Friday 27 February 2009

Cunning new scheme


I tried a cunning new scheme today. The boyfriend gets sick of me asking him to do things around home.

Today I tried setting up the computer, which has sat in the middle of the living room floor since we moved condos on Sunday.

Normally, if he is at home, he won't let me do tasks which he has offered to do himself, as he reckons he does everything so much better than this bumbling farang.

However, in some cases I have to wait days before he shows any sign of wanting to make a start, which is frustrating.

A man from the telephone company comes tomorrow to connect our line, so I thought we should set up the computer today. While Maiyuu was out shopping, I tried it myself.

I am hopeless at putting things together, but even if I attempted and failed a few times, it would be better than relying on Maiyuu to do it - especially when he has been so reluctant to help lately.

I grumbled about Maiyuu yesterday. However, by late afternoon, his spirits had improved. While I was at work, he washed the dishes, baked a cake, swept the floor.

Tonight he plans to go back to the old condo to clean it further, pay the power bill, and talk to the office about ending our lease. This morning, he went shopping for groceries.

While he was away, I pulled parts of the computer out of boxes and laid them out on the floor. When he walked in the door, Maiyuu was unhappy to see me at work.

He claimed I was cluttering the place. Actually, I suspect that my starting on the task made him feel guilty. He told me to put the components back.

'I'll do it for you later,' he said.

I refused.

'I want to do it myself. I enjoy putting together the computer,' I lied.

He stormed into his bedroom, and locked the door.

At our new place, Maiyuu has a lock on his bedroom door. When he wants to show his displeasure, he slams the door and turns the lock so I can't follow him in there.

At first, I protested, but now I let him get on with it. A couple of times, I appeased him after he flounced moodily into the bedroom.

Today I ignored him, and carried on with the computer job, which has been bugging me for days.

Ten minutes later, Maiyuu reappeared from his bedroom. He was no longer angry - in fact, it was as if nothing had happened.

'You are making a mess of it - here, let me do it,' he said.

While I sat watching, Maiyuu re-arranged the computer, monitor and printer on the desk where I had placed them.

The way I had assembled them was passable, but his was better - he created more space on the desk by tucking the hard-drive and printer underneath. Much more sensible.

I have discovered that Maiyuu prefers to do household tasks when I am not at home, as he reckons I get in the way.

Previously, I assumed he did jobs while I was away only because I nagged him before leaving.

Now I suspect he would have done the jobs anyway. As he says, maybe there is no reason to nag, as he would get around to doing most jobs himself - though preferably when he is alone.

So, for now Maiyuu is back in active mode. Soon after finishing one job, he starts on another, if he thinks I am not watching. Long may it continue.

Postscript: Some readers ask why I do not do more to help. I work outside the home; Maiyuu does not.

3 comments:

  1. "Some readers ask why I do not do more to help. I work outside the home; Maiyuu does not."

    -That- is the key to this relationship. This is classic "husband and wife" stuff. My Mexican friends are somewhat macho in the outside world but, at-home the wife calls the shots.


    When I am in the Kingdom:

    Their country.
    Their rules.

    I am a guest...and always will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A man from the telephone company comes tomorrow to connect our line, so I thought we should assemble the computer today."

    Assemble? Isn't it a matter of connecting the cords to it's proper outlet? Don't tell me you literally disassemble your computer for the move. WOW.

    The more I read about this move, the more Maiyuu reminds me of myself and my older brother. You, remind me of my parents, very compulsive, which is not an insult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assemble is the wrong word. I am not putting it together in a factory. 'Set up' might be better. I will change it.

    Setting it up was the easy part. Much harder was connecting a phone line, and then connecting to the internet. Maiyuu and I spent two hours puzzling over the instruction manual for connecting broadband internet, before he finally called the provider.

    The woman from the provider company spent the next 30 minutes 'talking him through it', as the saying goes.

    We are finally connected.

    I am probably quite similar to your parents, Lyn. I am older, so have less time to lose.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.