Sunday 31 January 2010

Boyfriend asks for gift, Ball asks for nothing

‘I shall prepare myself for the day when you turn up with Ball and say he’s moving in, and that I have to move out,’ said Maiyuu, after I told him the story of Ball.

I thought I had better come clean, as my friendship with Ball has been preying on my mind.

Maiyuu had noticed changes in my behaviour, which meant he already suspected I had met someone new. I might as well tell him.

‘When he’s sober, he’s straight. When he’s drunk, he likes men,’ I said, while adding that Ball lost his Dad a few years ago, and dislikes his mother's current partner, Lort.

‘He lives with his girlfriend, but is sick of her. He likes being with me because we can talk – though I also hug him, massage him, and care for him,’ I said.

Maiyuu listened patiently. He did not get angry: ‘I don’t have the right,’ he said. ‘It’s your life.’

‘But if you did feel you had the right to comment, what would you say?’ I asked.

‘You hardly buy me any gifts to show your love for me. If I found out that you had been buying things for someone you barely know, how do you think I’d feel?’

‘I have hardly bought him a thing. Lotion for his scalp...that’s it,’ I said, while declining to add that I had been thinking of buying him clothes as well. Naughty farang, park that thought!

I proposed a solution. ‘I might have to stop accompanying him back to his place. That’s when I start caring for him, as I can’t do it at the ya dong stand...it’s too public,’ I said.

What a pragmatic fellow I am. I should have added: ‘I might have to insist on my right to walk home unaccompanied as well, as we also like to cuddle and hug on the vacant lot between his place and mine.’

I left that bit out. One can be too generous with information.

Maiyuu’s spirits cheered. By late yesterday – when I took myself off to the ya dong stand again – he was back to normal.

Earlier, Maiyuu told me about some of the items he would like me to buy for him, if I wanted to show him my love.

‘Some nights I go to bed, and wonder if you have bought me something – just once – to show you care. But when I wake in the morning, it is never there,’ he said.

'You have my ATM card...in theory, you can buy whatever you want,’ I said. 'I have never bought gifts for people on a whim, as I don’t know what people like,’ I added.

‘A food blender like the one Martha Stewart uses on her show,’ he suggested.
-
At the ya dong stand, carer R was sitting alone, waiting for me.

I had called in advance to say I was coming. His other customers had gone home for the night.

No one else was around but for the rubbish collectors. As is the Thai custom, we offered them a nip of ya dong to take the edge off their labours.

At my invitation, Carer R talked about his hair. He ties it in a knot on top of his head, like a spouting water fountain.

After 10 minutes, he releases the rubber band. It stays upright on his head, which he likes, because he gets sick of it sweeping from the front of his eyes.

‘I need a haircut. This is the longest it has ever been. Before, I wore it ultra-short,’ he said.

R showed me pictures of himself and his wife in his cellphone, taken about 18 months ago while he was in his past job as a salesman in a Timberlands store. In some pictures, he wore a hat and a scarf.

Even with short hair, he is strikingly handsome, I thought.

Half an hour later, Ball’s Mum emerged, followed by her partner, Lort.

‘I don’t want him drinking too much, as he has to work,’ said Mum, referring to Ball.

‘He was here briefly, but had to go back to work for a meeting,’ said carer R.

Lort, who fancies himself as a man of influence, boasted about his generosity to the common folk in the area.

'If I meet someone who asks me for money, I give him whatever he needs, even if I end up without cash for a meal or transport home,’ he said.

Mum, who was listening, agreed.

‘He likes to visit his problems upon others,’ she said, unimpressed. ‘When Lort gets home he’ll ask me for the money which he just gave someone else.’

Mum and Lort finished their ya dong and went off to get something to eat. Half an hour later, Master Ball himself arrived.

‘They asked staff  to attend a meeting - and after that ended, made us clean the windows!’ said Ball, looking disgusted.

He has started working for a coffee shop owned by a supermarket chain.

Ball sat next to me. I touched him. He immediately reached out for my hand, and held it briefly in his.

We talked about Ball’s flaky scalp, and a sinus problem which affects his breathing.

Ball, who suspects both conditions are caused by an allergy, sounds like a child with a chronically blocked nose. He coughs constantly.

'At work, the boss asks me to wear a facemask when I serve customers, as he worries that I have that new strain of flu!’ he said.

The final conversation of the evening concerned Ball’s dress.

He was wearing boxers, which he borrowed from his brother.

‘Would you like some more of your own?’ I offered.

I asked what type he likes. White briefs, he said, as long as they are ‘manly’ – they can't rise too high on the waist.

Carer R needed bed, so we left. Ball took me across the vacant lot towards home.

He found it hard to walk straight, as he had put in an hour's solid drinking. The path is treacherous, littered with broken stones and stray dogs.

Ball stopped for a wee, and waited for me to do up his pants.

We passed a flat-bed truck in the middle of the lot. Ball flipped down the back so we could sit on it.

‘Why don’t you like women?’ he asked. ‘That kid you keep at home – is he a good person?’

‘I used to like women, but changed my mind. My boyfriend is not a kid – he’s 31,’ I said.

Ball does not believe me when I tell him that Maiyuu and I share little intimacy with each other.

He moved on to the subject of money.

‘I am not like other Thais. Have I ever asked you to support me financially?’ Ball asked.

I talk in English occasionally, when I want to emphasise something. ‘Good boy!’

He mimics me.

‘Good boy!’

We said goodbye. I turned to watch my friend -  still in his work uniform of serious white shirt and black slacks - stagger home across the vacant section.

If I truly love my boyfriend, I might have to stop myself showing so much interest in my new friend. I don’t want any of us to get hurt.

2 comments:

  1. 8 comments:

    hendrik31 January 2010 at 00:20
    I truly appreciate your honesty in your writing up; your 'come clean' with your boyfriend, your adventures will Ball, your expectations and your worries.
    Is there a few days delay in your adventures or is all this 'real time'?

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous31 January 2010 at 01:09
    Get Maiyuu the blender.
    1. It will lessen his unease.
    2. You will also benefit from him having better kitchen tools.
    3. Make him confirm the blender model first (you don't want to be 'blamed' for not caring enough to get it right the first time.

    Silicon Farang

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer31 January 2010 at 06:42
    Hendrik: Thank you. Most of it is real time, though occasionally I will wait a day before posting a story if I don't have enough material.

    Silicon farang: That make of blender costs at least B10,000! I am not sure I want to pay that much to appease my BF for my recent naughtiness. I might start with small purchases first.

    ReplyDelete

    Glenn31 January 2010 at 07:37
    As some one who has never really understood how your relationship with Maiyuu could be classified as boyfriends since it totally seems to lack any physical affection, I can't say that I am surprised your need for affection has taken you elsewhere. It seems a little bit passive-aggressive for him to be requiring gifts to show your love. Do you not pay the rent that puts a roof over his head? And food in his stomach? And the bicycle he uses to get around? Now he wants a Bt10,000 blender too? Maybe a smaller token is more sensible if he requires it.

    And of course Ball is full of issues to be solved. Not least of which is the alcoholism. But you seem like the sort of person who feels a need to be needed. That ultimately could unfortunately lead to the problems never really being solved.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous31 January 2010 at 10:37
    Martha Stewart uses a KitchenAid blender.. now on sale at Macy's for $119.00 .. but maybe Maiyuu is thinking of a food processor, which is different, and more costly, but also on sale at Macy's for $ 199.00. If in fact you don't have sexual relations with Maiyuu, why are you pursuing another guy who also isn't interested in having sex with men. Talk about diminishing returns on your investment of time and affection. When and where do you get off ? Can't you find someone who is affectionate, who will cook and clean and also likes to cuddle and fuck ? You may be the only Farang in Thailand that can't get the homosexual boy culture to work for you. You are in enough emotional and domestic quicksand, so I don't want to go heavy on the outsider criticism.. but there are aspects of your life that border on the pathetic. Start by seeing if you can resist not buying Ball any underwear.. cause if you buy them you'll probably want to put them on him. Or have him model them for you. If you can't resist that simple temptation, then you're doomed. I wish you strength and wisdom. JK

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bkkdreamer31 January 2010 at 21:23
    Glenn:

    You said, 'But you seem like the sort of person who feels a need to be needed.'

    Really? You think that's why I am interested in Ball?

    JK:

    You said, 'If in fact you don't have sexual relations with Maiyuu, why are you pursuing another guy who also isn't interested in having sex with men?'

    I am not sure it's sex that I want. I rarely want it, in fact. I want to care, because it feels good. I don't know what else I want, but I doubt it's sex.

    You also said, 'You may be the only farang in Thailand that can't get the homosexual boy culture to work for you.'

    And is that a bad thing? That gay boy culture is tailor-made for tourists, not long-term residents who desire stability in their lives.

    A real relationship, even if it lacks affection from one side or the other occasionally, is still about understanding. Maiyuu understands me well, and to some extrent, I understand him (he reckons that really, I don't). Try picking that up at a gay bar.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer31 January 2010 at 21:25
    By the way, JK...thanks for the advice about the KitchenAid blenders. I have taken a look.

    Maiyuu wants a food blender, or a processor. I'm going to Carrefour today to take a look.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous31 January 2010 at 22:01
    a food processor is more applicable to the kind of cooking maiyuu prefers. it does everything from chop onions, to making bread and pastry dough. It's more expensive than a blender.. but every good cook loves them. JK

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.