Wednesday 21 May 2008

Man of the household (2)


When I first met Chuay eight years ago, he was barely into his teens. He has now finished school, and in his spare time plays for an American-football team.

The last time I last spoke to him, he was about to sit an exam to enter the police force.

It was time I caught up. The night after the motorbike ride, I dropped in to the shop.

I stopped to talk to Chuay, who was sitting at his Mum's shop.

"I sat the exam, but didn't get in. I found out later that I would need to pay B200,000-300,000 to get in to the police force, no matter how well I did in the exam. Either that, or I would have to have a relative working there.

"I don't have any family connections I can exploit to get in, and I wouldn't want it that way anyway. The police force is corrupt, and widely seen as such by Thais. I would rather be in the military instead," said Chuay.

He has now entered the military, and is working as a driver to an army chief. He works a regular Monday-Friday week, though if his boss is going somewhere overnight, he will say at the same place as him.

"I enjoy it. My Mum is getting older, and one day I want to tell her she can stop working at this shop, and that I will support everyone.

"First, though, I need to save money. Why I like my job? People respect the military more than the police, and the welfare entitlements are good.

''If anyone in my family falls sick, their medical care costs are covered by the state, because I am a soldier. I also get to serve my country," Chuay said.

One night in February, the family - Muay, her husband, Chuay, and the newest addition, a girl aged three - lost their home and belongings in a slum fire.

now, see part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.