Thursday 7 January 2010

Ball, me, and the ghost of responsibility


‘No one ever listens to me...I was just want my Dad back!’ said Ball, sobbing in my arms as we sat outside my condo.

Dad died a few years ago. Ball, still a teenager, believes his life has not been the same since.

We had been drinking at carer R’s ya dong (Thai home-made liquor, mixed with honey and herbs) stall nearby, and ended up outside my place, a short walk away.

We were alone, carer R having packed up his stall and abandoned us an hour earlier. He had tried to take Ball home, but without success.

Two hours into the evening, Ball’s mother and her partner had dropped in to see us. They were unhappy to see Ball imbibing heavily, and told him it was time to call it a day.

Perhaps aware that Ball is facing stress at home, they did not force the issue, however.

Ball, who is just 19, and still a youngster in my eyes, was apparently responsible enough to look after himself.

Yet here he was, knocking back shot glass after shot glass of whisky, getting drunker by the minute.

He could barely stand, never mind walk. Carer R tried to guide Ball home, but Ball was having none of it.

He bear-hugged him, clung on to R’s frame, tried to lift him, pull him back to the booze stall. He wasn’t willing to go home, and that was that.

‘Mali, you try taking him home,’ R told me.

I took Ball by the hand. We made it as far as the door to Ball's place, just 50m from R’s shop.

When we arrived, Ball’s thin body stiffened – with fear, or stress, I don’t know.

Ball lives with a family of eight, including his girlfriend Jay, who he believes might be pregnant. He says he wants to do the responsible thing by helping her bring up the child rather than abandoning her.

However, they have known each other only four months, and being a teenager, he would rather have his freedom.

‘I want her to know that I will never abandon her if she is indeed pregnant.

‘But neither of us is sure, and she has yet to take a test. If she is not pregnant, and just tricking me, I never want to see her face again,’ Ball had told us earlier.

Jay comes from Chiang Mai, in the North.

She has a job at a department store, so is pulling her weight. However, Ball and his girlfriend have started borrowing from Ball’s Mum to meet expenses.

Jay is unwilling to ask her own parents for financial help, because she is estranged from them.

‘These are her problems, which she has created as a result of her own decisions. You are not responsible,’ I told Ball.

‘But I feel sorry for her,’ pleaded Ball.

‘Feeling sorry for someone is no basis for a relationship,’ I told him bluntly. ‘Do you love her, or just feel sorry for her?

He refused to answer. He spoke to her brusquely when, 10 minutes later, Jay visited us at carer R’s shop.

Ball and I are born under the same star sign (Scorpio). He feels things intensely, as do I. Like me, he also tends to feel sorry for people.

‘If you feel sorry for people in this life, you will end up in trouble, as people ultimately must be responsible for their own actions,’ I told him.

‘I am not criticising you, because I have spent a lifetime feeling sorry for people myself, and it has brought only misery,’ I said.

‘He wants to behave responsibly,’ said carer R, defending Ball’s decision to stay with the girlfriend, come what may.

We drank for several hours. By the second half of the evening, Ball had grown morose.

When I took him to the front of his place, Ball refused to enter. He insisted that I return with him to R’s shop. I didn't get a look inside, or talk to anyone.

We staggered back out the soi. Carer R, however, took advantage of our brief absence to pack up shop and walk home, leaving me to battle with Ball alone.

Ball tried to drag me across the vacant lot back to my condo, as he insisted I should go home first.

He tried pushing me from behind, then took me by the hand and tried dragging me.

‘But I want to take you home first!’ he said.

Ball, I suspected, wanted to carry on drinking.

This push-me, pull-you nonsense was to carry on for at least the next hour.

Ball refused to go home. I refused to return home myself until I had seen him safely back to his place.

Once, we ran across the vacant lot to my condo, hand in hand.

Another time, he climbed on my back. I tried lifting him, and carrying him back home, but he struggled free of my grasp.

‘I am not gay. What do you want with me?’ he asked.

Outside my condo, Ball pleaded with a security guard to take me back to my unit.

I ignored him, and asked Ball to sit with me.

He started to cry – about his Dad, who died a few years ago, and the family stress enveloping his life since. I took him in my arms, and put him on my lap.

‘No one listens to me,’ he sobbed.

‘It’s alright...never mind,’ I said, rubbing his heaving back.

When sober, Ball says little, just sits and broods.

He drinks as a form of release, just as his own father did before him. Ball’s father died of an alcohol-related illness.

I nursed him, pulled his hair out of his eyes, and held it in a small bunch behind his head.

Combing back his hair, I had noticed earlier, has a transfixing effect on Ball.

Ball wore shorts which were too big for him, but no underwear. I spent half the night pulling up his pants for him.

Ball enjoyed the attention, I suspect because he gets little of it at home.

Earlier, when his parents visited us, I massaged Ball’s arms and hands. Carer R rubbed Ball’s face with water to cool him down, sober him up.

Half an hour after the teary episode outside my place, the heavens had had enough of watching over us. They sent down heavy rain.

Ball and I agreed were standing in the vacant lot, half-way between his place and mine.

While Ball danced in the rain, I took shelter under a make-shift carpark in the middle of the lot.

'Hug time!'I said.

We hugged. I kissed his head.

'Now, Mr Ball, it is time for bed.'

Ball ran away - came back - then pretended to walk towards home a second time.

This time I did not wait to see whether he would return again, but walked towards home myself.

Ball can’t cope with these problems when sober, yet I do not want to see him only when he is drunk.

He has to find another way to deal with his demons. I am willing to help, but as yet I do not know where to look for the solution.

Ball gave me his mother’s cellphone number, but I have not called, as I don’t yet know what to say.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6 January 2010 at 23:31
    I personally think one of the best things you can do for this Ball character is to give him a Home Pregnacy Test.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous6 January 2010 at 23:33
    I posted above, I found this blog and found it interesting I am in USA. I like the food pictures and the stories.
    You can call me BHUDDAPEST

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous7 January 2010 at 04:40
    "He feels things intensely, as do I. He also tends to feel sorry for people, which is again just like me"

    Really ? Then why did you ignore the man you saw lying helplessly on the street which you blogged about several days ago ?

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer7 January 2010 at 05:04
    Anon 3:

    ...because I'm also into self-preservation, as most sensible people would be in the same situation.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer7 January 2010 at 07:35
    Anon 2: Welcome, Bhuddapest. I hope you enjoy your stay.

    ReplyDelete

    hansey217 January 2010 at 09:55
    I'm only 17(january 3 of 1993) and I'm already drinking alcoholic drinks to release some problematic stress.... I know that I'm still young but Alcoholic drinks helps me to kill the pain that i have inside everytime i get drunk....I do understand Ball even if he's older than me... the difference is... I'm not straight...

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer7 January 2010 at 18:53
    I met Ball and his family at their home yesterday, where we drank some more.

    He was more restrained in their presence.

    I told Ball that his problems would ease as he gets older, because he'd have less trouble talking to people.

    At the moment, he suppresses his feelings and tries to hold everything inside.

    Only booze releases his tension and fears, but he drinks so much that he loses practically all self-control as well.

    I'll write up my visit to his family home shortly, where I will explain the encounter in more detail.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous8 January 2010 at 00:40
    This young man is going to be a father himself and needs professional help as well as a good friend like you.
    You may be right in saying he will grow out of it but by then it may be too late.
    l dont mean it harshly but it will be a shame if he takes the same route as his father. :(
    Wilko xx

    ReplyDelete

    Doug8 January 2010 at 10:53
    Poor Ball's demons are the inadequate social and emotional skills he's acquired for coping with life as an adult. So he drinks and knocks up a girl he barely knows. This is sadly common in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer9 January 2010 at 08:03
    Wilks, Doug: I agree, he needs friends, and maybe outside help as well. His father does not seem to care about the heavy drinking, or if he does, seems unwilling to address it.

    Ball is unsure now whether his girlfriend is in fact pregnant. I hope not, for the sake of both of them.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.