Monday 23 March 2009

Thai condo life: Where's the action?



Large frangapane trees grow by the rooftop pool of my condo (see above).

Last night, after spending several hours in front of the computer, I went for a solitary swim. The sun was setting, the place empty. From the pool, I could smell the sweet scent of frangapane in the air.

Before I went home, I picked a few flowers, which now sit in a small bowl in the kitchen.

I did not see anyone on the way there, or on the walk back.

Few Thai tenants bother with the pool. They make up 80% of the tenants here; the rest are foreigners. Some use the pool, though few during the day when I am there.

Simple acts such as picking a few flowers for the boyfriend make me happy, but I am not sure it will be enough to keep me occupied.

I am missing the contact with real life which I enjoyed at my old condo, on the Thon Buri side of Bangkok.

We lived in an old fresh market, where there was always plenty to watch. We battled with noise from a railway, dogs, and chickens, it is true, but I could also talk to people.

At my new place, we live in much better surroundings, but I meet fewer Thais.

Thais who live here have money, good jobs. They come here to escape the nastiness of life on the streets, so it should be no surprise if the place feels cut off.

For the time being, Maiyuu and I can take simple pleasures from our new, improved surroundings in the centre of town.

I enjoy looking at the pink wattle tree, which I can see from my bedroom. In the morning, I sit on the veranda and watch the sun rise on the high rises in the Silom business district.

My boyfriend enjoys our new closer proximity to shops in town. He can walk around Silom, just a few minutes by taxi from here, if he wants a break from home.

I hope we meet a few friends at this condo. I was hoping Maiyuu would make friends with some of the tenants while I was away overseas, but he did not.

He appears to have spent the last two weeks almost entirely in his own company.

The condo has a gym, close to the pool. Young people also meet most evenings for tai kwon doe classes. Does that sound like my thing?

I could press weights in the gym, perhaps, but once again I would like to do it with a friend. Maybe I should put up a notice: 'Gym weight-training buddy wanted!' - and see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. 10 comments:

    Anonymous23 March 2009 at 16:25
    In the United States.. the better the building you live in.. the fewer people you see. I know of many instances where people have lived in a building for over a decade, but have never made friends with their neighbors. On the other hand, I once moved into a enchanted, but slightly slummy complex.. and three of my neighbors became my best friends for years and years.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer23 March 2009 at 18:07
    I suspect it is the same in Thailand, too.

    I can't say I made many friends at our old condo, which was more down-market than the present one, but at least I found plenty of people willing to chat.

    Here, I have met one guy, a farang who lives on the floor above, and that's it. People are too busy leading productive middle-class lives to bother!

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous23 March 2009 at 18:22
    If you have so much free time, you could go around the exhibtions in Bangkok- or you could join a gym, take classes, hang out in coffee shops, become a barfly, or get a part-time job teaching. All of these would be ways to meet people of various types.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer23 March 2009 at 19:01
    If I have so much free time? You sound jealous!

    ReplyDelete

    neil23 March 2009 at 19:11
    The quiet time (social isolation) of the new condo can better your relationship. I once lived with a guy half my age. (20) We met while both living in a active area of a city. Really gay area too. We both enjoyed the many layers of entertainment offered by our location. Going off on your own was just as fun as going together. Two years after living together, my job relocated me. My younger companion* (*note title) was in college and decided to follow me to a new city to continue his education. The new city was quiet in comparison to the last. Almost culture void. To my surprise only a week after moving there I was receiving phone calls asking when I would return home from work. Working in a restaurant, my job supplied free cocktails at the end of shift. Who would pass up a free toddy? My "coming home" time varied depending on how good or bad the shift was. I never was asked when I would return home before? Most nights on my return he wasn't home. Now in a big empty city he was lonely. We became closer because of his social interaction needs. You might find your little buddy is in need of more companionship now because of the new location. I have never notice you writing of your adventures together, besides shopping for shoes or home appliances. Maybe you can pull him out of the bakery to venture together and explore. Until I received the phone calls at work, I never knew I had a boyfriend*

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

  2. lyn24 March 2009 at 00:06
    Neil,

    We're talking about Maiyuu here, the guy seems to be naturally anti-social.

    "I hope we meet a few friends at this condo. I was hoping Maiyuu would make friends with some of the tenants while I was away overseas, but he did not."

    M, you sound surprised.Even I knew he wasn't going to. I like Maiyuu and his anti-social personality. I don't think that is going to change any time soon.

    Oh welcome back!

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer24 March 2009 at 05:52
    Neil:

    -You might find your little buddy is in need of more companionship now because of the new location.

    I am sure he is, Neil, but he has yet to take up any of my invitations that we go out together.

    -I have never notice you writing of your adventures together, besides shopping for shoes or home appliances.

    That's because we seldom do anything else together! He's a home body, and is reluctant to meet anyone outside the condo.

    Lyn: Thank you for the warm welcome back, dear. You said:

    -M, you sound surprised.Even I knew he wasn't going to. I like Maiyuu and his anti-social personality. I don't think that is going to change any time soon.

    You know him well. I, too, admire his independence, and his ability to detach himself from others.

    He doesn't care what other people think, which reminds me of myself when I was young - before I realised that to survive in this life, we have to make an effort with a *few* people eg the boss.

    Still, I worry about his ability to spend long periods alone in his own company, and what will become of his friends if he neglects them too long.

    Maybe they are unreliable, have yet to grow up, and no longer meet his needs as a mature adult?

    ReplyDelete

    Takashi24 March 2009 at 08:51
    hope u like the condo :)

    ReplyDelete

    Lino soon to be in BKK again..24 March 2009 at 10:50
    You have a POOL on your roof!!??

    All mine has are some old antennas, bird droppings and Bangkok mold on the parapet.

    It's OK though, the elevator rarely makes it that far.:-)

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer24 March 2009 at 17:48
    Takashi: Thank you. I am sure we will.


    Lino: Your description of your Bkk condo sounds just like my old one...littered with aerials, satellite dishes, tenants' clothes hanging out to dry, mold and moss.

    I remember the roof of my old place well: I jogged up there every day for years.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.