Sunday 28 September 2008

Shopping bore



'You
can't hear anything when we go out shopping, even when I am standing right next to you, talking. You get irritable, which makes me stressed.'

That is Maiyuu's explanation of why we do not go shopping together any more - unlike in the old days, when I first arrived in Bangkok, when Maiyuu would take me to department stores every weekend.

I had wondered why we never do anything any more, other than occasional sorties to the shopping mall five minutes from our home. Now I know.

I remember those days. I was new in Bangkok. In the heat, as I trudged along behind my boyfriend, I didn't know how to cope, except complain. My legs ached, my clothes clung to my sweaty body. It was not a good feel, or a good look.

All around me were Thais who did not seem to feel the heat. They kept a perfect composure, despite the fetid environment: their clothes looked unrumpled, their lustrous hair was unmatted.

Their young faces shone with the radiance of youth, not with the sweat on their brow, as we pushed and jostled about, on a humid, uncomfortable Bangkok day.

If we were going to Mahboonkrong shopping centre near Siam Square, Maiyuu would take me on a bus. We would get off the bus, then board a boat across the Chao Phraya river.

After that, we'd hop on another bus.

Getting there would take an hour. And that's even before the endless slog through the Mahboonkrong shopping centre, or other department stores in the area, even began - in search of trendy clothes shops, boutique earring outlets (he liked those - don't ask me why), stalls selling cheap but reliable movie and music CDs...

My boyfriend, raised in the provinces, was himself new to Bangkok when we met. Yet he appeared to know everything. I cannot recall one occasion - even one - when he would guide me on to the wrong bus, board a boat which went somewhere else, or even take me on to the wrong skytrain platform. He knew exactly where to go, yet he had been in this big city just six months before me.

Some Thais from the provinces accomplish far less. One foreigner friend tells me how he took a girl from the provinces to a Macro department store in Bangkok - only to have the girl freeze, too scared to venture any further.

An outing with Maiyuu to Mahboonkrong department store would take a whole day. I would spend half the next day recovering.

I don't want to go back to that phase in our relationship: it was too draining. That's why I am happy for Maiyuu to assume sole responsibility for shopping in town.

When I need new work shoes, as I do now, I ask Maiyuu to buy them. He goes to Silom or our old stamping ground, Siam Square, for a look.

He goes alone, as he is no longer willing to tolerate my constant complaints about the heat, sore feet, and so on.

Normally he comes back with a new pair of shoes, or new clothes if I need them, within a couple of days of my asking. Now he's getting slack.

More than six weeks ago, I told Maiyuu that the soles of my work shoes were getting thin, and I would like some new ones. He claims he went to Siam for a look, and ordered a pair. However, the shop had no shoes in farang size in stock. I would have to wait.

Well, it's now been weeks, and still no action. I threatened - oops, offered - to go shopping myself.

'My shoes hurt. Next week, I will go to Siam myself to look for a pair of shoes, as your shop takes too long. Please withdraw the money for me,' I told Maiyuu yesterday.

I knew that would get him going. Maiyuu likes to keep control of the finances, as he reckons I am no good with money. Left to my own devices, I would buy poor-quality shoes which are too expensive.

'I will take another look for you myself,' he said.

That's better. I had no intention of going back to Siam - I haven't visited the place in years. That's a place for the young. Let the Thai boyfriend do it, if he is so determined to hang on to my money.

Siam Square is a place of love, according to the director of the gay movie set there, Love of Siam. In that case, let Maiyuu show his love by going in search of a new pair of shoes for his fussy, hard-of-hearing farang boyfriend.

14 comments:

  1. Maiyuu seems like a lazy and uncommited bf. That's my impression after following yr blogs for a few months. I'm not sure how you define a relationship but a bf who doesn't go shopping with you for such lame reasons (besides jobless for a while, aimless in life etc) is something to think about. Either both of you start working on it or it's time to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's the big boy in the first photo?

    I like that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to expound of the idea of intention, which is where western readers not familiar with it misunderstand your relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't leave him. He knows it, I know it. We are bound to each other, for good or worse.

    I have thought he was lazy for years, not just a few months. and lazy he is, at least by my western standards.

    I suspect Maiyuu is coming to terms with the fact that he is about to enter his 30s, and that life isn't as carefree, fun or irresponsible as it used to be.

    He's always shouldered the burden of having to look after me, his older farang boyfriend.

    He might even argue that it has made him older prematurely - just as worrying about the idle lifestyle he pursues occasionally drives me nuts as well.

    We do manage to tolerate each other most of the time. But occasionally he gets complacent.

    He forgets that it is me who has to go to work every day, and that he could do more to help.

    Yesterday he spent the whole day chatting on the internet. That's just a waste. He could have used that time more productively - by going into town to look for shoes for me!

    I said as much when I came home from work. He said he would take a look for me today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was Once: My intentions for the relationship?

    My intentions are simple: To make him do the most he can to make my life more pleasant, while still maintaining his self-respect!

    Neil: I don't know who that lad is. He looks severe, which is why I like him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neil: Oh, you mean the guy in the header? That's Korean actor Lee Jun Ki.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, BKK —Maiyuu's intention that he has... to love you that is far beyond the current state of affairs...he will love you until you die. Not necessarily the kind of relationship one would have in the west..at least gay.
    Sure, he is lazy by our standards, but he knows the true nature of life(suffering)....if he can get by without working..so be it....but he will not ...not love you in his own way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was Once: You are a perceptive one. You are right, he does have his own kind of love, which westerners cannot compare with their own.

    He is steadfastly loyal - not just because I am the main breadwinner, but because of the kind of love he believes in, which is love until death.

    Why does he believe in love until death? It is probably linked to the fact that he knows about suffering (as you say in your comment), and what it means to be alone.

    Maiyuu lost his parents when he was in his teens. He has an elder sister, who has stopped contacting him.

    He has extended family, but he says he has nothing in common with them, and no longer stays in contact.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No not the header boy Lee Jun.

    The one topping this post. Yummy.

    I meet strippers on the east coast like him. They just walk up and take you. A silent command that causes submission. They control you with just a look. Wrap their arms around you and whisper what they want. Moments later you are in a back room. Totally under their control.

    We are just sheep to them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. God, I hope that happens to me before I die - to have some dominant Thai guy just appear and make me his for the night. I would find out things about myself which I never knew before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Next visa run try Fort Laudrdale. I'll get you a Cuban with blue eyes. The stuff they say under their breath is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not do visa runs, as I live and work here legally - but thank you for the offer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.