Sunday 22 June 2008

Time-wasters

Day two without the boyfriend. In years gone past, day two, three, or four in a row would be nothing out of the ordinary. But these days I am used to him being home.

Last night Maiyuu sent a text message to say that the car had broken down. The travellers were waiting for a mechanic to arrive, but if the repairs finished too late, he would have to spend a second night away from home.

Maiyuu left for Singha Buri to make merit with kathoey friends on Friday morning, just as the flu decided to pay me a visit. I was too ill to go in to work, and have called in sick for the last two nights.

Unfortunately, I have had to spend all that time alone, as there is no one else here. Most of the cooking which Maiyuu did before he left - pizza, a spicy sausage salad, and pastry puffs - has gone to waste, as I couldn't eat it.

They went away at short notice. To expect otherwise would be to involve Thais in 'planning', which is almost a foreign concept. Similarly, I am sure no one bothered to check the roadworthiness of the car before embarking on the journey.

When I called him yesterday at 11am, his group still had not risen for the day. This morning, I called at 8am, as I am tired of him wasting time in the company of veteran time-wasters such as his kathoey friends - one of whom even makes merit for pet animals.

Maybe that requires a separate trip to the provinces. Hey, why not make that one day for dogs, and another for cats? Who cares?

They have achieved little with their lives, but I don't see why they should have to act as a drag on mine as well.

I would like some human company around this place, as I am getting sick of being alone. Having Maiyuu around makes my own company much more bearable.

'The car is now fixed,' he told me sleepily on the phone.

Hopefully, they might get home at a reasonable hour, preferably before I return to work this evening. If his job is to make merit at temples, mine is to go out to work, to keep him in the style to which he has become accustomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.