Thursday 9 April 2009

Bike arrives, but without receipt

Boyfriend Maiyuu has bought his bike. It is a large, smart beast - a gleaming silver-and-blue mountain bike, with seven gears.

Maiyuu bought a quality bike. 'I don't want an ultra-cheap bike which mae ban (housekeepers, cleaners) use...they look as if they might fall apart,' he said.

Unbelievably, the thing appears to have come without an instruction manual.

As I write, Maiyuu has taken the thing for a ride to the supermarket, to buy ingredients for his new takoyaki (Japanese dumpling) maker.

He turned up with one of those yesterday, too, along with a handful of new bed sets, which cost about B200 each.

We get two each. I opened one pack last night. It contains a fitted sheet, two pillow cases, and two cases for bolster pillows - the sausage-shaped pillows for which I had no name, until readers kindly supplied it to me a few weeks ago.

But back to the bike. I had hoped to look up the make on the internet, and bring you a picture of thing if I was able to find it.

However, in the few short hours since Maiyuu brought the bike home yesterday, he has stripped all the stickers off the bike, and thrown away the receipt.

He also claims that he bought it without an instruction manual. When he walked in the door with the bike late yesterday, I did not see one, so perhaps he is right.

Maiyuu says the bike cost a bit over B10,000. But without a receipt, I have no other way of telling.

He bought it from a shopping mall close to our old home in Thon Buri. If I cared enough, I could trek back to the mall and ask them.

I write this post mindful of what regular reader the Shrink has been telling me about my life.

'Love yourself more - then all your boyfriend problems will sort out themselves!'

Before Maiyuu bought the bike, I asked him to bring home a receipt. I did that in the name of self-love, self-preservation, or whatever you want to call it. No one likes to be cheated of his money.

If I truly loved myself, I would still demand evidence of how much it cost, right? Yes, yes, dear reader. Been there, done that.

In Maiyuu's absence, I have flicked through the desk drawer where he keeps the household bills and his stash of condoms.

That's a strange mix of things to keep in one place, I know. I found plenty of condoms, but no receipt for the bike. I did find what looks like a partial consumer guarantee for the bike, but it tells me neither the price, nor the make.

Boyfriend Maiyuu has reverted to his nasty, feral ways...secretive, and possibly dishonest. All this, over a mere B10,000? But then he comes from the provinces, has no job, and no income of his own.

He must be aware of the precariousness of his lot. No farang boyfriend = tough times!

If the bike actually costs less than he told me, and he spent the difference on his dumpling maker and bed sets, I do not really mind. But why not just say so? Maybe I make too big a deal out of financial accountability...demanding he show me this receipt and that.

I am not tracking every last baht...I can't be bothered. But one day, I might have to tell my boy that, as much as I love him, this childishness has to end.

The bike is too big to fit in the lift, and for security reasons Maiyuu does not want to leave it on the ground floor, or chain it up outside.

He has decided to keep it inside the condo instead.

Go for it, lad! We are on the seventh floor. When Maiyuu wants to use it, he has to cart it down an exhausting seven flights of stairs.

3 comments:

  1. 17 comments:

    Bkkdreamer8 April 2009 at 20:54
    I liked the comment of yours, Neil, before you deleted it. What's wrong with it?

    I was just about to leave a reply when I noticed it had gone.

    ReplyDelete

    neil8 April 2009 at 20:54
    Had to delete that one. Didn't want to go there!

    ReplyDelete

    neil8 April 2009 at 20:57
    Sorry, but I felt it wasn't positive. You wrote a very nice post about your dinner. They the next one was a little darker filled with suspicion and scandal (the condoms) I would enjoy see a more positive run on the dialog here. I didn't want to start a fire.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer8 April 2009 at 20:57
    I don't know who gets to see Maiyuu wearing a condom. But yes, good to know he uses them.

    Maybe I don't punish him enough. That seems to be the only thing keeping some gay couples together.

    I just flaggelate myself instead.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous8 April 2009 at 21:52
    You think too much !

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous8 April 2009 at 22:00
    you used to sound happy and content together, that is what i get from reading your blog, until the shrink starts psycho analysing your relationship. now u kinda sound paranoid or doubly suspicious of anything your boyfriend does.
    yes, there are the occassional problems one encounter or indiosyncracies from both partners, from the blog.
    its best only for you and your partner to maintain the balance of love and hate in the relationship, without any outside forces to interfere.
    how good is the shrink in his own relationship to start guiding others and giving advice to others. maybe he has a partner who completely god-worships a farang and yes to anything he says, so to him his relationship or the way he runs the house is perfect.
    receipts? hahahaha i am guilty of not remembering how much i spent on something i bought all the time. my partner nags at me too, but then he doesnt ask for proof of purchase. and i do shop alot. from singapore, land of eating and shopping.
    hope both of u will be better. hate to see a dear john from you to maiyuu in this blog.
    *arik

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lino8 April 2009 at 22:23
    Well if you got a quality bike, dumpling maker and pillows (I refer to these as "humping pillows" -just to annoy the friends) consider yourself lucky in the land of fakes.

    Last summer I was in a shopping mall @ Siam Sq, I saw some Shure microphones at a truly fantastic price. The did look slightly different than the American made but I assumed they were the Asian issue.

    When I told my friend at Grammy, he put arm around my shoulder in an avuncular manner said "those are for the Thai people only...fake copy".

    When you buy "cheap" in Asia you get things like pliers that are so malformed that they can't even hold a bolt, wire strippers that break in the first half dozen times you use them. Plugging strips that look like they have a ground pin but it's just a hole.


    ...The we have the fake Ipods....

    I will get one of those mics, just to try it out.

    As for BF, look even if he deceived you on the price of the bike, he did buy useful items -not drugs or booze.

    He has the life of a child so it's not surprising that he acts that way.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous8 April 2009 at 23:56
    Sorry, completely unrelated, but I usually don't like the pics of guys you post, since we've got different tastes, and I really do come here for the writing/stories. But the shirtless guy in the black jeans pointing caught my attention. Any chance you remember where you got that pic from ? thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer9 April 2009 at 00:15
    Lino:

    'He has the life of a child so it's not surprising that he acts that way.'

    True. He did buy useful items. He does most things for us as a couple rather than merely for himself. He is a good kid, really.

    And in reply to Anon who posted earlier, yes, I suspect I am thinking too much.

    Anon: No, I don't know who the guy in the black is. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete

    jino9 April 2009 at 04:31
    hi there..
    i have been viewing your blog for a while now but i've never really commented coz i used to come and just look at the pics you post and the updates on the thai celebs =)

    but now i just wanted to say hi and introduce myself =) just so you know that you do have a viewer who comes by your blog once in a while..

    quite interesting for me..altho i won't comment on your relationship entries at all just because it doesn't concern me..

    keep up the good work! i'll come by again ^^

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bkkdreamer9 April 2009 at 08:48
    Jino: Thank you, and welcome to our little community. It has been a little fractious of late, but hopefully that phase will soon pass.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer9 April 2009 at 09:21
    Arik,

    Thank you for your warm comment.

    I agree, the post did sound a little paranoid, as if I could feel the Shrink breathing down my neck. Have no fear, he won't be around much longer.

    Nor do I plan to leave any goodbye messages to Maiyuu on this blog.

    It wasn't that serious, really...he just let himself down, and me too, unfortunately. We can live with that, and tomorrow will probably be better.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous9 April 2009 at 09:54
    It's true that I don't seem to be helping, and it's not my intention to hound you- I don't want to be where I'm not wanted. As I said, I hope for the best for you.

    I'm busy, too, as I said, though I keep coming back. All right, then, it's your blog. I'll stay mum for a month or so. If you want me to post more after that, you can say so.

    ReplyDelete

    jino9 April 2009 at 11:06
    thank you for the warm welcome.
    whether or not your recent posts is just a phase or not, i can't really complain.

    it's YOUR blog after all. you can just consider me a fly on your wall. I won't criticize, complain, or condemn you for your writings. I am in no position to do so.
    I'll just frequently pass by. observing and occasionally saying hi =)

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous9 April 2009 at 12:21
    If Maiyuu buys a bicycle, you request the receipt, don't get it, but pay him anyway, it's sort of falling between two stools. You haven't demonstrated that you trust him & you haven't verified the price you pay is correct either.

    J

    ReplyDelete

    Kevo339 April 2009 at 20:07
    Yes this post definitely had a "different" feel to it...
    My Thai bf is absolutely horrible with money. I think he thinks that if his bank account is in the negative, it will magically make more money on its own.
    ugggghhh!!

    ReplyDelete

    Doug10 April 2009 at 00:24
    Anonymous Arik said about Anonymous Shrink: 'how good is the shrink in his own relationship to start guiding others and giving advice to others'?

    It reminds me of the wise saying: We teach what we most need to learn.

    When I have just given somebody advice that strikes me as especially clever, I realize in the next moment that it's advice I need to be following myself!

    Maybe the Shrink's advice to BKK reveals exactly how the Shrink's life is going.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.