Thursday 16 November 2006

Deceived

Two gays met on the internet via messenger. One said he was 23, and the other - fearing the younger one would lose interest if he did not give a similar age - lied, and said he was 25, when really he is older by more than 20 years.

The older guy, who left his story at the Pantip webboard, says he started talking to the boy because he felt lonely and needed a friend. He suspected the younger one would quickly grow tired of him. As their internet relationship developed over time, however, the two found they were becoming closer - in the Thai style, they became jealous and possessive, pouted, and make up by turns.

'We talked, flirted, exchanged sweet words. I was having fun and didn't think too much about it. It's commonplace on the net, that people do not speak the truth. We also exchanged photographs. Each of us was happy with the appearance of the other. I sent him a picture of myself aged in my 30s. I have a sensitive face, so the young one was not suspicious.'

One day the younger one suggests they meet. He offers to meet the older one at his home, and asks him to give him a time and a date. They live in different parts of the country; the boy is from the North, while the older man is from the South. The meeting is set to go ahead in just a few days.

The older one is panicking, as he now knows this is not a typical gay relationship where guys co-opt for a few days and then move on to something new. The young one appears to care for him.

However, the older one also knows their meeting cannot go ahead. If they met, the boy would be shocked and disappointed, because the older one deceived him about his true age.

'I am more than 20 years older - there's no way he can accept me,' he says.

'Gays of the same age who love each other - even many of those relationships fail to survive.

'I never said I loved him. I just knew from the start it would never survive. I prepared myself for the day when I would have to leave him...it was only a matter of time, and I was just waiting.

'It is so easy to find a partner on the internet, so I felt sure he would soon walk away. Gays form attachments so easily - you can have sex without getting involved.

'But he surprised me by being genuine with me. Now what should I do, to make him hurt the least? I don't think I can let him meet me, as he is likely to be bitterly disappointed.

'I would like our relationship to end, even if both of us end up hurt. But I do not want him to think I have been tricking him all along.'

Readers urged the poster to come clean with the young man. He will know he was deceived about his age, but that's better than travelling to meet the older guy only for him to fail to show up.

One reader said the two had made it this far, and it would be silly to throw away what they had built together. The relationship might still have a chance, despite the deception, and the age gap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.