Tuesday 2 February 2010

Generous to a fault, ragged towels, cradle-snatcher


Maiyuu is the proud owner of a Moulinex food processor...actually, a mini-chopper, rather than a fully-fledged processor with many different blades.

He bought it himself, but I am paying for it. I suggested he buy the next model up, as his looks too small, but the next model up is twice the price...about B4,000. ‘I am too mean to want to part with B4,000,’ he said.

-
‘Why do you like spending so much money on other people?’ asked carer R.

Ya dong is a social drink. Customers take it in turns to buy a bottle. If I sit down, someone will present me with a shot glass, filled from his bottle. When he has finished, I will buy one.

That sounds egalitarian, but in fact it isn’t. Thais tend to buy half-bottles, while I buy full ones, as I have hangers-on.

When young Ball joins the table, he drinks from my bottle. Carer R drinks from my bottle, too. So I end up paying more than most.

Last night I contributed B400 to carer Ball’s total takings of B700.

As he was counting the notes in his hand, carer R suggested I might like to be less generous. Thais whom I barely know are taking advantage of my generosity.

I agree. From now on, I shall call in advance. If Ball is not there, or carer R has company, I won’t bother turning up.

-
‘Don’t worry I won’t starve,’ said Ball.

He lost B400 from his pay packet while visiting carer R’s stand the other night.

Like me, Ball has responsibilities. He gives a share of his pay to his Mum. He also gives a share to his girlfriend, who is helping pay for her brother's board at a university hostel in Bangkok.

After dividing up his pay, Ball had just B400 left for himself – and now he’s lost it.

His Mum is angry. ‘Mum can’t understand how I lost it. She said I needn’t bother asking her for food money this week.’

‘How will you survive?’ I asked.

‘I will come home at meal-times, and fry an egg. I will have egg on rice, which fills me up,’ he said.

I contemplated helping my young friend, who I noticed had turned up with nasty red gashes on his arms and legs.

The night before, he argued with his girlfriend. To make a point, he picked up a cutter and started slashing away at his limbs.

‘Are you satisfied yet?’ he asked her.

If I met Ball half-way – say, by giving him, or his mother B200 – then he won’t have to suffer as much over the next few days. He might be able to buy himself some decent food to eat, rather than relying on fried eggs.

‘I don’t want your money, and have never asked,’ said Ball.

‘I know you haven’t asked, but sometimes I might just want to give,’ I said.

However, I am not sure if it’s a good thing. If I pay him money, I am underwriting poor decisions made by others in the household.

Why is he paying for the board of his girlfriend’s brother? And what about idle Lort, his mother's partner? He's a taxi-driver who rarely goes out to work, but sends poor Ball out to earn a wage instead.

-
I had bought Ball a pair of jeans and a belt, which made little impact. ‘The jeans bulge in the groin area. They are too big,’ he told me.

‘I bought the size which your Mum recommended. Try washing them first,’ I said.

But if the jeans failed to make a difference, a ragged towel I presented him the other night has proved a much bigger hit.

I had turned up at carer R’s ya dong stand after work. Ball, who was there, watched as a pulled a towel from my work bag and mopped the sweat off my face.

The towel is barely large enough to wrap around my waist, but I keep it in my bag in case I need to take a shower at work, or to keep myself dry when I venture into Bangkok’s fetid heat.

‘Can I have that towel?’ Ball asked apologetically.

Images of Winnie the Pooh decorate it. I handed it over.

At home later that night, Ball’s elder brother and girlfriend wanted to know where he found the towel. As soon as they saw him wearing it on his waist, they asked about it.

‘They are envious,’ Ball told me.

I didn’t understand this comment. Carer R explained it to me later, out of Ball’s earshot.

‘He comes from a large family. There are not enough towels to go around. They have to share, but now Ball has a towel of his own.’

-
Ball is working on trial at a coffee shop owned by a supermarket chain, but reckons he may soon be out of a job.

His boss has told Ball that he probably won’t pass the test.

‘I cough all the time. They worry that I will pass on my bug to customers,’ he said.

Ball is unwell, with a nagging cough which sounds allergy-related. A doctor told him he has an infection in his throat, but it sounds to me like it has spread to his chest as well.

He is seized by coughing fits, which are strong enough to wake him from his sleep.

‘I might have to go back to working as a security guard,’ he said.

Ball’s first job, after he left school, was working as a security guard at my condo.

Many youngsters from the slums where Ball lives apply for work as guards at the condo, as it is so close to their home.

Often, they are there just a matter of weeks before they leave again.

Ball is already unwell. I don't want him to end up at my condo as a guard; it would look too sad.

-
Ball asked me to massage his arms and legs, which looked angry and red where he had slashed himself.

Miraculously, I was carrying a pottle of lemongrass-scented balm for easing muscle pains.

I rubbed balm on his arms and legs, and went to work. Within half an hour, he had fallen asleep in his chair.

Carer R tried to lift his body to get him home, but he fell into my lap instead.

I scooped up his legs, and cradled Ball in my arms, where he stayed for the next hour. Carer R chatted away aimlessly, and when he tired of that, played with a street dog which sleeps under his table.

Ball was snoring soundly, but I could barely move, and my legs were starting to ache.

Finally, I decided it was time for bed, as I could stand his weight no more.

Carer R helped me as we tried to get Ball to his feet.

I carried his leaden weight down the alley towards home, but had to stop every 10m to rest.

Mercifully, Ball woke. Carer R offered him a piggy-back ride home, but he managed to get there on foot himself.

His girlfriend Jay met him at the door, and took him to bed.

Earlier, as we sat at the ya dong stand, Ball told me that I was being too kind. He was starting to feel embarrassed.

I was massaging Ball’s back. Carer R told him not to worry.

‘The farang wants to give. You don’t have to ask, and you shouldn’t think he is this or that way inclined if he is helping you.

‘He’s doing it because he wants to, and you shouldn’t feel bad about it,’ he said.

2 comments:

  1. 9 comments:

    Blueman1 February 2010 at 23:02
    About the cough, aside from some serious infection that sounds like the bug that has been in the states for the past couple years.
    It hits hard and the coughing is intense, but not much else. Everyone gets it, and it lasts for weeks, then about a year later it comes back not so strong. Been on both coasts on the US and it has been prevelant this time. Sounds like the same thing. The hacking wake up cough.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous2 February 2010 at 05:01
    Home remedy for cough ( not a joke ). Ask him to heat up a can of coke with slices of ginger until it boils. Drink the "ginger flavoured coke" hot. It helps to alleviate coughing.

    Hark

    ReplyDelete

    Brad.2 February 2010 at 06:39
    One of the best things that you could do for Ball would be to get him to a good doctor to find out what his coughing is about. I can see where his job would be in jeopardy when he's constantly coughing around the food.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous2 February 2010 at 07:05
    take Ball to a doctor.. he could have tuberbulosis. The self-mutilation thing is crazy.. is that anyways normal for Thai culture ? It must be heart-breaking to see people you care for living hand to mouth day after day. However I notice that regardless of circumstances, nothing seems to keep some of the members of your group of friends from their nightly drinking. I think buying Maiyuu what he wanted was a generous gesture.. and no doubt you'll get rewarded at mealtimes. JK

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer2 February 2010 at 18:32
    Blueman, Hark: Thank you. I hope it's not the American strain of cough. It sounds hard to shake.

    Brad: I asked him if I could take him to the doctor. He is still taking medicine he obtained from the doctor about a month ago for the same ailment, though he admits he hardly ever takes the pills according to the directions.

    I asked him to finish the course - even taking pills twice rather than three times a day as directed is better than nothing at all, I said.

    If they still fail to work, Ball has agreed to let me take him to the doctor.

    JK: I have seen the self-mutilitation, self-harm thing happen many times. Thais do it when they feel as if they have their backs to the wall; it's not always to spite someone.

    Maiyuu bangs his head against the wall, or thumps himself in the chest. It usually happens after an argument. I can't do much about it but have to let the moment pass.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bkkdreamer2 February 2010 at 18:36
    JK: Last night, Ball decided not to drink ya dong. A relative of his was visiting and had asked him to lay off the stuff; she remembers that Ball's birth father died of an alcoholism-related illness when he was just 43, and doesn't want Ball to end up the same way.

    Ball's Mum told me that, as he had no work to do, he had spent the day at home, and had drunk mostly beer instead, which in her eyes was a more acceptable substitute. However, he took just one meal yesterday - a fried egg on rice - and when I saw him last night claimed he was not hungry.

    Today his Mum is taking him to a condo nearby for a job interview as a security guard. I will ask to see him some time today, as I would like to give him some money for food.

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous2 February 2010 at 21:13
    it's my understanding that ya dong is a home brew.. made with whiskey, citrus, spices and anything else the maker selects. Is it safe ? is it sanitary? can it contain and transmit viral or bacterial agents ? I think Ball's continuing cough is related to his failure to take his medication. But other factors might be a part of his illness too. It's easy to guess that his diet isn't the best.. and maybe he's not getting enough rest to get enable himself to get well. JK

    ReplyDelete

    Orn3 February 2010 at 01:51
    I think Ball needs to see a psychologist too. I find the part about him cutting himself to prove a point a litte bit disturbing.

    It's not normal..

    He's still so young, his mother should care more for him or something!! His family is starting to make me angry lol

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer3 February 2010 at 07:50
    JK: Yes...inadequate diet, lack of rest, and dusty home surroundings might all play a part.

    Orn: It's not normal, but I have seen it happen often enough...

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.