Monday 2 November 2009

Keeping the riff-raff out, gay search by Thai cop


Tiring of youngsters on motorbikes and taxis passing through this condo on the way to the main road, the owners of this complex have now erected large metal green doors at one entrance.

After 11pm, they close the doors to stop vehicles getting through, so that residents inside are no longer bothered by the noise, and can sleep in peace.

The security guard abandons his post at that end, and goes to sit at the other entrance, manned by a wooden barrier. He keeps that closed, too.

If residents return after 11pm they must open the doors to let themselves in, which is fine if you are on foot, but less convenient if you have to get out of your car.

Still, it’s better than letting the public in.

During the day, non-residents are also being fined if they want to pass through the condo precinct – 10 baht for motorcycles, 15 baht for cars.

-
Maiyuu met a policeman as he left the condo on foot. He was carrying a tap fitting, which he had just bought at Klong Thom market, when a passing policeman stopped him.

The policeman asked him where he was going. ‘I am walking out to the main road to get a taxi, to see a friend,’ Maiyuu replied.

It was after midnight, and Maiyuu was in a residential area, so perhaps the policeman was suspicious.

Or maybe he just wanted to subject Maiyuu to a gay body search, which Thai police have down to a fine art.

I have seen police search young motorcyclists by the side of the road. They don’t just pat their pockets, or frisk them, but rub, as if trying to get themselves aroused.

‘Lift your shirt,’ the policeman ordered.

Maiyuu did as he was told.

Rub, rub over his chest.

Then he started on his pants.

Feel, feel.

The policeman, whom Maiyuu reckons was drunk, then asked to see his identity card.

Maiyuu handed it over, but still the policeman would not let him go.

‘You should come with me for a urine test,’ said the cop.

‘I am not going anywhere for a test, as I don’t drink and am going about my business. What is it that you want...money?’ asked Maiyuu.

‘I don’t want money,’ said the policeman, who was wearing uniform.

‘So why don’t you let me go?’

The policeman asked to search Maiyuu a second time. He refused, and walked away.

‘Hey...I said stop!’ barked the cop.

‘I am not stopping. If you want to take my ID card, then take it. But I am carrying on,’ said Maiyuu, who left, leaving the policeman standing there with his card.

At home, Maiyuu was angry.

‘He talked about calling a police friend to help him search me,’ he complained.

The encounter left my boyfriend feeling nervous. He peered out the window of our condo, and made several trips down to the forecourt to see if the policeman would come back.

‘The card is just about to expire, so I will make a new one,’ he said.

‘I might also ask the motorcycle taxi guys if they know the policeman, or where he works,’ he said.

Police here are a menace, because some act as if they are a law unto themselves.

Maiyuu has decided against visiting the police station to lodge a complaint, as that could provoke them.

He was needlessly harassed, lost his card, and subjected to a gay body search. But that was minor, by the standards of some Thai police.

Next time he could lose money or worse, so why tempt fate.

1 comment:

  1. 8 comments:

    Was Once1 November 2009 at 21:54
    It must make you feel nervous for his safety, is all I can say.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous2 November 2009 at 00:08
    Oh, how awful. Poor Maiyuu. He must feel terrible.
    Wilko x :(

    ReplyDelete

    teacherbob22 November 2009 at 00:14
    this is a sad story for sure with the only up that he wasnt hurt. all the press about thailand and farangs yet its really the thais who suffer the most yeah?

    ReplyDelete

    Asia in Australia2 November 2009 at 10:21
    I saw a gay search at Khao San last night. the man only searched young boys and touched their crotch....me and me friend noticed it independently and were jealous of him...

    ReplyDelete

    oneditorial2 November 2009 at 14:41
    I wonder what you would do if you were subject to a body search by a Thai policeman. I am anxious to know the answer! ^___^

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer2 November 2009 at 16:49
    Was Once, Wilko: I do worry about him, mainly because he has a sharp tongue. It could get him into trouble if he is not careful.

    BB: The BF suggests body searches may have become more intimate because police are looking for drugs. Young ones find inventive places to hide them these days.

    Oneditorial: If I enjoyed it, I might ask the cop if I could unbutton his tunic for him. Then we could feel each other up as we stood by the side of the road.

    ReplyDelete

    oneditorial3 November 2009 at 05:52
    If that happened, it would be a Thai version of Brokeback Mountain, which is called "Brokeback Bangkok", wouldn't it? ^___^

    ReplyDelete

    Kevo334 November 2009 at 18:28
    EWWW

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.