Friday 3 July 2009

Gays on the perch, concert memories

We are sending off clothes to be washed and ironed today. I send mine every week. Maiyuu sends his every month.

Yesterday he sorted through an enormous pile of unwashed clothes, which he keeps in his bedroom.

We can send only 80 pieces at a time, so he chose those he most wants to wash (I suppose), and left the rest.

They now sit in two large rubbish bags, waiting for the girls from the clothes washing service to collect.

'I still have plenty more left over in my bedroom,' said Maiyuu, referring to his pile of unwashed clothing.

I don't think I have ever seen that space empty. Maybe he enjoys the company of his unwashed clothes.

I sent off a modest basket of work clothes, amounting to less than 10 pieces. These days, I make sure I check the pockets first, as I am forgetful.

Today I found B20 in one shirt, and B60 in another. In a third shirt, I found the ID card I need to get in the door at work, which I left there two nights before (last night, a friend let me in).

That's good. That card is still clean, and doesn't need another wash just yet.
-
Two gay guys were sitting outside my condo building yesterday as I went for a swim. They were still there when I got back.

'Do you know Mr So-and-so?' one guy asked as I went in the door.

He gave me the floor number.

No I didn't, but I knew which farang he meant.

'I call him but he does not answer.'

Well, maybe he does not want to see you, dear!

'Can I visit into your room to call him on your phone?'

No, you can't.

'Two Thai friends are cooking up a storm in there,' I said, and left.

This was one of two gay encounters I had yesterday with the public.

Such is the state of my memory, I can't remember what happened in the other, but give me time, and it will come back.
-

Elgar
Do you like symphony concerts? My Mum does, and thanks to her, I was exposed to them from a young age.

In Sydney, the city where I grew up, home to a world-renowned opera house with majestic sails, the symphony orchestra performed annual seasons of well-known classical pieces, in concerts aimed at the young.

My Mum would book season tickets, for me and herself.

The oldest child, I was in my early teens. The others were still too young to appreciate it when I had my turn, though she was to take my brother and sisters in due course, once I became too 'grown up' to be seen out with my Mum.

On concert days - from memory, the first Tuesday in every month - Mum would drive from home to see me at school in late afternoon, a 45min trip.

After I finished my homework, we'd catch an old deisel-powered train into town - one of the few times I went into the sparkling inner-city, except for Christmas - to visit the local opera house where the concerts were held.

We'd take a meal together in a restaurant overlooking the harbour, then find our seats in the concert hall. I don't know what we talked about; I wish I could remember.

I wore my school uniform. Mum used to get dressed up.

Often during the concert, Mum would fall asleep, though she still enjoyed it. I liked watching the players on stage. How come they did not get nervous? Everyone knew exactly what to do...how was that?

The orchestra played popular pieces like Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance. Many families took their offspring to the concerts, some much younger than me. I used to enjoy inspecting the printed programme - it looked smart, like the occasion itself.

The concert ended about 10.30pm. I suppose we finally got home at the exciting hour of midnight.

Today as I write this, I am listening to a classical radio station broadcast over the net from Sydney. It is still going after all these years - as is my Mum, bless her.

2 comments:

  1. 11 comments:

    Lino2 July 2009 at 22:39
    I behaved badly towards sitters (and often our maid) so from the age of 3 my parents took me with them to restaurants and shows.

    Live theater was no problem, but film double features were too much for me to remain quiet. One of my earliest memories was looking forward to a Chinese restaurant called the Dragon Inn in NY's Village. It was mostly red (of course) and I always finished my plate of Chow Mein, the waiters often brought second serving to me. Liked the Asians even then.

    As for Robbie's situation well, he should have been able to judge the reaction of his parents beforehand...

    Even though both my parents were well educated and uh..worldly (my Father was an art dealer) I never discussed my sexuality. It is -my- business and I didn't need any advice.

    Forgive my being judgmental here but, why do people feel the need to "come out" to their parents, or anyone else. You would not bother declaring your heterosexuality.

    The old saying:

    Keep a secret, be it's master

    Tell a secret and be it's slave.

    Lino

    ReplyDelete

    Wilko2 July 2009 at 23:40
    Violin fiddles???
    Do you mean the bow or cadenza?

    l went to a concert in London and my mate started snoring! Oh the shame!

    The best concert l have been to was Mozart's Requiem at Christchurch College, (where Harry Potter was filmed) in my home town. lt made me cry.

    Steak for breakfast, Maiyuu is spoiling you. ;)

    ReplyDelete

    Wilko2 July 2009 at 23:43
    Ps. Maybe a flippant question but why don't you just get a washing machine? Can you not make room? l'm sure it would make life easier for you both.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer3 July 2009 at 01:55
    Lino: I agree. Why do so many gay guys feel the need to tell? Our parents can do without the grief.

    Wilko: Sorry, I should have said 'bow'. I had a funny feeling about that word 'fiddle' but let it go, because I couldn't think of what I wanted.

    I don't like Harry Potter, but would love to visit Christchurch college. Such a pretty name.

    I went to Europe 30 years ago or more, but can hardly remember a thing.

    We probably should get a machine, but the laundry/ironing place provides such a good service - much better than I managed back in the days when I did it myself.

    ReplyDelete

    Ray3 July 2009 at 03:49
    If b/f only washes clothes once a month I'm not sure I'd like to smell the room. Maybe you should take it upon yourself to send his off to the cleaners weekly as well.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer3 July 2009 at 05:58
    He doesn't smell, funnily enough. I give him 100 cheek kisses a day, and smell cigarettes, or the outdoors, but never old clothes. The same goes for his room, though I never wander too close to the clothes dump, I have to admit.

    ReplyDelete

    William3 July 2009 at 07:51
    Laundry once a month! Anything growing in that pile of clothes? lol

    ReplyDelete

    Wilko3 July 2009 at 10:11
    Haha, right, l'm with you now. l think a lot of instruments have changed over the years. Not always for the better. l have a piano which is over 100 years old and it sounds a lot mellower, if there is such a word, than a modern piano.

    Christchurch College is beautiful but so are all the Colleges in Oxford. l'm sure you would love it here.

    lf my son told me he was gay l wouldn't batter an eyelid. His best mate of 6 years is gay so l suppose l dont take a lot of notice.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3 July 2009 at 12:06
    It is our parents' responsibility to know us and accept us. If you can't be honest with your own family about who you are, it probably means you have a number of identity issues.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer3 July 2009 at 17:42
    Wilko: I am sure I would too. It sounds wonderfully romantic. How do you find the climate?

    You have a sensible approach to the gay issue, I suspect. Maybe it's a generational thing, too. How old is your son, may I ask?

    One day I hope to ask my brother and sisters how they feel about the gay thing in relation to their own children.

    It's a bit too early as yet - the oldest ones have only recently started school!

    ReplyDelete

    Wilko4 July 2009 at 00:27
    The climate tends to be unpredictable. 10 inches of snow or, as at the moment, heatwave. We have a saying '9 months of winter and 3 months bad weather! but we do have seasons which is nice.

    My son is 22. His mate and his boyfriend are 20ish.

    Oxford is called The City of Dreaming Spires. lf you Google Oxford for images you will see why.
    Romantic? l suppose so....Marks and Spencers do a good meal for two. lol.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.