Monday 29 October 2007

Pyramid of doubts

I have stopped going to Mum's shop on workdays, as I want to save money and do a few things for myself occasionally.

Until recently, I used to go every night, where my patience did battle with football bores, heavy smokers, noisy drinkers...

I am by no means perfect. Once upon a time, if I had too much to drink, I would get noisy, too. That gave way to a phase where I would grow quiet as I contemplated...God know's what. The state of my sore head in the morning?

Lately, the regulars at Mum's shop have watched the football every night. It took me a while to discover why they get so animated, and why they will watch almost any game, no matter how obscure the team, or poor its ranking.
Gambling!

Last time I was there, one regular won B6000. He bets against someone else that such-and-such a team will get a certain score. The one he plays against will bet against a third person, to protect himself in case he loses. It sounds as multi-layered as the myriad of re-insurers and back-up re-insurers at the high end of the insurance industry. How big is the pyramid of bets and hedge-bets for any one game?

Mum's teenage son, one of the few football fans there who doesn't gamble, lists on a whiteboard all the games which patrons can expect to watch each night. They start about midnight, and just keep going, one after the other.

As the game hots up, I see regulars pull out little black books where they keep a record of their winnings, losses, who owes them what, and how much they owe to who...

They also pull out pages from the sports papers which they have tucked away. Some lay bets over the phone. Some simply wager against each other.

Among the regulars are soldiers, and traffic police from a nearby police station. Because gambling is against the law in Thailand, none of this, in fact, takes place. It's all imaginary - as is the unmistakable stench of weed I detected one night last week, when a regular drinker who sits with the traffic police pulled out a joint and lit up in front of them.

Am I missing all this excitement? Not much, as I am just a spectator. I know if I wager money myself, I will lose, because I do not follow football, and it takes a certain kind of mind to make good money from gambling. I am too vague, and not ruthless enough.

On the plus side, I am getting to see more of the boyfriend, on those nights when he is at home. I also get to bed earlier, and sleep better.

I now get up about the same time as my noisy Chinese neighbours, so when they take out their young child to play in the hall outside my condo early in the morning, I am rarely woken by the noise, and nor do I have to miss out on sleep.

I am also getting to see more of life the way most Thais see it, in the daytime. It is good to see the sun.

The negative side? I suspect I am becoming more reserved, as I see my drinking friends less, and now have mainly just the boyfriend to keep me company.

I have also found myself asking that corrosive question which inevitably comes to mind at such lonely moments, when I contemplate the comparatively rich network of social and work ties which I could enjoy in the West if I was still there. The question? It hurts even to write it.

'Just what are you doing here?'

6 comments:

  1. Obviously the network of social and work friends you had back home was not satisfying enough at one time to keep you from moving to BKK then...

    As they say, "The grass is always greener on the other side..."

    Remember, it is always easier to dwell on our shortcomings than it is to count our blessings...

    What you need is balance...maybe by spending a few nights at home and a few nights at Mums and maybe one night a week you do something totally different you can find that balance...

    I think what you really would enjoy is being a "father" if not in the traditional sense maybe in some figutive sense...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah...the balance thing. So desirable to have, yet so difficult to achieve. For the time being I shall stick to being a homebody during the week. However, if it gets unbearably quiet, I might make the occasional visit to Mum's place, to keep myself sane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the problems with addictive/dysfunctional behaviours is when they are congruent with one's social circle. This is why it is really so hard to quit smoking and drinking: usually all one's friends also do it and so to quit the habit usually requires finding new friends. But if it helps you find a healthier lifestyle, maybe you should consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BBK,

    Trust me...I love it when you go to Mums shop...the stories are great! But balance is a goal it is something to remember when you find yourself in a situation that is less than desirable...its just a way of reminding yourself of all to good things in your life too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As an aside...

    Who is the cute guy in the picture....he really draws alot of attention to this post!

    Got any more of him...that reveal alittle more of him?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carl: I do not know who he is. Hopefully, loyal reader Ian will notice your comment. He sent him to me, so maybe he knows more.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.