Thursday 11 December 2008

Knock yourself out (2, final)


Thank you for the kind responses. As readers, you are sweet to me, and I am moved by your loyalty.

I have been thinking about the trolls at the thaivisa board. I suspect some of them prefer a sleazy perspective on Thai life - something more in keeping with their own existence here, perhaps.

If nightlife sleaze is what people are after, then as a few readers have remarked, there is no shortage of stuff on the internet. It's a well-trodden path.

Harder to find is writing which tries to get across what a slice of ordinary Thai life (admittedly urban-centric, as it is set in Bangkok rather than the provinces) can be like.

In the West, I wouldn't bother describing a visit to the local pier...who cares? Yet here such mundane tales can be interesting, because of what they tell us about Thais.

I think about those Thais fishing the other night...tiny guys pulling with all their might on flimsy lines, racing up and down the side of the pier, trying to haul in those big, ugly black fish.

Who wouldn't want to write about it, or share those stories with friends?

Who would want to eat those fish? Someone does. They may not be to everyone's taste, but they are bound to have a few fans.

Regarding politics...one reader would rather I leave that job to the Economist. Another urges me to leave the big picture stuff to Google, and focus on day-to-day stuff in the blog.

I like the Economist, and agree it does a fine job. However, the political events of the last few months have been exceptional. I wanted to have a say on them too, partly to let off steam, but also to get across what I think.

While most foreigners are probably against the PAD protesters, many urban, middle-class Thais back them. For that reason alone, it was worth exploring.

Regarding Thai stars...I realise tales about the exploits of Thai celebrities do not enthrall everyone.

When I started writing the blog, few fans were writing in English about Thai entertainers. Yet the boyfriend and I were interested in some of them, and I thought their stories were worth sharing.

These days, blogs about Thai stars are more common, and attract a big following.

Wise Kwai's Thai film blog is a wealth of informative material about Thai film; my 'heart sister' Lyn, of Lyn's lakorns blog, tells us possibly more than we ever wanted to know about Thai soap operas.

Hardly any foreigners bother to trawl the Thai-language media every day for interesting stories. I do it, because I would run out of things to write about otherwise.

Above all, a blog is interesting not just because of its content, but its readers. It has only taken me 2.5 years of writing to figure that out.

I hope you continue posting comments, and I will continue looking for ways in which readers can 'interact' with this blog. Please excuse the jargon. Although the words look off-putting, they do express real things.

After reading them for months, I know more about what bloggers Kawadjan, Bangkok Bitch, Lyn, and the hard-working scribes at dirtilaundry (for example) think about life.

Some readers have their own distinct voice when they leave comments. They are funny, or long-winded, or bitchy, or sad about their own Thai lives or memories here.

Some have been here a while, while others appear to have left, because they don't comment any more. However, I do remember some of the names, and the responses they liked to leave.

The luckiest bloggers in the world are those who get plenty of reader reaction. Without it, writing for an audience is hardly worthwhile.

Please keep the comments coming.

14 comments:

  1. hey there. Just to let you know, I'm here all the time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont have a blog but really enjoy reading yours every day!

    Thank you so much for sharing your BKK perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. everything i know about thai stars i learned from you. and you cover just the right topics and show the right pictures to keep me interested. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading your blog as my habit everyday.
    Lot on your new article for everday.
    Thanks for your sharing.
    I had learned a lot from you.

    Lawrence,Malaysia,Johor Bahru.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am HK Chinese boy and have been reading your blog for a few months. I am also a frequent visitor to Bangkok and always though the local farangs there were a sad and desperate group and only living in Bangkok for the easy sex and sleazy lifestyle.

    After reading your stories and thoughts on daily life and the simplest of thing such as going to the pier and mums shop it is re-freshing to know there are nice decent expats living in Bangkok.

    Please do not let any nasty bitchy, comments put you off blogging and as you rightly pointed out if people want the sex and sleaze they can look elsewhere on the internet.

    Keep on blogging and be yourself!

    Ommi - HK

    ReplyDelete
  6. M,
    You're cute!

    I'm your "heart sister".
    Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't listen to the critics, just be yourself and write about what interests you. That's what I come here for :) This is a blog, not a public service: they should be more grateful!

    BTW, I'm not Thai, but a young half-Japanese Londoner who is approached by older white men from time to time. I came here for the pics of cute boys but stayed for to listen to your stories, and like Ommi in Hong Kong, I have had my mind changed about the farangs after reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Another urges me to leave the big picture stuff to Google, and focus on day-to-day stuff in the blog."

    Pardon me for my incompetency to express myself clear enough previously. I wrote the above from a reader's perspective. I was suggesting that, reader like my poor self, prefer Google to a blog for an event of that scale. Having said that, a blog is like you own backyard. Don't let people dictates what you should or what you should not.

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.

    -- Brendan Behan

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're doing a wonderful job. Keep it up.

    I'm Thai and just move back to Thailand a few months ago. I found your blogs and others like yours fascinating. I'm rediscovering my country through the eyes of foreigners!!

    Some people just don't get what blogs are all about. Don't be bothered by them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, I am still reading and keeping up...although I may not comment...its a droll to type the word verfication...but your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey love readin your blog too..i enjoy reading it everyday..there's always something interesting to read..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like there is an outpouring of reassurance. :) Just to share, I do enjoy reading your blog about mundane things. It is nicely written though I tend to skip the star gossip - more interested in the different people you meet.

    ryan

    ReplyDelete
  14. HEY DREAMER I have been reading your blog daily for years and it just keeps getting better and better as some one who makes their life in the BKK MINDSCAPE i look forward to cataching up with you and yours and seeing how close they are to me & mine.Its rare to have a gay perpsective on thai pop culture so "don't think too much" and leave the sexpats to fight amongst themselves

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.