Wednesday 12 December 2007

Noodling and the Lord

Eating a noodle before work, I could hear a man's voice through a loudspeaker.

We are in the closing stretch of an election campaign, and I assumed it was a party campaign truck.

They move about town running tinny recorded messages. Sometimes the candidate stands on the back, waving, but often all you get is an empty pick-up truck.

I switched off, as you do after hearing too many of these messages.

However, my 10-minute walk to work took me closer to the source of the noise, until I identified it as a pick-up truck parked on the side of the road close to a busy intersection.

It was broadcasting messages not about the election, or politics, but religion.

I stopped on a walk-over bridge for a closer look. Below me in the gathering darkness, I made out the shape of a woman on the footpath.

She was wearing a face mask, to protect her from the vehicle fumes. She held aloft a sign in Thai, saying: 'In the Lord Jesus, there is eternal life.'

Her body was motionless, so still that she looked like a doll.

A few pedestrians had stopped and were watching her, or listening to the message coming from her truck.

In this predominantly Buddhist nation, Christian preachers are a novelty. Did she get any converts? Who knows.

I pressed on, as the vehicle fumes were getting to me, and I was late for work. Life with the Lord might be eternal, but the clock at work stops for no man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.