Saturday 24 November 2007

Life-changing (Love of Siam - part 2)


In a similar vein, another Thai writer says he, too, fell for a young man when he was young. Like Tong, he decided he would be happier living his life in the mainstream rather than in a gay relationship.

He changed his path not because it was what he wanted, but because he feared judgement from his parents, friends. These days, he is the same - he does not want to buck the trend, because he believes only bad things will result.

In Tong, Music not only finds someone he can love - he also discovers the part of him that has been missing. Tong buys for Music a missing nose part for a toy he cherished as a child.

The nose makes the toy complete, and allows him to 'breathe', giving him the strength to carry on, even if Tong is not by his side as an ordinary boyfriend might be. Music is played by 'Pitch' Witwisit Hiranwongkul. He is pictured above outside his school, and with Tong. In one poignant scene, which you can see above, Tong revisits Music's bedroom, which he last saw as a child.

Some viewers are annoyed that Tong caved into parental pressure to forsake his fledgling relationship with Music. However, they expect that as they embark on university life, both boys will have many more such encounters which help them find out what in life they want to be.

Viewers also also impressed with the character June, whom Tong's parents hired as a substitute for missing daughter Taeng - and with Tong's mother. One Thai boy says the film has affected him like no other. He feels sorry for June, and commends the courage of Tong's mother, who fought for her family, even though she may have ended up hurting her son.

One Thai left the following short piece of writing, which he says a student wrote. It evokes the same reaction as Love of Siam. Too optimistic - or, on the contrary, maybe just too sad to contemplate?

Does It Matter?

My father asked if I am gay

I asked Does it matter?
He said No not really
I said Yes.
He said get out of my life
I guess it mattered.

My boss asked if I am gay
I asked Does it matter?
He said No not really
I told him Yes.
He said you're fired faggot
I guess it mattered.

My friend asked if I am gay
I said Does it matter?
He said No not really
I told him Yes.
He said Don't call me your friend
I guess it mattered

My lover asked Do you love me?
I asked Does it matter?
He said Yes.
I told him I love you
He said Let me hold you in my arms
For the first time in my life something matters.

My God asked me Do you love yourself?
I said Does it matter?
He said YES
I said How can I love myself? I am gay
He said That is the way I made you
Nothing will ever matter again

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.