Monday 29 March 2010

Anniversary plans, wife plays football, Mum-in-law cheers eldest son


‘In August, I will have been living here 10 years,’ I told boyfriend Maiyuu.

‘And in October, we have another anniversary - you and I will have been together 10 years,’ I told him.

I met Maiyuu only weeks after I moved to the Land of Smiles.

‘What shall we do to celebrate? As it happens, I am going to see my family overseas about the same time,’ I said.

‘Never mind. So, 10 years ago, we married. To mark the anniversary, shall we get a divorce?’ he asked jokingly.

‘No, I think we should stay together a while yet,’ I replied.

Where else would I find such a good cook? He’s the keeper of my stomach flame, if there’s such a thing.

-
‘Oops – your wife is calling!’ said Maiyuu.

He was about to enter my bedroom early last evening when he heard my phone go. He assumed it was Ball.

Actually, it was Ball’s Mum. She invited me to drop in before I left for work.

‘Ball is playing football nearby. He might want a beer when he is finished,’ she suggested.

‘Okay, I’ll be right there,’ I said.

I turned to Maiyuu, who was listening.

‘It’s not my wife – it’s his Mum,’ I joked.

I had just finished on the phone. Or maybe I had cupped my hand over the phone while Ball’s Mum was still on the line, I can’t remember.

In any event, Maiyuu and I know not to get too serious about such things.

I like to take a wife in addition to Maiyuu. In my eyes, Ball's a surrogate son. But for Maiyuu's he's my second wife, even if our relationship is innocent.

That makes Ball’s mother my mother-in-law...and appropriately enough, when I am with her, I call her Mae (the Thai word for Mum).

‘Mae!’ I said last night, as I turned up at her place about 11.30pm.

I had just finished work, and was on my way home. I didn’t make it to her place earlier that evening, as I was already running late for work.

'I couldn't get here,' I said, while declining to say that my real reason for the no-show was that I thought Ball had already imbibed enough.

I had seen him earlier in the day, when we polished off four bottles of the brown stuff.

A few hours after I left, Ball went out to play football with his friends.

Last night, before I turned up at his place, I called him from the office.

'I didn’t fall or get any new ankle injuries,' he told me, after I asked.

That means that this week I shall have no new scabs to pick.

Damn. I can’t pursue my lustful ways with his spindly legs!

By the time I called in to see them last night, Ball had gone to bed.

He had only just mounted the stairs to his room, after waiting for hours for me to turn up. But I couldn’t get there in time, so that was that.

Mum was drinking beer with two of her women friends, one of whom, Noi, works with Ball in Silom.

‘He sits there all day, bored and lonely, as he has no one there for company,’ said Noi.

‘However, the cleaning and security staff are amazed at how beautiful he looks. One woman asked if he was gay, he has such a soft face,’ she said.

I chatted to Mum. She pulled down pictures and certificates which she keeps on the wall of her eldest son, Boy.

He is a soldier, and unlike the others graduated with a school leaving qualification, and a youth award.

‘There might be 600 people in this slum. Not one of the families has a son who achieved this award,’ she said proudly, holding aloft a portrait of Boy receiving his award from a member of the royal family.

‘He’s the only one who has never disappointed me. He doesn’t smoke, or drink. He works hard, and looks after his Mum,’ she said.

Ball and his younger brother Beer must have heard this story 100 times before, I thought – about how their angelic elder brother outshines them all.

While Boy has no discernible faults, Ball drinks, while Mr B is addicted to computer games.

Mum still loves the other kids, of course. Boy is merely the pride of the household – its public face which she can show the world when it drops in for a visit.

Boy looks most like his Dad - Mum's husband, now deceased - while the others take after Mum herself.

‘I don’t have any ugly children – that’s a good thing at least,’ she said.

1 comment:

  1. 9 comments:

    Anonymous28 March 2010 at 20:55
    I would really like to get Maiyuu's side of this story. Personally I think he is hurting and feels he is just the kept cook in the house. If I was him, I wouldn't be giving you any lovin' either.
    You seem to want the best of both worlds.

    chris

    ReplyDelete

    Anonymous28 March 2010 at 21:43
    pathetic! keeping him on for some more time for cooking! Go overseas alone during your ten years anniversary. How selfish can u get

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer29 March 2010 at 02:21
    Chris: Of course, you'd know, wouldn't you, whether he's 'hurting' or not. That's why he jokes about it - to increase his own pain!

    Anon: Yes, dearest. You people get wound up so easily.

    ReplyDelete

    hendrikbkk29 March 2010 at 03:24
    Lately, the comments and your reply are even more fun to read then your (non)adventures with Ball!
    There are some readers out there who totally don't get your way of writing on your boyfriend and Ball and his family; their comments make amusing reading.
    I like your boyfriend's idea of a festive divorce and his reaction on 'the other wife'!

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer29 March 2010 at 03:32
    Hendrik: They are dullards. I am pleased you get it, though. The English language isn't dead yet!

    ReplyDelete

    TAO29 March 2010 at 05:25
    You know Bkkdreamer you could satisfy everyone by writing up a dream entry where you 'harvest' Ball...

    ReplyDelete

    Joyce Lau29 March 2010 at 09:15
    Wow, 10 years. I didn't realize you and your bf had been together so long.
    I came to Hong Kong 11 years ago -- so it's pretty close. Time flies, doesn't it?
    So, are you taking a holiday back home sometime soon?

    ReplyDelete

    Orn29 March 2010 at 15:27
    happy anniversary!!! Don't let any negative comments upset you!

    I look forward to reading your next update.

    ReplyDelete

    Bkkdreamer29 March 2010 at 19:03
    Chairman Tao: Maybe so, but I don't want to harvest him, or even think about it. However, I do wonder sometimes how the 'dynamic' between us would change if his girlfriend wasn't around.

    Joyce: I am going to see my parents in September. The last 10 years did go fast.

    I still remember taking trips to the bowling alley with Maiyuu in the early days.

    I used to carry a little notebook around with me, in which I had scribbled Thai words. I tried learning them even as I tossed those heavy balls down the alleyway.

    I was never much good at bowling, but I still remember fondly our little excursions.

    Orn: Thank you, my dear. Encouraging words are always welcome, as are air kisses blown at your computer. If I sit at the correct angle, they usually land on my right cheek.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, in English or Thai (I can't read anything else). Anonymous posting is discouraged, unless you'd like to give yourself a name at the bottom of your post, so we can tell who you are.