Thursday 27 May 2010

Another day, another job over

‘He’s on his way back home...the job was too much. There was nowhere to sit, he had to lift things all day, and has a sore back,’ said Mum.

It was 5pm. I had barely walked in her door. In fact, I hadn’t; I was still standing in the slum alleyway outside her place when she saw me, and started to unload.

Another job over - and this one didn’t even last eight hours. How did we get to this?

Seven hours earlier, I turned up at their place to usher Ball and his girlfriend Jay to work.

I took with me a Chinese fish ball meal (similar to khanom jeen) for the pair to eat before they left home.

A man in a cart sold them outside my condo. I had not seen him before, as I rarely venture out that way before evening.

On this day, however, I wanted to buy Ball and Jay a treat. They were about to start in new jobs, and should have something to fill their tummies first.

It’s just as well I bought them some food: when I turned up at Mum’s place, I saw she had prepared nothing for them to eat.

About 9am, khanom jeen in hand, I joined Mum in her sitting room to await the arrival from upstairs of Mr Ball.

The pair was due at work less than two hours later.

Outside, it was raining heavily.

‘They will probably go to work on the family motorcycle,’ said Mum.

‘If it’s too wet, I will put them in a taxi,’ I said.

When I arrived, girlfriend Jay had just taken a shower. Fifteen minutes later, Ball followed.

He looked chirpy, as if he was looking forward to his new job. He said nothing as he passed me between the stairs and shower.

It’s as if he expects me to be present; or maybe he is irritated by my presence, but is too polite, or accepting to let it show.

Ball and Jay started their first day of work yesterday selling books/newspapers at local department stores.

They applied for jobs at a company which runs stalls there.

The company put them in different locations, as it won’t allow boyfriends and girlfriends to work together.

Jay was assigned to work at a store in Rama 4; Ball, at the same store, only a different branch, on Rama 3.

After what seemed like an age, Ball finished his shower. As they dressed, I heard him and Jay chatting excitedly upstairs.

Twenty minutes later, he re-appeared downstairs, wearing black and white.

This is the standard uniform for sales staff. However, several months had passed since Ball last wore those pants.

His boxers spilled over the back, poking out under his white shirt, as his pants were too tight.

Ball yanked on them, but they would not rise any higher.

‘Drinking too much beer has made him fat, so he longer fits into his pants,’ his Mum told me the previous week.

‘However, I will wait a while before buying him any new ones, as he may not last in the job.’

That was sensible, given the events which would follow. However, for girlfriend Jay, Mum spent B1,000 buying two sets of work clothes.

She looked lovely when she descended the stairs, but said little.

Mum gave them a cellphone each to take to work, with a new phone number. She rents the devices from a local company.

‘They need phones to contact each other, or call home when they finish work,’ said Mum.

Half an hour later, it was time to go. Mum gave me Ball’s number, which I stored in my own cellphone.

I accompanied the young couple out to the family motorbike. Ball was driving. He was to take Jay to work first, and double back to Rama 3 to his own workplace.

Ball gave me a smile.

‘Good luck!’ I said.

Such promising beginnings. The same evening, before I left for work, I dropped in to Mum’s place, when she told me the unwelcome news that both Ball and Jay had decided to quit.

‘They are on their way back. Jay called asking for Ball’s number. A few minutes later, Ball called saying they had quit their jobs,’ said Mum.

I waited for the pair’s arrival.

Ball and Jay must have decided that he would do all the talking, as Jay just sat on the floor, saying nothing.

This is becoming a pattern: whenever this couple has bad news for Mum, Ball is always the one who breaks it to her. His girlfriend stays silent.

‘There was nowhere to sit, and I had to ask permission whenever I wanted to visit the toilet,' said Ball.

'At the start of work each day, we have to lug all the books and magazines out, and at the end of trade take them back again. I have a sore back and feet,’ he complained.

’You should have stayed on in your old job as a security guard,’ replied Mum, who said she would call his old boss to see if he could carry on working there.

‘What did your boss say when you told him you were quitting?’ I asked Ball.

‘He didn’t – I just walked out, without telling him,’ he said.

Ball did the same thing in his last job. When he grew tired of working as a security guard, he simply failed to return the next day.

His boss was none the wiser until he called his mother and asked where Ball had gone.

Thais are such a casual bunch, Ball will probably get back his old job as a security guard in Silom regardless.

We don’t yet know what to do about Jay. When Mum suggested she apply for work at the local 7-11 branch, she poo-pooed the idea.

‘I suspect Jay didn’t like the job at the department store, and called Ball to persuade him to quit too,’ grumbled Mum.

Mum, however, wasn’t about to challenge her about it. It’s just not the way things are done.

Last night about 10pm, work over for the day, I dropped in on my way home. Ball and Jay were playing with the kids. Mum had gone out to play HiLo, in the hope of raising money to keep the family going.

‘Have you eaten?’ I asked Ball.

‘Yes,’ he said politely.

‘Have you had a drink?’ I asked, referring to a beer I bought him earlier.

‘Yes,’ he said, laughing.

‘See you tomorrow.’

I am faithful, if nothing else. In the near future, nothing is likely to get better in this household, and yet still I persevere.

Why? The young are stupid because of their youth, no matter how hopeless their circumstances.

Maybe, one day, I will wake up and find everything has changed.

It’ll take a while. Perhaps that’s what families are for...we just wait, and hope for something better to pay us a visit.

3 comments:

  1. 7 comments:

    Anonymous27 May 2010 at 09:08
    Why rent a cellphone ? Buying a use one isn't expensive at all.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous27 May 2010 at 10:05
    This post is one of the reasons I really like this blog, if I were hearing it from anyone living in the west I would suggest that you grab these two and give them a good shake and say what the he'll are you doing with your lives there is a point when you have to stop making consessions for the fact they are impetulant teenagers and make them wake up to the real world! BUT this is Thailand and I think it is one of the things many readers tend to forget for an outsider this blog makes for infuriating reading at times. One thing however is clear here Balls girlfreind is a bad influence to him and he seems I. Fact they both seem easily led by the other, but this cycle that keeps continuing seems like nither of them want to work if they don't then life still carries on as before and when they do little changes so where is there motivation to change? Oh also I am not making judgement her just throwing it in BKK u seem to be the enabler for Ball to do just what you fell out with Carer R for Which ever way I look at it I think it is sad u didn't wish him well when he left, like it or not he and his stand introduced you to Mr Ball

    ReplyDelete

    Michael Lomker27 May 2010 at 16:21
    Until working can provide them a better lifestyle than not working, I wouldn't expect them to do so.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bkkdreamer27 May 2010 at 17:40
    Anon: I suppose she rents phones so she can give them back when the youngsters pull out of work, which happens often. If she bought them, they would represent a potential ongoing expense.

    Anon 2: I dislike this word 'enabler'. I had to ask someone what it meant. I have also looked it up.

    An internet consellor, Darlene Albury, provides this definiton:

    -

    'An enabler is a person who by their actions make it easier for an addict to continue their self-destructive behavior by criticising or rescuing.

    'The term codependency refers to a relationship where one or both parties enable the other to act in certain maladaptive ways.

    'Many times, the act of the enabler satisfies a need for the codependent person because his or her actions foster a need from the other person or persons in the relationship.

    'To enable the individual with the addiction, the mutually dependent person makes excuses and lies for the addict, which enables the addiction to continue.

    'Codependency is reinforced by a person’s need to be needed. The enabler thinks unreasonably by believing he can maintain healthy relationships through manipulation and control.

    'He believes he can do this by avoiding conflict and nurturing dependency.

    'Is it normal for someone to think that he can maintain a healthy relationship when he does not address problems and he lies to protect others from their responsibilities?'

    -

    She goes on, but that's enough for now.

    My buying brown stuff for him meets a need and might even perpetuate a habit (Ball admits he's hooked). However, I have yet to figure out what to do about it.

    I want him to function normally. The worst thing for him is being stuck at home all day...the living room is barely big enough to swing a cat in, especially when it is crammed with people.

    When I drop in to see them early evening, he is pacing up and down restlessly, waiting for the chance to unwind (ie drink).

    He can go some days without the brown stuff; sometimes I won't buy it, and his mother refuses to give him money, as she claims she has none.

    In other words, he can work a normal day just like anyone else. The challenge is finding him work which he enjoys, and here I have an issue with Thai employers.

    In his last job, he worked a 12-hour day, five days a week, for the princely sum of just B6000 a month. His latest job, the one he abandoned at the department store, offered no more money. There, he was also required to work a 12-hour day.

    At this end of the job market, employers treat their staff like rubbish. Even if they doubled his pay it still would be too little, and as for the 12-hour days, how can they justify it? He might be young, but he's still human.

    The counsellor above says 'enablers' avoid conflict. In my relationship with Ball and his family, that argument does not apply.

    As readers will have observed, when I am unhappy with Ball or anyone else in that family, I don't hesitate to say so.

    I don't care if it results in my being shown the door; we are still our own people and I still have my own life.

    I weight up constantly whether I still want to be with the family; whether I think they are worth the effort.

    Ball and his girlfriend are teenagers who live in their own world, which adults such as myself can barely understand.

    I work with Ball's mother to make him better. Half the battle is makiing her listen, not just Ball.

    He really doesn't need me that much (and at times, is at pains to show it), as he has his own girlfriend, and plans for his own life.

    I am there because I believe in him in a person, but feel that at this stage of his life he needs help.

    He is sensitive, honest, and gets on easily with others. I am determined he will make a go of his life....he just needs to be shown the way.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bkkdreamer27 May 2010 at 18:03
    Michael:

    You said:

    'Until working can provide them a better lifestyle than not working, I wouldn't expect them to do so.'

    Living in a slum is hell. I doubt there's much enjoyable about it.

    Ball is a teenager. As such, he can find it hard to raise his sights beyond his Mum's nagging, his girlfriend's bitching and moodiness, and the distraction of whatever football game is airing on TV.

    Someone needs to kick this pair out the door each day. They need to be reminded of the need to do what's good for them - building a life for themselves.

    The meagre Thai wage rates they are paid help ensure that staying at home, and working for a living are little different, but that's not the point.

    The challenge for this pair is realising that there is life beyond the slum. As teens, they are prone to forget.

    I was the same at their age, but was lucky to have parents who pushed me to do what was necessary.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous27 May 2010 at 19:32
    your getting frustrated..another set of jobs...12hrs is the norm for uneducated asians...indonesia is worse ..half that pay in indo...sad fact..ball is making CHOICES his own with or without all the other influence...sadly your efforts might not work...so kick back and enjoy the family if you dont get bored now

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer27 May 2010 at 19:57
    You are right. I am frustrated. After each setback I ask myself whether they are worth it.

    Then I reflect on the fact that the whole is better than the parts which make it up.

    Ball and his family are good people. They have made some poor decisions, but their circumstances were never good to begin with. They live in a slum, in a society with gross discrepancies in income and opportunities.

    That might have been okay, but the family's life chances took a big setback when the breadwinner of the family, Ball's Dad, died a few years ago.

    I don't think a day goes by, as I visit their place, that I do not look at the portrait of Ball's dad on the wall and wonder what he was like...and what he would make of us now.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.