Sunday 21 January 2007

Karaoke adventures (part 3, final)


Finally, I agreed.

The karaoke shop was on the same side of the street. As we walked, Dong took my hand in his, as men can do here without attracting any strange looks. His hand felt soft and warm.

When he arrived at Mum's shop an hour before he looked sober enough.

However, I suspect he was now feeling the effect of his beer, as he was having trouble walking straight. 

When he tired of hand-holding, he held me across the back, and steered me towards the shop. Or maybe I was steering him.

The owner of the shop greeted us. Bom knows him, as he works nearby himself. While they were talking, Brother Dong manhandled me into a chair, and ordered beer and fresh prawns.

Bom sat next to me, and Brother opposite. I rubbed Bom's leg in a friendly gesture. We have known each other a long time, and talk often.

Brother noticed, and decided he would like some affection too. When Bom left his seat, Brother swapped places so he could sit next to me instead. He rested his head on my chest.

I did not feel comfortable about touching him, at least not then, as we had only just met. But as the night wore on it became easier, because he looked vulnerable, and wanted someone to comfort him.

When he looked tired, I rubbed his eyes gently, or took his head in one hand, while I ran my hands through his hair with the other.

Like almost all my young friends, Dong is from Esan, and loves to sing look tung (country) music.

'If pee (elder brother) does not sing at least one song I shall be disappointed,' he told me.

In the end we did not get a chance to sing, as Mr Lonely presented himself at our table, and insisted it was time to leave. His need for a sleeping partner was evidently more important.

Gap called just as Mr Lonely started getting annoying, so we took that opportunity to depart.
__

Back at Mum's shop, Brother said he was pleased Mr Lonely went without too much bother - though getting him into the taxi looked hard enough.

'I was afraid I would have to hurt him, as I do not like that kind of thing,' he said.

Earlier, as she introduced us, Mum asked Dong whether he liked guys or girls.

'I like girls, but at the moment I have a broken heart,' he said chirpily.

Don't they all.

After Mr Lonely left, we drank together another couple of hours. I watched Dong stagger to the toilet a few times, and almost fall over on his way across the empty street. That alarmed me.

He liked to lift his shirt and singlet, to wipe his face. That exposed his stomach, and the top of his underwear, sitting above his jeans. He also liked to walk about with his shirt raised to chest level, as Thai men do when they feel hot. I am not sure if he did it for my benefit, or simply to catch the night air.

I pulled his shirt down again, as I did not want people to see his bare chest. Gap watched, but said nothing.

Like Gap, I am protective, and like looking after people. Unlike Gap, however, I tend to make the wrong kinds of friends.

'Do you have B500?' Dong asked me, just before we left. Gap had stepped away from the table, though knew what was going on.

'I want to go to Sanam Luang, to find a prostitute, but I have spent all my money,' he said.

'It is too late for sex. You need food, and sleep,' I told him.

As Gap hailed a taxi for me, Dong declined my offer to drop him off at his condo. His place was but a short walk away.

I called him from the taxi to make sure he was going home, then called again about 15 minutes later to make sure he arrived safely. He had not eaten, as all the food carts at that hour were closed. He would have to go to bed on an empty stomach.

Today I called Dong again, to make sure he was alright. I was worried that he spent too much, and left himself short. He assured me he had enough money left, and we agreed to meet again some time. I have also tried to contact Gap, to thank him for looking after me last night.

Dong moved to the area about five months ago, though I have never seen him, as he only rarely goes out at night. Dong works in the service of an important individual whose name I cannot mention.

Gap asked Dong where he worked, and when he replied, we looked at each other, decided the topic was too scary, and moved on. Dong is himself aware that the matter is sensitive, and pulled an awkward face.

'I am pleased that gay guy caused no trouble, as I do not need it in my job.'

I don't want to make trouble for myself either, but Dong is still young. He needs someone to steer him away from the wrong choices - just as I need reliable friends such as young Gap to help me stay clear of mine.

1 comment:

  1. Even better than admiring their bodies is getting to know them, as radical as that sounds. They are nice on the inside, too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.