Saturday 21 February 2009

Moving men develop mind-reading skills

The boyfriend called the moving men this morning. A few moments before, I had asked him what time they were coming.

Maiyuu told me days ago that we would move to our new condo tomorrow, but as far as I could tell he had yet to arrange anything formally.

What does that mean? He had yet to give the moving men a time, or even a day.

'Today, I will call,' he said.

It's only the day before, lad - why rush?

-
Maiyuu says he has now booked them for tomorrow. Failing that, he might even move tonight.

We can forget about that ambitious plan - Maiyuu has yet to pack any of the cooking or kitchen gear, which will take at least a few hours.

As I said, why rush?

-
I also heard him talking on the phone to the company which supplies our satellite television service, and then to the telephone company, about putting in a new line for our internet service.

Originally, Maiyuu proposed getting them in to do that last week, but then had second thoughts, perhaps because he was not sure how to juggle all these incoming expenses.

The cost of a new phone line, satellite TV dish, and floor will come to B10,000 more than he budgeted.

He told me about the final bill today, after I asked.

Because he put them off, he is now faced with having to hire them over the next couple of days, at the same time as we are trying to move in to the new place.

Farang like to plan things, to avoid logjams just such as these. Thais just wait for disaster to hit.

-
My home page is Google news.

A moment ago I opened my web browser. A story by the Wall Street Journal caught my eye:

'Impossibly hard to call a bottom'.

What on earth could they mean?

12 comments:

  1. On Wall Street: "to call a bottom" refers to the stock market. Knowing when the value of a stock will reach it lowest rate. Something nobody can predict these days.

    This phrase can be confused with "find a bottom". Around my city, all you do is hold out your arm on a public street. One will walk into it in seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think BKK was being facetious.

    Procrastination has led to some very serious troubles in my relationship with my Thai guy. I hope you can "train" Maiyuu out of that behavior enough to avoid any serious problems.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was indeed being facetious.

    Thank you, once again, for your comments on your Thai BF. Yours and mine sound alike.

    Mine is still busy packing as I write...he might have another three or four hours of work ahead of him yet. It would have been so much easier for him had he started days ago, rather than leaving it until the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sunday now... I hope everything went well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its 8.39pm now Bangkok time....so, I am wondering where you and Maiyuu are. New place or old place? Hope he managed to get the movers and pack up all his kitchen stuff to move intoday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have moved successfully to the new place.

    Maiyuu ran out of time, as I knew he would...he was still cleaning the fridge when the movers arrived.

    He gave up that job, so some of the plastic shelves went as they were - dirty. Oh, the public shame!

    That aside, Maiyuu has worked like a champion. He has been in charge of this move from the start. Don't ask me why...it just ended up that way.

    I helped the men move the boxes, mattress and other items. We finished the job in under two hours.

    It was fun...an adventure.

    The moving men tried to hitch me up with one of their number, a small guy with a wide smile.

    They called him 'Mor 6', because he left school in sixth form (Mattayom 6).

    He looked shy and embarrassed, but laughed off his friends' attempts to act as matchmaker. Maybe they do it often, as he's the only one in their group without a girlfriend or boyfriend.

    I doubt Maiyuu was aware of any of this...he sat in front of the moving truck, giving directions, while I sat in the back with the five moving guys, discussing whether Mor 6 and I should get together.

    I will write more as soon as I have an internet connection at home, which might arrive tomorrow, with any luck.

    Thank you for your interest in the move.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I read the post, I was a little worried. I'm glad everything turned out alright. I can't wait for pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so glad u guys( or ladies?) made it to the new place. have fun over there and don't take too long to get back to blog. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Lyn. It wasn't so bad in the end.

    I still have no internet connection at home, so regular blogging will have to wait a while longer.

    Getting to know the neighbourhood is fun. I walked down to the slum side today...I have discovered many food stalls down side streets there, which is a good thing.

    On the wealthy, suburban side it is much harder to find Thai food after hours.

    I work late, so will probably have to buy food on the slum side (I'll think of a better name for it soon) after work each night.

    One 'motorsai' (motorcycle-for-hire) guy took me to an email cafe. That's where I am writing this message.

    It's on the same non-farang, all-Thai side. In a moment I will walk back to see if I can make any other discoveries.

    I intend to avoid the tourist side if I can, as it is just not me. I am lucky I have found a condo with a split identity.

    I will come back tomorrow to post another update.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your exploring adventure. Be careful and don't get lost!

    Meanwhile how was it to sleep in the new place? Are you liking the quiet? Not going to raise your own chickens on the balcony for old times sake are you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. No chickens. But I am still doing battle with dogs...there are even more of them at the new place than there were at the old.

    The security gaurds let them sleep inside the fence of the condo,
    which surprises me.

    Still so internet connection at home, so this will be brief.

    I visit the condo pool and gym several times a day - I leave the gym 'workout' (ho, ho) until nighttime when no one is around, but use the pool at any time.

    Last night was my first time using weight machines since I left school...I didn't recognise some of the machines (ie know how to use them), I am so out of touch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heh, i know how you feel. I think it's time to get an exercise plan myself...i've gained a few pounds this year.
    Good luck with the dogs, i think they are more annoying than chickens :P

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.