Saturday 4 July 2009

Brasso invective, Elgar reprise

You just can't keep a good man down.

The bane of my blogging life, Mr Anonymous, is back, with another nasty remark on the meaning of life as he reckons it should be lived. His latest comment was left in response to yesterday's post about how a young man should respond when his parents won't accept he is gay.

Well, okay, I didn't cover that ground exactly - I talked about symphony orchestras instead. But the blog post which motivated it, by Malaysian blogger Robbie, who is having problems with his Dad, does look at this sensitive matter (link harvested - it died).

I thought Robbie's post about his Dad's anti-gay stance was sympathetic and reasonable, even if I didn't agree with all of it. 

Here is Mr Anon's devastating response:

'It is our parents' responsibility to know us and accept us. If you can't be honest with your own family about who you are, it probably means you have a number of identity issues.'

His scathing remark about identity issues is probably aimed at me, rather than poor Robbie.

Back in another life, when I lived with a woman, we used to visit junk and curio shops, which in the olde worlde English-style city where we lived (Christchurch, New Zealand, since you ask), could be found around almost every corner.

Once I bought a bracelet in copper or gold brass for her, with someone else's name on it. In times past, a man had bought it for his girl, and dedicated it to her. She had an old name like Flo or Betty; the owner of the shop reckoned the piece was about 50 years old.

When we took it home, we polished it with Brasso, to brighten it up.

When I read Mr Anon's acidic comments, I am reminded of that can of Brasso. His comments are so caustic, they could clean metal.

If I could put his spittle in a can, I would market him as Gay Brasso. If I had a gay chandelier, you could clean it for me, love.

Because we enjoy a bit of drama, I have decided to remove the moderating bar on reader comments, at least for a while, to see what he comes up with next. So, fire away, Mr Anon.
-

Elgar and a young Yehudi Menuhin
In yesterday's piece about symphony orchestras, I mentioned English composer Elgar. Hours after I wrote it, by strange coincidence, I came upon another reference to Elgar, in a short story called Elgar and the Watch My Father Gave Me.

The author is a Singapore-born Australian citizen, Kim Cheng Boey, who teaches creative writing at Newcastle University.

Kim Cheng Boey says that at 16, his Dad bought him a watch - and a vinyl recording of Elgar's Violin Concerto.

Here he is, describing a visit with his Dad to a Singapore market, on the day his oft-absent Pa bought him those gifts:

'At the next stall, a long-haired man with tattoos creeping out of his singlet served up brimming glasses of sugar cane juice with great gusto, grinding the cane and milking the crush for the last drop. The late afternoon light was aligned with the river's flow, a distilled light without glare. I think that was the last happy day I had with my father.'

A week later, gambler Dad, forever in financial trouble, turned up at the house to ask for the watch back, so he could pawn it. Thankfully, his son was much closer to his Elgar recording than he was the watch, for he was never to see it again:

'The watch my father gave me and then took back, ticks only in my memory, where my father also lives. Elgar's timeless piece goes on, retracing, measuring, anticipating our steps, resonant of lost years and vanishing places. Menuhin [who played on the recording] seems to be deferring to the last note; but there is no going back, the music says. I am in a new country, a lifetime away from my lost country, my lost father.'

I suppose Boey grew up with the English language all his life; otherwise, it would be unfair. Many native speakers of English can't write this well. They are unable to use their own language as expressively as Boey does; nor do they have his mastery of story-telling technique.

I found Kim Cheng Boey's story about his Dad, Elgar and the timepiece in a literary journal, Asia Literary Review. The journal describes itself tersely on the back cover as 'new fiction/reportage/travel/memoir'.

Asia Literary Review is sold in the US, UK, Australia, and many places in Asia, including Thailand, where it goes for B395.

PS: Thank you to the friend who sent me two copies. I have a list of shops in Bangkok where you can buy it, for those interested.

PS 2: The story includes a picture of composer Edward Elgar and violin prodigy Yehudi Menuhin, then 16, outside Abbey Rd studios (see above).

'Menuhin is cooperating with the camera, while Elgar's pose betrays an air of unease...perhaps he is impatient to go the races,' Boey writes.

4 comments:

  1. 16 comments:

    Wilko4 July 2009 at 00:43
    Have you listened to Elgar's Enigma Variations. His Cello concerto with Jacqueline du Pre-Daniel Barenboim is a must too.

    Oh l dont do healthy either. l took a salad to work, because it is so hot at the moment, and it was the newsflash of the week!
    Cookies need icing or chocolate or they are fake!! In cognito. Ha

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous4 July 2009 at 03:33
    When I came out to my family, it was one of the most difficult things I had ever done. But I was walking on air the next few days- it was something I had needed to do for myself for a long time.

    Since families need time to 'come out' to themselves and others as the parents/brothers/sisters of a gay person, it is important to involve them in your own coming out process as soon as possible. Without this very important knowledge of who you are, the entire family is dealing with you on false pretenses (and you with them). There may be surface calm and serenity, but it is dishonest and not real; i.e., it is not the real you who is a member of the family but a facade.

    In the worst cases, the family won't be able to behave maturely enough to continue to maintain contact with you, and they may become abusive. So you should be prepared for such an eventuality- have valuables and sentimental items already removed from the family home, for instance. If you are unlucky enough to have such a family, though, it hardly seems much of a loss to lose them. Even if there was some nominal peace and harmony previously, it was a lie.

    In better cases, you may find that a real, functional relationship becomes possible as time passes. The only way to find out is to try, and that takes courage, energy, and the support of good people in your life.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer4 July 2009 at 05:48
    Wilko: Yes, I like his Enigma Variations.

    I wish Maiyuu would make more salads; I might have to suggest it to him.

    We have a huge salad/vegetable drawer in the fridge, full of mainly vegetables, so I will suggest he fill it with greenery instead.

    Anon: 'It is important to involve them in your own coming out process as soon as possible...'

    That's a matter of opinion, and doesn't work for everyone.

    Whether to tell families or not should be up to the individual, and whatever suits his circumstances.

    Apart from anything else, what is to say a young man won't change his mind when he gets older?

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was Once4 July 2009 at 06:16
    I agree Dreamer, now.
    With further contacts with asian families over the years. The honor a gay child or any child owes their parents outweighs their need to tell them. It is not my way, and I know it puts a heavy burden on gay children to hide until most of the times their parents die.
    This consequently puts a huge strain on any asian gay partnership, esp..two asians.
    I am lucky, my partner Mom knows and is fine with me...because she knows her son is loved and that is what is most important.

    ReplyDelete

    Wilko4 July 2009 at 08:01
    I spoke to my son about this subject, l told him l had posted here, that l wouldn't be bothered if he or my other son told me they were Gay and was absolutely gobsmacked at his reply.

    He told me that when he told his Dad, who was by then married to someone else, that his best mate was Gay, he and his wife sat him down and gave him a lecture for over an hour about how hard it was to be Gay and that it wasn't a good thing.

    l never knew.
    l asked him how it made him feel and he just laughed and said 'they're just ridiculous Mum'.

    When his best mate and his boyfriend came here for the first time l was just chuffed to have someone in the house who loved Strawberry Pink Body Scrub as much as me!!

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer4 July 2009 at 08:30
    Maybe one of the unexpected consequences of a divorce is that family members end up communicating more with each other than those families which are still together.

    Children get to see things from both sides, in any event, which can be a good thing.

    Your son sounds as if he has a sensible head on his shoulders, and enjoys an open relationship with you.

    How funny, that Dad's new wife insisted on sitting down as well, to give your son the gay lecture.

    Maybe she thought she was lending him support, as a good wife is supposed to do.

    Perhaps she was also offering advice as a step-Mum - though if I was her, I'd want to keep my nose out of it. What if you happened to think diferently about the matter?

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer4 July 2009 at 08:31
    'l was just chuffed to have someone in the house who loved Strawberry Pink Body Scrub as much as me!!'

    I am sure you pink body scrub fans both had plenty to talk about!

    ReplyDelete

    Wilko4 July 2009 at 08:55
    Well....they are now divorced too and both my sons dislike her intensely....!

    Oooops..Strawberry Pink Body Scrub......actually, just realised how that could come across....all very innocent l assure you....l'd left by the sofa and......oh never mind...blushing now. ;)

    ReplyDelete

    aaronng884 July 2009 at 11:02
    'His comments are so caustic, they could clean metal.' kekekek~ loved it =p

    eeee u ar.. so envious of u lar. got personal chef who bakes for u. i also one, send them over!! hahahah

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous4 July 2009 at 16:09
    Re. your comment about what happens if you change your mind later-

    You are only giving yourself the illusion of choice by delaying- possibly to avoid the choice itself- because by a delay, you remove the opportunity to build a real relationship, which takes time and good will on both sides. The longer the 'imaginary' relationship persists, the harder it will be to overcome it.

    In my case, it has been about 15 years since I came out to my family. At this point, for example, my mother- a deeply "Christian," originally homophobic, and sexphobic person- is able to ask me on a light level about my relationships, have a conversation about my life without making any negative comments about homosexuality at all, and has local gay neighbors who are on a visiting basis. I wouldn't have thought it when I told her (she cried), and maybe I was luckier than most who have such parents (plus I waited until I was already moved out and independent).

    I found out later that my brother and his wife went on their honeymoon with a gay couple...!

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bkkdreamer4 July 2009 at 21:58
    Wilko: How old is your other boy? Do you see them much?

    You sound lucky. If I get to 80 and have never had a family, it shall be my biggest regret.

    Dear Aaron: I would like to keep him a while longer, if you don't mind. I hope you feed yourself properly over there.


    Anon: Forgive me for saying so, but your upbringing does not necessarily represent the norm.

    'The longer the ''imaginary'' relationship persists, the harder it will be to overcome it.

    Sounds like you are trying to wean someone off smoking. You think too much.


    'I found out later that my brother and his wife went on their honeymoon with a gay couple...!'

    Shock, horror!

    ReplyDelete

    Wilko5 July 2009 at 00:25
    Thank you BD, they are both good lads so l do feel lucky.

    My oldest is 23 but lives with his girlfriend about 50 miles from here. He rings every Sunday morning and comes home once a month for a week.

    The youngest, 22, is still at home, it's cheaper! and he's my PC and Wii expert....Xbox....PS3...so he's not allowed to leave!!!!!
    We have our ups and downs of course.

    l hope you have your family you long for. lt's a hard job bringing up kids, especially on your own as l have done but it's the one job l love and would never give up on!

    ReplyDelete

    Doug5 July 2009 at 03:09
    Anon explained precisely my reason for coming out to my parents. He said:

    "Without this very important knowledge of who you are, the entire family is dealing with you on false pretenses (and you with them). There may be surface calm and serenity, but it is dishonest and not real; i.e., it is not the real you who is a member of the family but a facade."

    I thought my parents deserved to know who I really am, and not be misled by a facade.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer5 July 2009 at 07:01
    Wilko: Every home needs a PC expert. My one is Maiyuu, though these days he is reluctant to get involved. 'Just be patient - it is just taking a rest,' he says whenever my computer refuses to perform properly.

    Your elder one sounds like a good lad too, coming home to spend a week with you every month.

    His girlfriend has to share him with another girl...his Mum!

    Doug: I hope it worked for them as much as it worked for you.

    Many gays seem determined to foist the news on their parents no matter what.

    They want to meet their own needs. What their parents think, or their siblings, friends, employees and so on, counts for much less.

    These things should be negotiated and managed over time, if they are raised at all.

    For example, as an uncle I would want to consult my brothers and sisters about what approach they would like me to take, as they have children who one day will be old enough to understand what it means.

    All this stuff about wanting people to see the real you sounds like self-justification after the event. It is not just about you, as it something which affects everyone. So, are up to it - and more importantly, are they?

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevo335 July 2009 at 07:35
    I cam out by accident to my parents-
    I never intended to tell them, really. My friend decided i was too depressed living the way i was, with all that pressure on me. so, he told my parents for me, which started a very painful process. My Mom was quite accepting, but my Dad was far from it. He sat me down and lectured me for hours, after which i tried to run away from home because it was clear he hated me. At the time i was also highly suicidal, if it wasn't for my best friends, I'm certain i wouldn't have made it.
    Months later my Dad sat me down again(we hadnt spoken a word to each other since the last incident) and he started crying and apologising for what he'd done. after that everything was ok. I can still see in his eyes that he wishes i wasnt gay, but he knows it's not going to change. He loves my BF as if he was his second son and he's happy that i am finally happy.
    So all in all, even though coming out can be intensely painful, it can turn out to be a very positive thing.

    ReplyDelete

    Aaron C. Yeagle5 July 2009 at 10:00
    Somehow I missed the part about coming "out" ... hmmm.... especially as I have strong ideas on the matter.

    Here is my stance - As a gay man / lesbian ... it is YOUR responsibility to come out and live out. Not only for your own well-being but the well-being of future generations of GLBT people.

    The reason so many parents (and cultures and societies) still (amazingly) have problems with GLBT people is BECAUSE we are ALL NOT OUT.

    Fear is based in ignorance. If you do not come out to family and friends how are they to learn the whole of who you are? Their acceptance of you ripples throughout their circle of friends too. And that benefits everyone.

    We ALL want to be loved ... especially by our families. And we fear because we do not know or are not certain how they will react. So ... come out and find out.

    There is always someone who will love the whole of you, including your gayness, in the world. There is ALWAYS someone out there who has gone through it too, who will give you their shoulder, lend a hand, open a door.

    NEVER despair. ALWAYS hope. GIVE love.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.