Friday 22 February 2008

Back into battle (2)

The office staff and I enjoy talking to each other about the differences between farang and Thais, the climate, food, my Thai boyfriend...

Today I spoke to one of two women who runs the office, a woman in her 40s called Bom.

'Maiyuu is clever, isn't he...he is putting down the floor tiles and now painting out your room,' said Bom.

Maiyuu is now decorating our condo himself, after he told the workers he hired to paint our place, and put down a new vinyl tile floor to go. I never met the workers, though I am sure they were here.

'Did you see the men he hired?' I asked Bom.

'Yes,' she said.

Maybe Bom saw that question coming. She has dealt with suspicious farang tenants before. She might have given me an automatic 'Yes', whether or not she did actually see anyone.

However, I suspect she was telling the truth. It's too big a job for one person to do alone. Maiyuu could not have done it himself, and his friends were not interested in helping.

Maiyuu has finished putting down the floor tiles. The other night, when I went out in the early evening, he had started work - measuring each tile, the space he had to fill, and cutting the tile to fit the space. It is painstaking work. When I returned after midnight, he was still at it.

The next day, he spent the morning cleaning the paint brushes in the condo carpark. If we clean them in our place, the paint clogs the drains.

Thais do not expect the foreigner to soil his hands with such dirty work, though I am keen to help.

This might explain why Bom admires Maiyuu's home-decorating talents. She does not expect I will be called upon to help him decorate. If I did pitch in, I probably wouldn't do as good a job.

I moved the conversation onto the neighbours' noise. My little talks with the office always end up there eventually, as they are a persistent source of stress.

now, see part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.