Wednesday 2 July 2008

Bed warmer

A Thai woman friend contacted my partner yesterday with an offer of temporary work, sampling consumer opinion on a new bed.

A bed manufacturer has hired a room in a city hotel for eight days, and put in there a new bed or mattress on which it wants customer feedback.

Boyfriend Maiyuu and any other Thais who sign up for the work would approach foreign guests or visitors in the hotel lobby, and ask them to accompany them upstairs to the room, to take a look at the bed.

Why foreign visitors? I have no idea. They would work from a script, written in English. If they saw a foreigner walking through the lobby, they would approach him or her, and (presumably reading from a script), invite the hapless person to take a look at the bed. Just a look, mind you. They do not get to sleep on it.

Maiyuu would be paid B1000 a day, but he would have to persuade 10 farang to give their opinions on the bed every day.

'You will never get that many, as foreigners who stay in hotels are usually there on business, or are going out for the day. They don't have 15 minutes to look at a bed. What's in it for them?' I asked.

'You foreigners are tight,' said Maiyuu, meaning we are mean with money, or perhaps time.

'Even so, we are usually too busy to waste time on something like that,' I said.

In the end, Maiyuu agreed that it probably would not work. He is likely to turn down the job offer.

'I have a question: if a foreigner liked the bed so much that he asked you to sleep on it with him for the night, what would you say?' I asked.

Maiyuu looked shocked.

6 comments:

  1. Yea. Why only foreigners? Why at a hotel in a private room? Sounds a little shady to me.

    Why not out in the open at a shopping center. I would think you would get better results because the product is right there and people love shopping centers.

    Bed manufacturer didn't think it through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm.. tricky question.

    but the other question is, how much is he offering? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. foreigners, being distrustful/skeptical/cynical lot would be alarmed if someone would approach them with an offer to look at a bed upstairs without nursing funny thoughts. then again, if someone hot would do the asking... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. They would get a sample of Farang skewed to gay blokes who fancy Maiyuu -count me in...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think most foreigners would very VERY wary of going along with a total stranger (no matter how nice he may seem) to a hotel room. I was scammed by a couple of young people outside the SkyTrain on my first visit. They claimed to be taking a survey of tourists, presumably for the tourism office, but it ended up being some sort of timeshare scam. I was sitting in my hotel the next morning and got a phone call from some one telling me I won some sort of prize or other. I felt like an idiot for giving those strangers so much info about myself.

    I agree that they need to put it in a more public place. They could surround it with curtains or something if people are weird about trying out a bed in apublic place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that your bf?

    Send my compliments to him ok. He looks HOT. gREAT body :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.