Wednesday 28 July 2010

A reformed young man


‘I hope you can keep away from the alcohol today – it’s the first day of Buddhist Lent.’

That was Phra Kew, formerly known as Kew, warning me about the evils of taking the sauce.

As a monk, he has to say such things, I suppose. Still, I was surprised by the extent of the transformation my friend has undergone since he entered the monkhood.

‘I was working as a DJ, getting drunk every night. One day, I found a website on dhamma (Buddhist teaching) which I liked.

‘I decided to do something more useful with my life,’ he said.

I visited Kew yesterday at his temple, a rambling place set in leafy surrounds close to his home.

Kew entered the monkhood in a mass ceremony at Dhammakaya temple in Pathum Thani last Tuesday. He was one of 1000 novices who took the robes (see pictures).

His temple is home to more than 50 monks. I saw few visitors, but perhaps I turned up at the wrong time.

Phra Kew is warming to his new vocation as a monk.

‘I could carry on being a monk indefinitely, moving from one temple to another,’ he said enthusiastically.

Kew introduced me to a younger orange-robed friend with a beautiful smile.

‘This is my nong [junior],’ he said.

I tried not to show too much interest. The young man is a monk after all.

-
I took a motorcycle taxi to the temple. He let me off at the entrance, close to a prayer room.

A senior monk stood outside, welcoming visitors. He asked me who I wanted to see.

I gave my friend's name.

‘Oh, Kew!’ he said, as if his reputation was already well known.

He disappeared for a moment and summoned Kew over the microphone.

‘Kew....a relative is here to see you,’ he said.

A few minutes later, my bald-headed young friend emerged from the prayer room, in the company of three or four younger monks.

‘How did you know...what are you doing here?’ Phra Kew asked as he approached.

Phra Kew looked as if he was about to cry, but was trying not to let it show. He hitched his ill-fitting orange robe back on his shoulder.

I almost cried myself.

Visiting temples is an emotional experience. Whenever I do it, I weep.

I did not give Phra Kew a wai, as he is younger. However, I felt awkward. Next time I shall have to bone up on the etiquette involved in greeting a monk.

‘I didn’t tell anyone I was here...how did you know?’ Phra Kew asked again.

Phra Kew invited me to sit with him. We took a plastic chair each. His friends left us alone to talk.

I told him the story of how I had visited his apartment last week, and left my phone number in the hope that we would make contact. I had visited the apartment many years before, but didn’t know if Kew and his family were still there.

The condo office recognised Kew’s sister from the description I gave, and passed on my telephone number. Kew’s mum called, and told me her son was about to enter the monkhood.

'How is Maiyuu?' Phra Kew asked.

He looked disappointed that I did not bring Maiyuu with me, but I explained that Maiyuu was busy.

Phra Kew looked a little ragged, but it’s been 12 months since I last saw him. I have not seen him bald before. His robes fail to disguise an enormous bad-boy tattoo which Kew wears on his back.

On the plus side, he appears to be growing into his new role in life as a monk.

Phra Kew and I spent 15 minutes together. I sat on the edge of my chair, as eager pupils must when in the presence of a teacher, while Phra Kew expounded about faith and Buddhism, with the odd personal comment dropped in.

I was surprised at how much he had changed. Phra Kew himself seemed unaware of the irony, but he is still young.

Just a few weeks ago, he was living a life of debauchery. Now he warns his visitors off all the vices he himself pursued so enthusiastically, as if he has turned his back on his old life and has sworn himself off the pleasures and temptations it once held.

I told myself not to be to hard on my young friend. Since he took the robes, Phra Kew has a duty to perform.

‘Thailand is full of vice...men pursue lust, teenage girls get pregnant, drugs are rife...Thais are turning away from religion, and society is worse off as a result,’ he lamented.

‘As a farang, I hope you can spread the word,’ he said.

‘Any time you want to meditate, please feel free to pay a visit – and luang pee [a third-person reference to Phra Kew himself] will introduce you to the senior monks here,’ he said.

I tried to steer the conversation away from religion, and back to Kew himself.

‘How is it here...are you coping on two meals a day?’ I asked.

‘At first I wandered around, looking for cigarettes. Here, they ban monks from smoking. But now that I am meditating, I am more at peace. I don’t need them any more,’ he said.

'Meditating was hard, as my legs hurt. Now I am used to it. As for the food, we have a big meal in the middle of the day, so I don’t get hungry,’ he said.

A noticeboard close to the prayer room set out a day in the life of a monk. It lists their daily activities, from when they rise before 5am, and when they go to bed almost 18 hours later.

Some of the Thai words were new to me, and I asked Phra Kew what they meant.

As he explained what he does every day, a small group of his friends in orange gathered around us to watch.

Phra Kew was patient. 'You should have been a teacher,' I thought to myself. Now that he is a monk, his opportunity has arrived.

Phra Kew excused himself, as the monks were gathering at the prayer room to confirm their solidarity with each other. That was mentioned on the noticeboard, too.

‘I am going to see my mum and dad on Sunday morning. My sisters will be there. I can talk more naturally at home. Please come and see me,’ he said.

I agreed.

Earlier, I bought a bucket of personal effects and supplies for Phra Kew. I handed it over, and said goodbye to my reformed bad boy from the Thon Buri side.

At the age of 26 - not before time, his mother would say – Kew appears to have found a place to belong.

Good on him. I hope his happiness lasts.

2 comments:

  1. 16 comments:

    Joyce Lau27 July 2010 at 21:45
    This is a sweet story. It's nice to have a break from the drunken dramas of the other guy!

    I wish Maiyuu luck with his businesses. Caterers can actually make alot of money!

    ReplyDelete

    Boonsong27 July 2010 at 23:06
    It sounds to me like Phra Kew is doing just fine. I'm pleased for both of you.

    All the best, Boonsong

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous27 July 2010 at 23:18
    hi! since you're living in bangkok, im wondering whether you can give me any advice! do you think it will be safe for me to travel to bangkok for a holiday trip since the election will be in novemeber? i really love bkk and i really wanna go there for a vacation! plus, it is possible to sneak extra people up into hotel rooms. there will b 4 of us girls and we dont wanna stay in different rooms! however, theres no hotel which caters to 4 pax one room! thinking of staying in baiyoke sky or indra regent! thanksss so much!

    samantha

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous28 July 2010 at 01:00
    Happiness, suffering, and every living creature—
    Everything that arises, also ceases.

    ReplyDelete

    D28 July 2010 at 07:40
    Sounds like he may have finally found a little piece of the happiness pie … About time! (from what I've read so far he really needed this) Sweet pictures btw orange and white never looked so beautiful and serene.

    - D

    ReplyDelete

    Leon Koh28 July 2010 at 11:50
    thanks for the information about the visitation to the temple to see a friend.. I have a friend who is going to be a monk for 3 months too and your desctiption of the process help me with some expectation of what is to come.. thanks

    Leon Koh from SingaBore
    your regular reader of your blog
    http://hanleong.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous28 July 2010 at 13:01
    .. a wonderful life-affirming story.. for a change !

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer28 July 2010 at 17:42
    Joyce: Thank you. The woman who offered to buy Maiyuu's stuff complained about the likely expense. He will now suggest that she merely sell it at her shop instead, and he will take the risk if any of it fails to move.

    On a more worrying note, she is trying to interest him in joining one of those pyramid sales schemes. I hope she doesn't get too pushy, or the relationship won't last.

    Boonsong: Thanks. I hope he sticks at it, at least for a while. If he can last the full three months, he will have accrued plenty of 'merit' (spiritual brownie points) for his parents.

    Anon: De profundis, de boris.

    D: They are stunning pics, and the temple itself is well worth a visit, though it has been years since I have been there. Kew was among that crowd, though I have no idea where.

    Leon, Anon: 'You are welcome', as the Americans say.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad.28 July 2010 at 18:39
    I've heard that Thais have the expression: "When the student is ready, the teacher appears." This seems to be true in Kew's case. Alas, it seems to be true for most of us, I assume.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer28 July 2010 at 19:01
    I think I would rather have my old Kew back...the one who who knew who he was, and didn't mind it.

    But if being a monk makes him happy, then why not. His old life may have worn out its appeal, at least for now.

    ReplyDelete

    Hendrikbkk28 July 2010 at 23:19
    I always have doubts when religion kicks in and the monk/believer denounces his old life and becomes a 'good person', whatever that is anyhow.
    It is all a bit hypocritical to me especially when the 'sinner' becomes a teacher of all good things.
    I trust bad boys more then religious persons, but that is just me.

    ReplyDelete

    Brad29 July 2010 at 04:19
    As I understand it, it is proper to wai monks as well as novices. The wai is a sign of respect to Buddhism, and not to the person. In fact, those who have put on the saffron robes are thought of as no longer being people. "Person/people" in Thai is "Kohn." Monks and novices are not kohn, they are ascribed the classifier "Roop," which rhymes with the English word 'hoop.' Maybe it's because of the new word roop that Thais think that monks and novices are not people, or perhaps they really believe that there has been a transformation and that the monks and novices truly are no longer people. I don't know.

    On the other hand, even if Kew weren't a monk, it would still be proper to wai him since he is now an adult; adults, regardless of age, politely wai each other when meeting, especially after a long absence. The younger should be the one to initiate the wai, however.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer29 July 2010 at 05:02
    Hendrik: I am partial to bad boys too. If Phra Kew left the monkhood, would he go back to his bad old ways? I bet he would.

    Brad: I asked the boyfriend before I went. 'Don't bother wai-ing him. He's younger,' he said.

    Phra Kew didn't wai me, when normally he would. Maybe that's for the reason you set out above.

    It goes without saying that adults should wai each other if they haven't seen each other a while, as a wai is a greeting. However, in ordinary circumstances he should wai me first, as I am older.

    He has never been slow to raise his hands in the past. I didn't wai another monk I met there either, as I wasn't sure about his age. Nor did I care much, as the meeting lasted only a few seconds and was hardly a formal introduction.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous29 July 2010 at 08:19
    Profound, no...it is Buddha's teaching from the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta( turning of the wheel of Dharma) celebrated last weekend in Thailand. Kew will be reminded of all these truths in the temple.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer29 July 2010 at 08:22
    Anon: If you don't mind, I'd rather hear about it from him, if he has anything to say.

    ReplyDelete

    Brad29 July 2010 at 20:45
    Just another thought on monks and wai-ing: Although I've received a rare and discrete wai from a monk, I don't think they are in a position to wai anyone, even royalty. Generally speaking, a nod of the head and an accompanying smile is the most one can expect.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.