Saturday 20 September 2008

Flirting with a straight guy

I can report no progress on the condo-moving front. Maiyuu spent the day at work yesterday, and went back there again last night. He did not have time to call anyone, or look up any places on the internet. That's okay...the novelty of finding a new place to live is starting to fade for me, too.

-
A young man and his girlfriend have moved into my present place. He is tall, handsome, and knows it. I see him most nights in the condo carpark, talking to the security guard in northeastern dialect.

In the lift the other day, he was wearing a T-shirt which showed off his chest muscles, though he may have puffed out his chest to give me a better look.

Standing from behind, I looked admiringly over his shoulder as we went down in the lift.

His girlfriend, who is much smaller, was barely in my field of vision, so preoccupied was I with Mr Chest.

As he chatted to the security guard in the carpark, he lifted his T-shirt, so I could look at his back.

As I walked past I turned to look - which he saw, of course. Mr Chest and the guard laughed.

I have seen him several times since, and each time I give him an admiring look. My boyfriend has noticed that I like Mr Chest, too. 

About midday yesterday, I was in the lift again. It stopped at the fifth floor, and who should get in but my young friend.

He was wearing a wrap around his waist, and nothing else. When he saw me he sat down wearily on his haunches. He had just woken, as he was rubbing his eyes.

'What is wrong, my boy...are you sleepy?' I asked him, as a father might tease his son.

'Mmmm?' he replied sleepily.

'Oh...it's alright, young one,' I said, making a parental clucking sound.

I was teasing him. He knows what I am, and likes the attention, so why not play?

When the lift arrived on the ground floor, half a dozen tenants were waiting. They looked at my bare-chested friend, but said nothing.

His girlfriend had called, woken the boy, and told him to come down to meet her at the entrance.

An hour later, I had finished my business in the market, and was returning to the condo when who should walk out of the lift.

My young man, alone, had showered and dressed. He was wearing a black dress singlet, to show off his chest.

'Are you over your drowsiness?' I asked. He laughed.

Eight hours pass. Last night, after returning from work, I went down into the market again for a walk, and in the hope of seeing my young friend.

He walked into the lift as I was leaving it. 'You're going out to drink!' he joked.

Esan types, who are less hung up about themselves than Bangkok folk, love a good drink. Perhaps Mr Chest, who speaks in a thick Esan accent, is a recent arrival from the provinces.

'No, I am not,' I said, taken aback by his brazenness.

He made sissy sounds, as if he was imitating a girl. Now it was his turn to tease me.

Mr Chest behaves as if he is high on his own hormones. His girlfriend looked as if she was used to his boisterous streak, and said nothing.

Another tenant, aged in his late 20s, looked confused. He was not used to such behaviour.

I can see I shall have to treat Mr Chest with caution, unless I want to be ribbed mercilessly in front of other tenants.

Still, one good tease deserves another. Next time I shall have to stroke his chest, and ask his name.

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm...? Doesn't sound like you want to move. You have everything you want in the Soi. You really like it there. Now a straight "acting" lust man has moved in. I'll repeat my comment from a earlier post. "Can you find a better apartment in the Market part of town you live in now?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. As it happens, the BF has suddenly become busy with work. I hear him on the phone, urging customers to transfer funds, and haranguing late payers. At the moment, he does not have time to help me look anyway, which is probably a good thing.

    A rash of condos has gone up around here, anticipating completion of a skytrain link across the river from Bangkok, but none are as close as we are to the market.

    That explains why those condos are still half empty (or worse) and why our building is fully occupied.

    If we moved around here, I would like to move into a shophouse, or a house. I don't think we'll find any houses in a hurry, and shophouses have security issues.

    One day we might get to hear about a place and do something about it, but I am starting to doubt it will be any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok? What's a shophouse and why are the insecurity risk?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A shophouse is a village shop which often doubles as a home. Residents run shops or businesses from the ground level facing the sidewalk. Some put goods on a table out front and sell them there, others set up the bottom level as a shop or trading space, and shoppers can walk in.

    Where I live, owners run email cafes, eateries, and motorcycle repair shops from the ground level of their shophouses.

    When business is closed for the day, owners pull aside a steel shutter door.

    They usually live on the upper level(s). For those shophouses which are just homes (no shop space at street level), residents live both on ground level and above.

    Some keep the slide door closed almost permanently. Others open the shutter door, but pull across a slatted thing which lets in light from the street, and allows residents to look out.

    They can be open on two or even three sides during the day. I imagine thieves could gain easy access, through the windows if not the sides.

    Blogger Farang Silom ran a piece a few months ago on shophouses, when he too was looking for somewhere to live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, now that we know what a shophouse is, why do you want to live in one?

    Planning to start a business?

    By the way, whatever happened to your crazy Chinese neighbors. Did they move out? I find them so interesting but yet so odd--son impregnating two sisters, and his mother having to care for the children.

    If you write a book about your experiences in Thailand, I would totally buy it. That's saying a lot because I don't buy books, I just check them out at the library or illegally download them.--sorry I'm from the Napster generation, we don't buy media, we just download them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lyn,

    > Okay, now that we know what a shophouse is, why do you want to live in one?
    >
    > Planning to start a business?

    Good questions. No, I don't want to start a business. I just dislike the feeling of being stuck in a box all day, which is what condo life gives me.

    > By the way, whatever happened to your crazy Chinese neighbors. Did they move
    > out? I find them so interesting but yet so odd--son impregnating two
    > sisters, and his mother having to care for the children.

    They are still here, but are being much quieter these days. The father is hardly ever here. He lets his women folk get on with raising the kids...once the hard work is over, maybe he will come back.

    > If you write a book about your experiences in Thailand, I would totally buy
    > it. That's saying a lot because I don't buy books, I just check them out at
    > the library or illegally download them.--sorry I'm from the Napster
    > generation, we don't buy media, we just download them.

    Thank you, Lyn. On the blogosphere, I don't think I admire anyone else as much as you. You write with great spunk and verve. I was lucky to find you.

    If I ever write a book, I will send the proof first. You can tell me how to make it sound more natural and real.

    PS: I have a post on Grammy singer Marsha coming up soon. Do you like her?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe he was asking if you were going out to drink, so he could tag along ? hmm

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.