Tuesday 29 December 2009

Indian temple curry adventure

Wat Kaek
Maiyuu is getting over from his cold bug quickly. He has mounted a recovery in just 24 hours, half the time it took me.

That is at it should be, however, as Maiyuu is 10 years younger.

This morning he took a long bicycle ride to Wat Kaek (Wat Prasri Maha Umathewee) in Silom.

That’s the little temple squeezed between high-rises in the central business district.

The temple, forever enveloped in a cloud of incense vapour, is a favourite with Indians and tourists.

I saw it last a few weeks ago.

My friend farang C and I were paying a visit to that wholesale computer barn, Pantip Plaza, which is nearby.

After looking at computers and cameras at Pantip Plaza, we caught a skytrain home from Surasak station, next to the temple. It was covered in incense that day, too, so much so that I could barely make out the tourists milling about outside.

But enough of the travelogue, and back to Maiyuu.

My boyfriend, a practical type, cycled to the temple not to make merit, pray, mix shoulders with wealthy Indians – but to fill our stomachs.

He has found a trader at the temple who sells tasty khao mok gai, a favourite chicken dish of ours.

‘I bought khao mok gai from the temple the other day, and you said you liked it, so today I will bike there again,’ Maiyuu said before heading out the door.

He was carrying his bicycle pump, and a small bag with a carry string which holds his wallet.

‘If you are not feeling well, you don’t need to go that far,’ I said.

I do remember the khao mok gai meal from last week, but didn't realise he had travelled as far as the temple to get it.

Maiyuu shrugged, and headed for the lift.

I sounded half-hearted at best, for I do truly like the spicy chicken, curry rice and sweet cucumber which Maiyuu buys from those parts.

Half an hour later, he was home. 

Last night, even s his energy sagged, he whipped up a clear soup with tofu and mince balls, and a beef vegetable dish.

PS: May I wish readers a Happy New Year. Normal service will resume just as soon as I feel better.

1 comment:

  1. hansey2129 December 2009 at 05:05
    oh how sweet Maiyuu is to get that far to get food that you want, and its so sweet of you to share the recipe of that spicy chicken in rice...i really love to cook...i want my brother to have a taste it really soon...

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer29 December 2009 at 05:23
    Thank you, Hansey. He was sweet going that far, you are right. I hope your brother enjoys your cooking. It is so much more enjoyable to cook for someone than have to cook for yourself alone. The food tastes better!

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous29 December 2009 at 10:15
    Bless him. That's true love.
    But l'm not sure l could eat curry for breakfast!.....l had Cheerios. lol
    Wilko xx

    ReplyDelete

    aaronng8829 December 2009 at 21:03
    Happy Happy new year!! =)

    Hope 2010 will b filled wit even more great food serve by Maiyuu. ANd may the year bring much joy & love =p

    *hugs!*

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous31 December 2009 at 01:02
    Happy, Peaceful and Fulfilling 2010 to my dear friends BD and Maiyuu and to all readers of this blog. Happy New Year. :D
    Wilkoxx aka Lady P

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.