put things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete

    Takashi1 May 2009 at 08:06
    u know sometimes people think stupid things when they are angry or when they are provoked, you sounded just like one..

    chill pal.. its just an Iphone and so what if its bought on installment? As long as it can be repaid, its no harm. Its more of having something beautiful and pay for it slowly but surely.

    Anyway, love is unconditional. To set rules is to restrict how you love someone.. and it shouldnt be that way..

    I can feel resentment or perhaps even anger in you.....

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer1 May 2009 at 08:11
    Is resentment and anger such an unnatural state for you, Takashi? Or does a higher being such as yourself not succumb to such human emotions occasionally?

    That comment about unconditional love, by the way, is bullshit. If that's the case, why not just tell your next lover that he can do whatever he likes?

    You won't hold it against him, because you love him unconditionally after all.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer1 May 2009 at 08:39
    Anon: I am all over the place? Please forgive me if my emotions occasionally change from one day to the next.

    It's what happens when you expose yourself to Thai life...it knocks you about a bit, and changes the way you feel.

    Sometimes venting is enough. Other times, you really do find yourself contemplating a drastic departure, for the sake of self-preservation.

    Before undertaking radical change, most people have to come to terms with the fact that the status quo is no longer enough, that our feelings towards our job or partner may have taken a dive.

    But I disgress. I have noticed that for some readers here, to even hint that all may not be well in the Land of Smiles is to commit heresy.

    I suspect most readers who respond that way to my posts have litle if any experience of living in this country, or in a relationship with a Thai.

    I talk about leaving = I am about to leave!

    I grumble about Maiyuu = I don't love him, and am about to leave!

    That's so black and white, and does no credit to you as a reader.
    Life is more complicated and subtle than that, even in this frustrating place.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1 May 2009 at 14:35
    I'm assuming you are the bottom in this relationship, yes?

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer1 May 2009 at 20:03
    That gave me my first big laugh of the day. Tops normally mete out this kind of unfair treatment to bottoms, do they?

    Or maybe you are referring to my passivity in the face of such provocative behaviour.

    I bet it's the latter, and you're really a gay bitch. Am I right?

    (I mean this in a good way, of course)

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous1 May 2009 at 20:15
    yes peoples emotions change from one day to the next but yours fluctuate from one extreme to the other so quickly I am concerned for you. it seems to ME, from your writing, you are not a happy man in this relationship. perhaps it is time to move on....

    yes i have experience living in thailand and yes I have a Thai partner, I do understand the way things work there.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous1 May 2009 at 20:16
    "I belong over there, not here. If the day comes when I leave, I shall give Maiyu a chunk of the superannuation fund I am saving at work, then just go.

    At the moment, I still love him, so am not contemplating leaving. But if it all comes unravelled financially, then I know what I must do."

    So when it comes down to it, when you feel like leaving you will just go, heres some cash, im out of here. yet you say you love him? I dont think so

    ReplyDelete

    Kevo331 May 2009 at 21:23
    I seem to feel the same as BKK- Happy with my BF most of the time, yet he does dumb things to bug me now and again. I think this is typical blog venting...you all take it too seriously. BKK- hang in there my friend! Though Thai boys are hard to handle, i think he means the best for you in his own "special" way. They just tend to get caught up with flashy new toys.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous1 May 2009 at 22:55
    I meant you must be a bottom cuz you are acting like a little bitch ;)

    (I mean this in a good way of course.)

    No but really I'm just teasing

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer2 May 2009 at 06:09
    Kevo: You're right, I was just venting. I felt betrayed.

    We agreed a long time ago that we would stay clear of debt.

    I thought we had also agreed that the phone could wait. Apparently not!

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.