Tuesday 5 January 2010

Karaoke deception, New Year's challenge

Bored of home and the boyfriend, last night I headed for a run-down karaoke joint where I met a promising member of the gay set the night before.

Well, I thought he was gay. In fact, my eyes deceived me. It wasn’t even a guy, but a girl.

The shop, in a large open area in front of a slum, is close to my office. I walked past it the other night on my way home from work.

At the end of a short alleyway leading into the shop I saw the figure of someone I took to be a young man.

His face was pointed away from me. He was chatting animatedly to a mother figure.

I approached the shop, and asked the lad what time it opened. He told me, and I left.

When I saw his face, I was sure I was chatting to a young man...he even had facial hair, or so I thought.

However, when I returned to the shop last night, I realised this was not the case.

I recognised the person I had seen briefly the night before. It was not a young man, but a masculine looking teenage girl, possibly a tom.

I sat down, ordered a beer, and chatted to the cook. She introduced me to her two children, the owner, and her own two kids.

‘Many people from your office come here for lunch. It’s their regular,’ she said.

Here’s the self-delusional piece I wrote yesterday about the shop. I deleted it out of embarrassment, but am reposting it here. Try not to laugh.
_
Two work friends and I visited a run-down karaoke joint after our shift ended the other night.

It’s down a small alleyway, which opens into a large open area in front of a slum.

I pass this place on my way home every night, but until I found it on a walk with my friends had assumed it was someone’s home, overtaken by rowdy young people.

Last night when I passed the place again, I saw a youngster chatting animatedly. I thought it might be a girl, but wasn’t sure.

I walked down the alleyway to take a closer look. The animated one was in fact a young man, talking at great gusto to an older woman, perched on a table, massaging her feet.

Mum and her son? Who knows.

‘What time do you open tomorrow?’ I asked.

The youngster, who spoke in a hoarse voice, gave me the time, and smiled broadly.

Tonight, I will go back. Some of the best karaoke singers from the neighbourhood go there, judging by the performances we saw the other night.

I am also interested to learn more about the owners and their families, and how their relationships work.

Mr Animated, while too young for me, has gay potential. I want to see more.

-
Bass's mother knows I am lonely. Thais always know.

I will get Bass to call you, so you have a friend for company,’ she said.

Bass is a student, aged 16, who I used to teach English.

His 's family runs a drug store in a two-storey shophouse about five minutes from my home.

The other day I was walking on that side of the neighbourhood and dropped in to see them.

I found the mother there alone, as everyone else was at work, or school.

Bass had sent me a SMS message a few days before, wishing me the best for the year ahead. I replied, but decided to follow it up with a visit in person, as I hadn't seen them in months.

Bass's mother chatted as she whipped up a batch of chrysanthemum juice, which she sells at the shop and delivers in the neighbourhood.

Mum, who is my age, is Chinese-born, and moved to Thailand as a girl.

Her husband is Thai. They have two children, Bass, and his elder brother, Ball, a university student.

Mum learnt Thai after she arrived, but still speaks Chinese, the only member of her in family who can.

‘I can speak a little Chinese, but not much,’ Bass told me once.

‘I have many cousins in China – children of my mothers’ brothers and sisters - but we do not speak the same language, so cannot communicate,’ he said.

Bass shines academically. The last time I saw the family was three months ago, just before I visited my parents overseas.

His school term was about to start, so we suspended lessons.

When I visited again yesterday, his term was about to end.

'You can resume lessons, if you like, though in the mornings he will be busy helping me make juice at the shop,' she said.

Bass hardly needs English conversation, at least at a basic level, as he spent six years at a private school, where 70% of his tuition was in English.

He understands almost everything I say, and responds promptly and accurately.

However, I know I can make him better, and enjoy teaching him, as he loves to learn.

I’ll pencil him in as one of my New Year projects, starting next month.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5 January 2010 at 00:45
    Sorry...l didi have a chuckle!

    Wilko xx

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous5 January 2010 at 02:13
    yeah, I chuckled as way. Partly because this kind of thing happened to me as well in the past... so don't feel too bad ok?

    Wouter

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous5 January 2010 at 02:14
    I chuckled as well, not way... dear god, I must wake up more completely before I post comments in the future.
    Wouter

    ReplyDelete

    Joyce Lau5 January 2010 at 04:53
    That was hilarious. Good on you for not being embarrassed and posting both versions!

    ReplyDelete

    Brad.5 January 2010 at 09:33
    No chuckle here. Rather the memory that this has happened to me more than once. And man, does the wind go out of the sails upon the realization that it's not a young man who had piqued my interest. 180 degree turn around with a crestfallen spirit. Sorry for you.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous5 January 2010 at 12:07
    Wouter, l had the same problem. l put didi instead of did. That's what happens when you've only been up 20 minutes and post before rushing of to work. ;) lol
    Wilko xx

    ReplyDelete

    Kevo335 January 2010 at 19:08
    i didnt laugh, but it made me smile.
    Btw i've been wanting to know- when you say you have conversations with all these Thais, are they in English or Thai? Do you speak Thai well?

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer5 January 2010 at 20:03
    Thank you for the responses. Laughter or not, it was good to hear from you.

    When I realised I had mistaken the young woman for a guy, I wondered how many other things I manage to get spectacularly wrong, without realising it at the time, or ever realising it at all. I hope I don't have too more such moments.

    I am still wondering how I reached the conclusion that the person I saw had facial hair.

    The girl I saw on my return visit had none, which is as you'd expect. Maybe she had a quick shave before I arrived. All very strange.

    Kevo: Almost all conversations are in Thai. One exception is the student I mentioned yesterday; I talk to him mainly in English, because he understands.

    I am good at the language in some ways. I love listening to it, which always helps. I also enjoy talking to Thais.

    My memory for absorbing new words for use in conversation is weak, as I am getting old.

    I only have to use a new word once in conversation, and I will remember it; however, slotting it into the right hole in my brain for use at the appropriate moment is hard.

    If it doesn't come to me when I am talking to someone, it probably won't come at all, as learning by rote no longer works for me.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous6 January 2010 at 00:36
    Are you absolutely sure it was the same person?
    lt's amazing how the mind can fix things in your head, right or wrong. l think we look too quickly for fear of seeming rude and imagination fills the gaps!!!

    Thats my excuse anyway. ;)
    Wilks xx

    ReplyDelete

    hendrikbkk6 January 2010 at 04:31
    So much for your gaydar!
    Did you tell the bf you found the perfect boy, albeit it is a girl?

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer6 January 2010 at 05:16
    Wilks: Yes, I am sure it is the same. I asked her if I had spoken to her the night before, and she said Yes.

    Hendrik:

    I didn't tell te BF anything much about it.

    I was hoping to make the place a regular, regardless of what staff are working there, because I need an alternative to the booze stall in the slum run by carer R, where I tend to spend too much money.

    However, the woman who runs the place has a voice like a foghorn and never stops moaning, so I might have to give the karaoke place a miss.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.