Monday 15 September 2008

Dream-maker slow off the mark


Boyfriend Maiyuu is baking a cake for the man who cuts his hair. Today is pay day, so we have money to do such things.

He sat in my lap for the first time in weeks. 'I am excited about moving to a new condo, but worried about the amount of work involved in moving,' he said.

Today I am expecting a call from the condo where we would like to live. The manager is calling with the names of any owners who have places to rent.

People buy units at the condo, then rent them out.

I have made a list of things I need to ask. I ran them past Maiyuu, as he will need to talk to the owner too.

We have furniture, so do not need a place which is already furnished. We will need to a mattress and a bed for Maiyuu, but we can worry about that later.

Maiyuu sleeps on a padded mat. He has no bed. If he doesn't like it, he has never complained.

However, he is excited about having his own bedroom to sleep in at the new place, should the move go ahead.

'Don't agree on a price right away. We need to talk about the maintenance fee, if there is any. Hopefully, we can split it, as the owner should really pay half,' he said.

'When you have finished talking to the owner, I will talk to him too,' said Maiyuu.

Thais bond more easily with each other than they do with farang. However, Maiyuu is happy for me to undertake initial negotiations, now that I have made contact with the condo.

This being Thailand, I doubt the manager will call with a list of owners' names as promised. I shall have to call myself.

When we had finished talking, I picked up Maiyuu and sat him down in the next room.

I wonder how long he has wanted to move, but never said anything.

At first when I suggested moving, Maiyuu did not seem interested, and I wondered why.

One reader suggests he was merely waiting for me to take a lead. I have now taken first steps. I told Maiyuu that I am keen on moving. I have viewed the place, spoken to the office, and told Maiyuu that I will get the money for a deposit from overseas.

That was all the encouragement he needed. Now that Maiyuu can see signs that our moving dream might come true, he is so excited that he can barely sleep.

I wish he had spoken up sooner, or that I had realised he was unhappy living here. I chastise myself for being a fool.

8 comments:

  1. How many other dreams has this young man nurtured over the years? Find out. Take his hand and start talking. Express yourself and how you feel. Open your heart. Show your willingness towards commitment. Tell him you will stop wandering in the night looking for love if you had love at home already. You might be surprised to find out he has always loved you but held back. Thinking he might be be replaced by something younger could explain his behavior. That second bedroom might not be needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maintenance is paid entirely by owner of the house from where i come from. we only pay the rent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neil: Thank you. In the past, Maiyuu probably was worried that I would replace him with someone younger. Once, during an unhappy phase in our relationship, I almost did.

    Now that I am old and ugly, I think he doubts anyone would have me! In any event, I don't think he worries about it any more.

    However, I think it is time we had one of those talks. Once this condo business is over, I will do as you suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old and ugly doesn't get cat calls from 7-11 gay boys.

    He loves you. Give him a hug.

    I'm stepping off my soap box now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pardon me saying so, but I don't think you are a fool. Maiyuu obviously cares for you or else he wouldn't be with you. Like anyone, he has dreams and desires. But I think from what you said he is very happy just to be *with* you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If by moving to this new place saves you on electricity/water bills, transportation costs and commuting time, at par with the increase on rental, by all means go for it.

    But if moving is going to drain on your resources ultimately, I dread to read your subsequent posts relating to your financial affairs.

    These are difficult times. Be prudent , and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon: I enjoyed that comment. Thank you. Yes, if the rent is too much, but we go ahead and move regardless, I too dread to think what will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. careful when you have that talk.. he might misinterpret it as criticism or dissatisfaction with the status quo.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.