Sunday 1 March 2009

Putting pride first

First, the computer at home was working; now it's not.

We spent two hours in the stifling heat getting the internet connected yesterday, after waiting for the man from the telephone company to arrive, then a technician from the condo to tweak something else.

I used the computer for half an hour before it was time to go to work.

Today, the internet connection appears to be working, but the screen refuses to light up. I am undecided whether to call someone in to look for it, and lug the hard-drive to a computer repair shop at Pantip Plaza.

-
On the slummy side of my condo, I dropped in to a laundry business. A young woman there told me that she services many tenants from my condo. In fact, her boss, the laundry's owner, started her business there.

Back then, she had four staff, and worked from her unit at the condo, picking up laundry around town which she washes, irons, and then returns.

Now, the business has grown so big that it employs 40 staff, and had to move to new premises - the shophouse where we talked that day on the slum side of the condo.

At my condo, some tenants have bought their own washing machine, but many have not, so send out their washing to be done elsewhere. The laundry charges a bit over B10 a piece, which is reasonable.

Not 10 metres from her shop is a bank of coin-operated washing machines. I don't know who owns them, but anyone can use them, and I have noticed Thais who live on that street taking their clothes in a washing basket there to be washed.

Which to choose?

At my old condo, the office provided four coin-operated washing machines in the carpark. At my new place, the office provides no such service, so owners (or tenants, in our case) are left to their own devices.

I am an independent type. I am not used to sending out washing to be done by a stranger, as it all seems too personal to me. If I could, I'd rather carry on doing it myself.

A large vacant lot separates the condo from the slummy side. Stray dogs and slum dwellers roam there...people who live in flimsy wooden dwellings with tin roofs.

I would like to lug my basket of clothes across the vacant lot, and wash it using the coin-operated machines which the Thais use, but am worried about it would look too down-market.

The Thais might look at me in a bad way: another farang drifter with no money! Any foreigner residents who spotted me carrying my washing basket would think the same thing.

Boyfriend Maiyuu says the coin-slot washing machines are probably dirty, and wants me to use the pick up and delivery laundry service instead. I might be independent, but I also have my pride. If I carried my washing basket around in public, then everyone would get to see my dirty clothes, not just the women at the laundry service.

I will probably give up my do-it-yourself quest, and do as he suggests.

-
Maiyuu has bought a mattress for his bed, which will be delivered today. For the last few years, he has slept on a flimsy padded mattress which folds up.

I had never seen the things before I came here, but they are a common sight in Thai mattress stores, for those who lack a bed base or want to sleep close to the floor.

I feared Maiyuu would carry on sleeping rough at the new condo too, but thankfully not.

At the new place, he has a wooden bed base in his room; back at the old condo, which was unfurnished, he did not bother buying a bed base or mattress, so he slept on that wretched padded thing instead.

13 comments:

  1. If you got the funds ...have it done by the laundry, generally they are pretty good. It would be a smart thing to spend adwords money on. And, I am hoping, you are not washing your pink thongs with them...those can be done in the sink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. .. I agree with Maiyuu.. those machines are probably dirty. Some things are worth paying for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i used street-side coin-operated laundry machines in chiang mai. they were not dirty, and in fact generally worked great. i wasn't worried about looking downmarket, but the two other downsides were lugging laundy around, and worrying that my clothing might some day disappear... maiyuu's idea is probably better--but who cleans the unmentionables?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what sort of computer you are using, but here are some basic tests:

    If the screen appears dead, that is -no- display of even a boot screen, unplug the monitor from the -computer- while it is turned on. You should get some sort of "no signal" message, if so, the monitor is probably OK -check the connections. While the connector is still unplugged try turning the monitor off, then on. Look for any indication of life.

    Also, listen to the cpu tower try to tell if there is any hard drive action as you turn the machine on and see if it tries to boot up.

    All this presumes a PC w/separate monitor. Apple, especially those IMacs don't have much to indicate what is going on, but listen for any action internally.

    In my apt over there I have become the "doctor" and already made several guided trips to the notorious Pantip Plaza for parts. It's funny, I don't tell my neighbors here in NY about my comp abilities because I do not want to be bothered with hysterical knocks on my door from someone who just lost "everything". Over there, I don't mind helping, It gives me something to do while I am there and Thais are very appreciative. I don't charge, but never turn down a dinner invitation :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you buy your own machine & dryer and wash ur own clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buy your own washing machine.
    I don't know what types they sell in Thailand, but get a European style front loader rather than those awful Japanese style top loaders.
    Unless you like having mangled dirty clothes of course, in which case the top loader will do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was Once: I would look revolting in a thong. I am too old, saggy and baggy.

    Matt: I would worry about clothes going missing, too. I clean my own underwear at home. I don't know what Maiyuu intends to do with his.

    Lino: Thank you for the computer advice. Maiyuu turned it on and off as you suggested. The monitor has now come back to life.

    Orn, Anon: We will eventually buy our own machine. For now, a more immediate priority is buying a sofa, to fill a huge gap on the living room floor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well, you could always get a laundry bad to put your clothes in so no one would have to see them.

    Unless the coin op washers are using dirty water I don't see how the washers themselves could be dirty. They have all that water and soap going through them all the time. If I have the time I would much rather use the coin laundry. Bt10 per item could add up awfully quickly at the laundry service.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oops. That should read "laundry bag" not laundry bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like "laundry bad" better. just who is this guy??

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can understand where you're coming from. I started washing my own clothes at the age of 10. Then, when I went back to Laos for 6 weeks,my relatives didn't have a dryer or a washer and they sent out their clothes to be wash.I usually don't like people touching my things and having strangers wash my clothes, it felt very odd. It was like they were invading into my personal space.

    It's odd at first, then you get use to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laundry...what a pain. I just bought a new washing machine and now its making strange noises.
    I would say of the two options, use the pickup service

    ReplyDelete
  13. a bit late with my comment...but still.
    i have had my laundry done by professional people. they were very reliable, lovely and caring. they loved me coming around for a chit-chat and every time the local motocy driver or some other person was in there too for a chit-chat.
    they do invade some of your personal space of course but if you are lucky that is not a bad thing.
    it's not quite cheap though, depending on how often you change your clothes:)
    as always, underwear of course gets washed by the person who wore them only.
    even my girl(friends) from uni dont give their undies to mum to wash but wash them themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.