Sunday 7 January 2007

Cancer diagnosis (part 2, final)


I could not understand why he cried at first, except perhaps as a delayed reaction to the stress and unpleasantness we have put ourselves through, fighting over the last few days.

Now I know why he cried: he thought he was about to lose the love we have for each other - which for my part I only recently discovered was still there, after a long dormant patch.

Late yesterday, I asked him whether the doctors found anything else, other than the obstruction in his urinary tract.

It occurred to me that Maiyuu might have something more, as so much secrecy for a urinary complaint was unusual, and hard to understand.

'They found many things,' he said quietly. They also told me I have cancer.'

Maiyuu said he knew how best to treat it: he would pull out of the Chon Buri hospital scheme, and simply treat himself at home. In his darkest moments that day, I believe Maiyuu wanted to give up on treatment altogether.

However, we have now decided that there is no need for such despond. His cancerous growth is small, and the obstruction in his urinary tract is apparently unrelated.

'You still have to get up, do daily errands, go to work and carry on just like everyone else each day, so you may as well fight on,' I said. 'It is not as if you are confined to a hospital bed. Even then, some people find the strength to fight cancer,' I said.

Maiyuu and I are doing our best to busy ourselves with daily routines, to stop him worrying. Today we went to the mall to buy groceries. Back at home, Maiyuu made a delicious meat and vegetable soup, so chunky it is almost like a western-style stew. We bought Marsha's new live concert on VCD, and watched it together.

His doctor has told him that the best thing he can do is avoid stress. 'Tension could make the cancer grow,' he said. He has also told Maiyuu, 29, to cut down on the cigarette smoking, and then ultimately quit.

I have suggested Maiyuu try counselling, if he wants to talk to someone other than his boyfriend. I also suggested he visit my massage friends in the market, though Maiyuu says he does not want women massaging his body, only men.

'You can do it for me instead,' he said.

He has been so tense he is now getting headaches. I hope my massages help: after getting so many massages myself lately, I should have picked up a few manoeuvres by now.

'I feel miserable and depressed,' Maiyuu said tonight, before I left for work.

For the first time in a long time, Maiyuu is happy to have me close. We hold each other often, or just stop in the middle of doing other things, to hug.

No matter how small the cancer invasion, Maiyuu and I are about to embark on a new chapter of our story. Today, as we walked through the Mall, I felt proud of him. In fact, I felt as if we were the strongest, happiest and most united couple there.

7 comments:

  1. Give Maiyuu my best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you both the very best. Give him hope and get him treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best wishes are with you during this time.
    Respect you, and truly cherish your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are wise to seek the paperwork regarding his illness. Im not saying your b/f isnt telling the truth, but I have a friend living in Thailand who was told by a doctor he had a serious problem. Turns out it wasn't serious, only mild, but they wanted to make money out of scaring him. That's how he put it. So either see the doctor yourself or get another opinion. Better to be safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kind wishes. Maiyuu wants us to follow a treatment model where we pretend he is alright - for as much as possible, anyway. He does not want to think about it, so reckons the best solution is to pretend it isn't there. I'll post more about that today.

    As for the paperwork, I'd still like to see it, and talk to his doctor about his condition. However, for those reasons given above, I don't think I'll get that opportunity any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Second opinions are very important in Asia. Don't tell the other hospital what the first hospital said; just give them the symptoms and let them run checks and see what they say. If you get a different result, go to a third hospital, and so on, until a few of them start to agree.

    Cancer in Thailand seems to be very aggressive. While the psychological approach may help his morale, you should be watching his health very carefully and treating the problem as a serious, life-threatening one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maiyuu's health is largely out of my hands, as he has chosen to make it his problem alone, at least for the time being. So there will be no second opinions from hospitals, unless he wants to seek one himself.

    I can suggest it, but that's all. I don't have the power to insist he does this or that...he is an adult, and I have to respect his wishes. It should not be any other way.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.